More Bus Moves

sw4400

13 hours ago, ThirdRailVision said:

It has been going southbound from Howard to some unknown point down the NSML, then coming back up on the same track ~15 minutes later, pretty much everyday around 11:00am for the past week. Here is a video I took of it crossing Sheridan Road off Devon ave. Any ideas why? 

IMG_5131.MOV

How come it played sideways on my computer?

14 hours ago, ThirdRailVision said:

It has been going southbound from Howard to some unknown point down the NSML, then coming back up on the same track ~15 minutes later, pretty much everyday around 11:00am for the past week. Here is a video I took of it crossing Sheridan Road off Devon ave. Any ideas why? 

IMG_5131.MOV

What does NSML stand for? Im thinking "North Shore etc etc".

19 hours ago, ThirdRailVision said:

IMG_5131.MOV

Operator familiarization for the upcoming season. Done every year so the Skokie switchmen who would run it in a snowstorm remember how to work it.

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

Looks like CTA should buy some motor coaches. I've known the "bad taco" feeling.

I've had to go in the middle of a route before.  Two things worked in my favor.  First I was caught at a RR crossing by a freight train.   Secondly,  I had a motorcoach with a lavatory.   Since then, I was careful with wat and when I ate and drank before driving.

2 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I've had to go in the middle of a route before.  Two things worked in my favor.  First I was caught at a RR crossing by a freight train.   Secondly,  I had a motorcoach with a lavatory.   Since then, I was careful with wat and when I ate and drank before driving.

I've been on a few CTA buses where the driver took a 'personal' to hit the toilet.  As i have serious gut problems, i fully understand & always know where every McDonald's, Burger King, Target, large grocery stores & medical offices are on my route

12 hours ago, Aiden Tabucic said:

“3200” used to be a 3200 series car but cta did changes on the numbering’s so now the 3200’s start with 3201 

Nope. L car series start with 01, so 3200 (which exists or existed) is a 2600 (Transit America). Always has been.

Similarly, since the 2400s started with 2401, 2600 was a 2400 (Boeing-Vertol).

If you look at any intact married pair, the even car is the higher number.

Or maybe you have an alternative world explanation for this.

MenofBudd.jpg

Embedded from the above source.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Notice a lot of drivers spend time cracking jokes when switching midroute for a shift change....  Guess cta's providing COMEDIC RELIEF ??

They have to do something, now that they don't have to crank the run box and reset the fare registers. But you gave "street relief" a new meaning.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, jajuan said:

Spotted a Kedzie NF marked as an instruction bus rolling SB along Damen on Monday afternoon. Makes me wonder if Kedzie is gaining runs on the #50 in the upcoming winter pick changeover on the bus operation side of things.

If true, then K may have to  give up something like 35 and 39 to 77th or 134 and 143 to C. The 50 is a heavy route and I don't think  K has space for additional  buses..

6 hours ago, artthouwill said:

If true, then K may have to  give up something like 35 and 39 to 77th or 134 and 143 to C. The 50 is a heavy route and I don't think  K has space for additional  buses..

Would be true if 50 was still a Kedzie route. However, it's run by North Park.

Probably just sharing runs with North Park like North Park does with 74th for Western.

2 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Probably just sharing runs with North Park like North Park does with 74th for Western.

We know North Park currently runs it.  Jajuan speculated that it COULD be moving to K for the next pick.  You're  right that it COULD share with P.  Or it COULD return to K.  Or K COULD have some school trippers.  We will soon see.

10 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I don't see tge expresses going to C unless about 15-20 artics come with

On 12/12/2018 at 11:35 AM, artthouwill said:

On 12/12/2018 at 6:20 PM, sw4400 said:

Art is correct. Read upward. He was responding to my speculation of whether K might get some runs in some way on the #50 in the next pick, which is starting Sunday, after I spotted a bus from K doing an instruction drive along Damen on Monday afternoon. We were not speaking on as it operates in the here and now. We were discussing possibilities of the very near future winter pick based on my early in the week observation. And yeah I agree with Sam that moving K's LSD expresses would involve C taking on artics again since 134 uses artics both rush periods and 143 uses them in the PM. And C didn't want to keep artics to operate the 66, so it's doubtful that they would take artics in the future. So my musing was more toward K possibly doing partial coverage of the 50 either through sharing similar to how NP and 74th share the 49 and X49 or maybe school tripper runs. And that's if my observation actually indicates anything. By the way, CTA confirmed in the weekday service changes dated for next, that the 132 had its final day of service today and that it will be gone effective Monday. 

• Upvote 1