More Bus Moves

sw4400

3 hours ago, jajuan said:

Art is correct. Read upward. He was responding to my speculation of whether K might get some runs in some way on the #50 in the next pick, which is starting Sunday, after I spotted a bus from K doing an instruction drive along Damen on Monday afternoon. We were not speaking on as it operates in the here and now. We were discussing possibilities of the very near future winter pick based on my early in the week observation. And yeah I agree with Sam that moving K's LSD expresses would involve C taking on artics again since 134 uses artics both rush periods and 143 uses them in the PM. And C didn't want to keep artics to operate the 66, so it's doubtful that they would take artics in the future. So my musing was more toward K possibly doing partial coverage of the 50 either through sharing similar to how NP and 74th share the 49 and X49 or maybe school tripper runs. And that's if my observation actually indicates anything. By the way, CTA confirmed in the weekday service changes dated for next, that the 132 had its final day of service today and that it will be gone effective Monday. 

I think C and 77th would take artics for express but not locals

13 hours ago, Sam92 said:

I think C and 77th would take artics for express but not locals

I still doubt it because 77th could have been using at least a few of the artics it had for the #2 during the times that artics were there, but each time it gave its artics away. Fist to 103rd when the 6 moved back to 103rd after a few month stint during the early days of the 6 becoming the Jackson Park Express and then more recently to Chicago during that brief time artics covered the 66. 

18 hours ago, jajuan said:

I still doubt it because 77th could have been using at least a few of the artics it had for the #2 during the times that artics were there, but each time it gave its artics away. Fist to 103rd when the 6 moved back to 103rd after a few month stint during the early days of the 6 becoming the Jackson Park Express and then more recently to Chicago during that brief time artics covered the 66. 

I dont cause when 77th had the 6 they weren't in too much of a hurry to dump the 20 or so artics they had until 6 went to 103rd so it's more of a do we have a route that demands and can effectively use artics?  If so that garage could pick up a few even if only 15-25 for that route just like even though 66 isn't good with artics, moving 134/143 to Chicago would end up with them having 30 or so to run those 

On 12/15/2018 at 11:25 PM, Sam92 said:

I dont cause when 77th had the 6 they weren't in too much of a hurry to dump the 20 or so artics they had until 6 went to 103rd so it's more of a do we have a route that demands and can effectively use artics?  If so that garage could pick up a few even if only 15-25 for that route just like even though 66 isn't good with artics, moving 134/143 to Chicago would end up with them having 30 or so to run those 

Well it's all moot now anyway because winter pick changes started yesterday and the 50 is still at NP and 134 and 143 still at K. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ThirdRailVision said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PetroleYUM/permalink/1857359031042962/

Not really a bus guy but came across this on facebook. CTA bus spotted 800 miles away in the mountains of New York.

Any ideas what it’s doing out there? 

Below is a screenshot of the post just in case the link doesn’t work. 

1792FF9D-3FFD-4D5B-BF9F-ED38612FA890.jpeg

Why don't you look in the 7900s thread instead of assuming that everything is random?

Maybe you found out who @Novabus is, though.

2 hours ago, ThirdRailVision said:

Not really a bus guy but came across this on facebook. CTA bus spotted 800 miles away in the mountains of New York.

Zooming in on the picture, that is 8341 which is among the last 25 7900 series Novas that are  supposed to be delivered to Chicago by the end of this year.  No word yet on any of those last 25 being seen in Chicago yet.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I recently read something about possibly building a new Red Line station at 15th and Clark in conjunction with the new development the 78.

I recall something about a 78 station, but  it didn't say  exactly where. That location would appear to need a subway cut.  I  wonder if  anyone so planned in 1991.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I recently read something about possibly building a new Red Line station at 15th and Clark in conjunction with the new development the 78.

78 Development article pics with internal and external pics of proposed 15th/Clark Red Line station:

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/12/21/18150211/the-78-cta-red-line-related-midwest

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jtrosario said:

78 Development article pics with internal and external pics of proposed 15th/Clark Red Line station:

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/12/21/18150211/the-78-cta-red-line-related-midwest

"An online petition titled Save Cotton Tail has so far collected more than 350 signatures. In the comments, a number of the document’s supporters expressed concerns over the temporary loss of green space as well as the possibility of the station bringing new crime to the area."

Not like Roosevelt, Cermak-Chinatown, Cermak-McCormick or even 18th St Metra are impossible walking distances for current crime? Also, like there aren't 3-4 other parks also in walking distance either.

6 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Would a station at 15th really be necessary considering Roosevelt station, routes 18, 24,29, 62, and the Michigan routes are so close?  It's one thing to close a gap with an in fill but this seems a lot plus isn't an interlocking not too far away that would need to be moved?  

