More Bus Moves

sw4400

15 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

353 and 355 downtown service never really recovered from Grumman crisis. Service was dramatically reduced as a result. Old schedules from 1979 vs mid 80's show massive cuts. 1982 Pace collapse didn't help either.

You still havenn't answered why it took 32 years after that to kill 355.

I read the official explanation, which I cited.

26 minutes ago, geneking7320 said:

I don't think this merits a new topic so I would like to ask:

When CTA's next electrics come in will they have a new livery or wrap?

While 700 and 701 did in fact have unique individual liveries when they came into CTA's possession, we likely won't know the answer to that until they actually get here. Despite the current electrics' liveries though, I would be surprised if they did have different liveries from standard. 

14 minutes ago, jajuan said:

While 700 and 701 did in fact have unique individual liveries when they came into CTA's possession, we likely won't know the answer to that until they actually get here. Despite the current electrics' liveries though, I would be surprised if they did have different liveries from standard. 

I agree with this. The livery on 700 and 701 is “promotional”, which is not as important now that more buses have been ordered. My bet is that they will be the standard colors, but with the words “Electric Bus” on top, similar to “Clean Air Hybrid Bus”.

A bit more about the 124. When it still Navy Pier Express. It actually did for a time still operate express on the way to Navy Pier after getting its own route number separate from the 121 per this map on this old schedule from June of 2000. Of course CTA later further modified the route and routed in along Washington and Madison, changing it from an express route to the local route that it currently is today. 

4 hours ago, sw4400 said:

There is.... here's the link, helps to put it in the reply to find it faster(good forum members help each other out ;) ). :)

6 hours ago, Busjack said:

There is a topic for up to 45 electric buses. Use it.

In this case, it was a minor faux pas given this is a random CTA thread, and therefore technically doesn't make the responses off topic. 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2018 at 9:05 AM, Busjack said:

You still havenn't answered why it took 32 years after that to kill 355.

I read the official explanation, which I cited.

The final reason was that it was too long with too few riders. Part of that was because the Ryan kept getting more and more congested and it became a very slow, long ride. Note too that it was not only cut to Hegewish, but made rush only, rush direction only. Basically it was declared hopeless. Remember in 1980 or so had all day service with maybe 20 rush trips via 130, via Sibley, and via 159. Then a long, slow riding loss, though service was still pretty good to the end, though the buses were pretty empty.

16 hours ago, jajuan said:

In this case, it was a minor faux pas given this is a random CTA thread, and therefore technically doesn't make the responses off topic. 

A rule of editing is to put it in the most specific place, which existed in this case. A reader's tendency is not to look for electric buses in a random thread, when a thread on electric buses specifically exists.

8 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

This is titled July 9th, but I can't remember seeing this before. Has this been talked about?

https://www.transitchicago.com/mayor-emanuel-unveils-design-for-new-cta-damen-green-line-station/

Yes it has. I suggest using the SEARCH function before posting. It reveals this topic.

If you aren't familiar with it, it is located as such:

search.thumb.png.994bf41e680722a838525bee44b6e890.png

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Busjack said:

Yes it has.... It reveals this topic....

That's all that's needed.... just the link, not the whole "search and find" rapport. I've been away on a live feed for quite some time, hence my long period of absence. And I've learned on that feed that working with the Moderators and various people who stop to chat that working together and helping when someone asks a question or is unsure makes a happier, more productive chat(or in this case, forum). We would post links and direct them to the links that were available when needed rather than just say "find it yourself". Being helpful to the follow chatter(or in this case, poster) goes a long way. :)

Let's work together and help each other! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

8 hours ago, Johnny 5 said:

Want to see the video about it?

Makes you wonder if the 2600s are starting to give enough trouble on the Blue Line to a degree of affecting service and making CTA feel a mixing of fleets on that line is necessary until the 7000s are in fact in service. 

Here's a mini footage of it right now!

45 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Makes you wonder if the 2600s are starting to give enough trouble on the Blue Line to a degree of affecting service and making CTA feel a mixing of fleets on that line is necessary until the 7000s are in fact in service. 

So at lease until mid-2019 I supposed?

3200_Series_on_Blue_Line_1.mp4

On 9/17/2018 at 3:13 AM, sw4400 said:

That's all that's needed.... just the link, not the whole "search and find" rapport. I've been away on a live feed for quite some time, hence my long period of absence. And I've learned on that feed that working with the Moderators and various people who stop to chat that working together and helping when someone asks a question or is unsure makes a happier, more productive chat(or in this case, forum). We would post links and direct them to the links that were available when needed rather than just say "find it yourself". Being helpful to the follow chatter(or in this case, poster) goes a long way. :)

Let's work together and help each other! :)

Since it has been declared that despite the Community Guideline "Is your post in the correct thread?" everything goes here, so does this.

After being flamed yesterday (the moderators took care of that), I'm no longer the servant for those who won't or can't do their own work.For instance, if I go to check out what is at Barrington Road or Linden Yard, I will no longer post it here. When the torrent of vile personal insults hit, I was working on trying to figure out what was interlined with 206 a.m. school trips; if I continue that project, I won't post the results here. I will no longer reply to comments on what I consider to be fantasy posts (such as what is today on the various cars on the Blue Line threads). And since this was a topic of the flamer (who was not you), I will no longer do searches and post links for people who are presumed to have sufficient computer skills to do it themselves.

Although the attribution and phraseology is disputed: "The Lord helps those that help themselves." I might have just taken the Lord's name in vain, but the same policy applies.

Thinking of a normal ~8.5-hour run, would the operator normally shuttle back and forth his entire shift with the same set of equipment?  During his meal break, would it be put on a layup track somewhere at the terminal, or would another operator take his original train out under a different number while he falls back three or four trains and takes a set of equipment that had just arrived when he returns?

Do you ever answer a simple question without finding some way to imply that the questioner is stupid?

Standing on a platform at Howard, I have no way of knowing who's an operator who just came in from 95th, who's a relief operator, and who's a hostler.  From mere observation, I have no way of knowing which trains are rush-period trippers that just pulled in with split-shift operators and which are baseline service runs headed back south.  I don't know if operators arriving from 95th run their trains around the loop and back to the SB platform, or if some other employee has that duty while the operator gets a bathroom break.

• Upvote 1