More Bus Moves

sw4400

Has CTA started adding more trains to the Blue Line? I noticed the other day a Blue Line train (going to O'hare) on the Eisenhower with a 3xx run, and then a few days ago, an 8 car "Not in Service" train (going to 54th Yard?) near the Pulaski Pink Line station which is unusual as most trains on the Pink Line are 4/6 cars. I also saw a few days ago a 3200 series train passing 50th Ave between Cicero and 54th/Cermak with an O'hare destination sign but I don't know if that was on purpose or if the sign was stuck on O'hare.

59 minutes ago, Agent said:

Has CTA started adding more trains to the Blue Line? I noticed the other day a Blue Line train (going to O'hare) on the Eisenhower with a 3xx run, and then a few days ago, an 8 car "Not in Service" train (going to 54th Yard?) near the Pulaski Pink Line station which is unusual as most trains on the Pink Line are 4/6 cars. I also saw a few days ago a 3200 series train passing 50th Ave between Cicero and 54th/Cermak with an O'hare destination sign but I don't know if that was on purpose or if the sign was stuck on O'hare.

Check the supplement 5000s thread for details ??

4 hours ago, strictures said:

I saw a CTA New Flyer 40' with the destination sign of "Police Charter", parked on Chestnut next to the Hancock Building.  It was run P675.  Is that for hauling a lot of cops around or for mass arrests?   I assume it was there in case of a Not Guilty verdict in the Van Dyke trial.

I also saw a lot of buses (6+?) near the Humboldt Park boathouse with a NOT IN SERVICE destination sign and surrounded by police. I'm also assuming they were preparing for anything something bad.

8 hours ago, Agent said:

I also saw a lot of buses (6+?) near the Humboldt Park boathouse with a NOT IN SERVICE destination sign and surrounded by police. I'm also assuming they were preparing for anything something bad.

That was on the news, too.

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

There were demonstrations, not protests, if that helps anything.

There weren't the predicted riots which led to clearing Loop offices and the schools, which was the probable reason for such sightings as artics on 3.

1 hour ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Well I think it's safe to say that 103rd will be getting Novas. I saw 7903 today in the garage as I was pulling in the mechanic said we're getting 14 of them. I'm guessing 7900-13 but don't quote me on the bus numbers I'm just going off the bus I saw at the garage.

That seems to explain why the lower 7900s haven't been on  math 's tracker the past couple of days. Thanks.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Well I think it's safe to say that 103rd will be getting Novas. I saw 7903 today in the garage as I was pulling in the mechanic said we're getting 14 of them. I'm guessing 7900-13 but don't quote me on the bus numbers I'm just going off the bus I saw at the garage.

I'm curious as to why? Is 103rd still short on buses?  I don't think  14 Nova take care of any security issues as far as shields go.  

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I'm curious as to why? Is 103rd still short on buses?  I don't think  14 Nova take care of any security issues as far as shields go.  

I heard it's for night car operators. But I have a hunch we'll be getting the remainder novas too only reason I say that is because after the red line terminal is finished im sure cta is gonna want new buses at the new terminal lol at least initially they will lol.

43 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said:

I heard it's for night car operators. But I have a hunch we'll be getting the remainder novas too 

That  would be a  surprise.  Consider that FG still has a lot of 6400s, it seems they have a more dire need for them.  I also thought that FG was promised those 25 buses.  Besides, it would seem to be a  waste to use new buses for  owl  service only.

1 hour ago, Mr.cta85 said:

I heard it's for night car operators. But I have a hunch we'll be getting the remainder novas too only reason I say that is because after the red line terminal is finished im sure cta is gonna want new buses at the new terminal lol at least initially they will lol.

The way things appear, that wouldn't be for another year, unless CTA has made magical progress on construction of the north stationhouse from scratch and the pedestrian bridge.

27 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

That  would be a  surprise.  Consider that FG still has a lot of 6400s, it seems they have a more dire need for them.  I also thought that FG was promised those 25 buses.  Besides, it would seem to be a  waste to use new buses for  owl  service only.

Again, the old logical conundrum that something does not imply the converse. Owl service may be only Novas, but Novas would not be only owl service, as indicated, for instance,by that N5 is interlined with 95.

34 minutes ago, Busjack said:

The way things appear, that wouldn't be for another year, unless CTA has made magical progress on construction of the north stationhouse from scratch and the pedestrian bridge.

Again, the old logical conundrum that something does not imply the converse. Owl service may be only Novas, but Novas would not be only owl service, as indicated, for instance,by that N5 is interlined with 95.

Going by the math I'd hope they wouldn't keep them to just owl service.  That means only 7 buses out of 14 would be used (4 for N5 and 2-3 for N34) Even bigger waste if the other 25 come with. 

1 minute ago, Sam92 said:

Going by the math I'd hope they wouldn't keep them to just owl service.  That means only 7 buses out of 14 would be used (4 for N5 and 2-3 for N34) Even bigger waste if the other 25 come with. 

The math I cited was 9th grade University of Illinois math. I guess you didn't get the point I was making in my reply to Art.

3 minutes ago, Busjack said:

The math I cited was 9th grade University of Illinois math. I guess you didn't get the point I was making in my reply to Art.

Oh I get your point perfectly due to the the way schedules and interlines come in to play the novas still be seen in the evening or in the early morning up to 9-10am.  If anything I was chiming in for the fact that it would be odd to aquire 14 buses just to try and keep them on night runs which are like 7 at match.  It would be a pretty high spare ratio is my point ??

Just now, Sam92 said:

Oh I get your point perfectly due to the the way schedules and interlines come in to play the novas still be seen in the evening or in the early morning up to 9-10am.  If anything I was chiming in for the fact that it would be odd to aquire 14 buses just to try and keep them on night runs which are like 7 at match.  It would be a pretty high spare ratio is my point ??

Actually, you didn't. The N5 was only illustrative. Nothing to say some wouldn't run a 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. shift, come back, and go out again at midnight.

The only relevant thing at this point is that the only owl routes from 103rd are N5 and 34; that looks like 4 buses on N5 and 2 on 34.

1 minute ago, Busjack said:

Actually, you didn't. The N5 was only illustrative. Nothing to say some wouldn't run a 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. shift, come back, and go out again at midnight.

The only relevant thing at this point is that the only owl routes from 103rd are N5 and 34; that looks like 4 buses on N5 and 2 on 34.

I mean I may not have quoted exactly what you're thinking but I know your point is due to scheduling rules etc they wouldn't be seen just in owl hours only even if the goal were to keep them for just night cars cause as we both are saying either way night car runs also have a bit of daytime or evening work tied into it just to keep in compliance

5 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

if the goal were to keep them for just night cars

No, my point was that night cars would only be Novas, not what you said. Go back to where I gave

7 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

a 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. shift, come back, and go out again at midnight.

Maybe some buses have to be added if there are relief buses at say, 2 a.m., but  @Mr.cta85 would know better about that than I would.

9 minutes ago, Busjack said:

No, my point was that night cars would only be Novas, not what you said. Go back to where I gave

Maybe some buses have to be added if there are relief buses at say, 2 a.m., but  @Mr.cta85 would know better about that than I would.

I don't recall disagreeing about night cars being novas only.  I was saying it would be odd to keep them night cars only and have such a high spare ratio which is why I bought in the math and scheduling points to support your point of "yeah even though novas could be night car only but novas wouldn't be something that only comes out when the clock strikes midnight" on top of point that a 50% ratio seems odd.