5 hours ago, jtrosario said:

Answered my question.

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Not like Roosevelt, Cermak-Chinatown, Cermak-McCormick or even 18th St Metra are impossible walking distances for current crime...

32 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Would a station at 15th really be necessary considering Roosevelt station, routes 18, 24,29, 62, and the Michigan routes are so close?  It's one thing to close a gap with an in fill but this seems a lot plus isn't an interlocking not too far away that would need to be moved?  

Other than Roosevelt, the other stations are over a mile away. The other question (as implied by the conflict between wards)  is how far  west the 78 is going to go.

However, the issue is the same as that raised by the Lincoln Yards transitway. If the areas develop to the extent the  proponents claim, they will generate ridership, the TIFs will pay for the improvements, and the transit will be needed to market the properties. Nobody is going to move there based on  infrequent service on many of the bus routes @Sam92 listed. On the other hand,  if this turns out like South Works, there won't be a station.

6 hours ago, Busjack said:

Answered my question.

Other than Roosevelt, the other stations are over a mile away. The other question (as implied by the conflict between wards)  is how far  west the 78 is going to go.

However, the issue is the same as that raised by the Lincoln Yards transitway. If the areas develop to the extent the  proponents claim, they will generate ridership, the TIFs will pay for the improvements, and the transit will be needed to market the properties. Nobody is going to move there based on  infrequent service on many of the bus routes @Sam92 listed. On the other hand,  if this turns out like South Works, there won't be a station.

On 15th the service would not be that infrequent most of those routes funnelling onto the same streets in thst area. I'm not saying the development won't spur ridership I'm just saying it seems to be a lot in an area that's not exactly hurting for service 

3 hours ago, Sam92 said:

On 15th the service would not be that infrequent most of those routes funnelling onto the same streets in thst area.

24 is every 17-18 minutes, 62 is too far south unless the only streets to which you are referring are State and Michigan, in which case the developers don't believe it is marketable. Similarly, from the linked articles, they don't think it is marketable unless the street grid is extended and some bridges added,

Heck, if I were them, I would advocate that the often mentioned Wells or Clinton subways be built through the property.

On 12/20/2018 at 2:16 PM, ThirdRailVision said:

Your pic shows that the remaining 25 Novas in the 7900s coming soon will not have rear windows similar to Nova hybrids that SEPTA recently received alongside some hybrid Xcelsiors they also got, not that the current CTA 7900s have much of one with the rear route number indicator taking up much of the space. 

On 12/23/2018 at 9:12 AM, Busjack said:

24 is every 17-18 minutes, 62 is too far south unless the only streets to which you are referring are State and Michigan, in which case the developers don't believe it is marketable. Similarly, from the linked articles, they don't think it is marketable unless the street grid is extended and some bridges added,

Heck, if I were them, I would advocate that the often mentioned Wells or Clinton subways be built through the property.

There's also the fact that the 62 operates on Roosevelt Road during the CTA owl hours, which helps give that stretch of Roosevelt 24 hour service. So I have to agree also that particular area is not hurting for service to really warrant putting another Red Line station so close to the south of Roosevelt in conjunction with the point about whether the station will smoothly enough to not interfere with how the interlocking and tunnel south of Roosevelt are aligned with each other especially when you also factor in the tunnels that lead up to the South Side Main. 

37 minutes ago, jajuan said:

There's also the fact that the 62 operates on Roosevelt Road during the CTA owl hours, which helps give that stretch of Roosevelt 24 hour service. So I have to agree also that particular area is not hurting for service to really warrant putting another Red Line station so close to the south of Roosevelt in conjunction with the point about whether the station will smoothly enough to not interfere with how the interlocking and tunnel south of Roosevelt are aligned with each other especially when you also factor in the tunnels that lead up to the South Side Main. 

Currently you are correct.  If the 78 is on a very large scale extending to 18th   a station at 15th could make sense.   IIRC the station would be south of the midtunnel interlocking. 

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Currently you are correct.  If the 78 is on a very large scale extending to 18th   a station at 15th could make sense.   IIRC the station would be south of the midtunnel interlocking. 

Even 18Th you still close to cermak.  I feel like we can use the time and resource to put something more dire on the priority list especially for all the disruptions this will cause to make this happen

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jajuan said:

While the area might not be hurting for transit in the general sense, the people who will be living in The 78 are probably more apt to ride the 'L' than the bus. 

8 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Even 18Th you still close to cermak.  I feel like we can use the time and resource to put something more dire on the priority list especially for all the disruptions this will cause to make this happen

I don't think people are going well fro Cermak toa job at, say, 16th and th Chicago River.  We are talking a high density development.  At least at 15th St station shortens walking distance.  At 14th and the River the distance between there and either Cermak or Roosevelt becomes unattractive.