More Bus Moves

sw4400

6 hours ago, Busjack said:

MAYOR RAHM EMANUEL ANNOUNCES MORE BUS LANES.

While the S-T makes a big deal that it is city money, streets are a CDOT responsibility. Also demonstrates how much ridership has deteriorated.

Finally, the city is willing to make at least a token change to streets to improve bus service. CDOT needs to do a complete re-think, and get rid of some parking spots and create more standing zones for Uber/Lyft and deliveries and whatnot (although that's complicated by the parking meter operations).

Bus lanes on Chicago Ave should be relatively easy to implement from Noble to Fairbanks, but I'm not really familiar with 79th on the east side so I can't comment on that. I hope that they also get rid of some stops and improve the remaining ones. 

15 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

although that's complicated by the parking meter operations).

That's correct, as the city would have to pay off the concessionaire.

15 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

but I'm not really familiar with 79th on the east side so I can't comment on that. 

Problem is that between State and Stony Island, 79th is one lane each way, and, as is typical of Chicago streets, there are 4 way stop signs where there aren't stop lights. No way to manage an arterial. Also, a lot of on-street parking in one of the few still successful south side business districts.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Busjack said:

MAYOR RAHM EMANUEL ANNOUNCES MORE BUS LANES.

While the S-T makes a big deal that it is city money, streets are a CDOT responsibility. Also demonstrates how much ridership has deteriorated.

Also confirms the already known fact that Ashland BRT ain't happening any time soon if ever in favor of bringing back X9 and X49. 

3 hours ago, XE NewFlyer said:

oh, well thats good they can actually run for more than 45 minutes a day

Which is fiction, because all the tracker watchers established that they could at least cover a 2 to 10 pm shift, and it was reported that the range was around 85 miles. So what was your source? 

9 hours ago, Busjack said:

Which is fiction, because all the tracker watchers established that they could at least cover a 2 to 10 pm shift, and it was reported that the range was around 85 miles. So what was your source? 

you may be right as both buses ran for 7 or 8 hours straight when they were at kedzie i have also done some miscalculation  77th ran 701 from 6:10 to 9:50 according to the math's tracker on october 4th but that's still only 2 hours and 40 minutes a day 

On 10/8/2018 at 3:06 PM, Mr.cta85 said:

I heard it's for night car operators. But I have a hunch we'll be getting the remainder novas too only reason I say that is because after the red line terminal is finished im sure cta is gonna want new buses at the new terminal lol at least initially they will lol.

I highly doubt that you guys are getting more than the 14 you heard from the mechanic. It's far more likely that you guys are getting a few to cover your night cars as the mechanic told you if in fact you're getting more than the one that you've seen inside the garage. On that front, I've noticed that the garages that already have the assigned have moved to using mostly Novas for their night cars. The 49 for example, which 74th handles alone in owl hours, went from NFs primarily to being all Nova overnight except for one bus. 

If i'm reading this correctly, I believe the 93 and the 206 are also interlined as well, although only on Mondays. 4341 started the 1:40p or 1:41p trip on the 93 that starts at Foster/Albany and ends at ETHS. Notably, one of those trips returns as a 93 to Foster (2:23p), but one doesn't. 206 has a 2:18 departure from ETHS, which would explain why the next stops are Church & Florence and Church & Wesley.

Capture.PNG

On 10/21/2018 at 4:24 PM, jajuan said:

I highly doubt that you guys are getting more than the 14 you heard from the mechanic. It's far more likely that you guys are getting a few to cover your night cars as the mechanic told you if in fact you're getting more than the one that you've seen inside the garage. On that front, I've noticed that the garages that already have the assigned have moved to using mostly Novas for their night cars. The 49 for example, which 74th handles alone in owl hours, went from NFs primarily to being all Nova overnight except for one bus. 

Except 63, they still run mostly NFs on that route as owl service which I've been seeing.   They may as well transfer some Novas to North Park for Night cars on the 22.

34 minutes ago, qwantae said:

Except 63, they still run mostly NFs on that route as owl service which I've been seeing.   They may as well transfer some Novas to North Park for Night cars on the 22.

There's no need for that especially with others pointing out that Forest Glen still has just under 100 older Nova 6400s that still have to be retired from service. 

36 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Nobody mentioned the 75th anniversary of the subway. Apparently not to the 4000 series party cars, either, as ABC7 reported that they were delayed due to mechanical issues, and the Tribune just said the trip was canceled.

From what I heard, there was a power issue around the south incline, which also disrupted Green and Orange Line service. Patrick Kinney took a more recent picture of the set heading north past Armitage, probably to Howard or Skokie Shops...

47 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Nobody mentioned the 75th anniversary of the subway. Apparently not to the 4000 series party cars, either, as ABC7 reported that they were delayed due to mechanical issues, and the Tribune just said the trip was canceled.

The cta hastily made an announcement ~24 hours ago via Twitter with a link to a page on their website. Rides were to be organized via tickets that could be RSVP'd for online, which quickly sold out. Sad to hear that it was later canceled.

6 hours ago, strictures said:

Around 11:10 Am today, Oct. 31, S-503, the diesel powered snowbrush went through Howard & ended up on the layup track west of the Skokie Shop.  I didn't get any photos or video because I was just coming down the stairs & carrying some stuff.

It has been going southbound from Howard to some unknown point down the NSML, then coming back up on the same track ~15 minutes later, pretty much everyday around 11:00am for the past week. Here is a video I took of it crossing Sheridan Road off Devon ave. Any ideas why? 

IMG_5131.MOV