More Bus Moves

sw4400

2 hours ago, cta5658 said:

what could go to 103rd in exchange?

Probably nothing in return for the summer. The UofC Kenwood routes, which are operated out of 103rd, now only operate during weekday rush periods until academics for the next year begin this September. At the same time, the MofS&I route, which is operated out of K, uses a few 40-footers to cover the trips. Thus, during the summer months 103rd doesn't need as many buses as it does normally.

This move is similar to the Pace bus transfers between N and W.

8 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Other Flyers possibly 1500’s 1600’s 1700’s and maybe some 4000’s 

Wow If they do swap buses what sense does it make to swap 15 16 17 for some 10' & beyond their the same buses just wondering cuz I never understood why swap for the same models 

6 hours ago, Shannon CVPI said:

Wow If they do swap buses what sense does it make to swap 15 16 17 for some 10' & beyond their the same buses just wondering cuz I never understood why swap for the same models 

When it comes to same models it could be also because of mileage too. Despite the series numbers, all new flyers got the same gut rehab so being the same model isn't a problem ???.

19 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

When it comes to same models it could be also because of mileage too. Despite the series numbers, all new flyers got the same gut rehab so being the same model isn't a problem ???.

Aw ok I had always found that strange I was thinking since they was the same swap for something different but got ya 

• Upvote 1

Thinking about the 6400 situation at FG, it reminded me of when WMATA did something similar with their Metrobus Virginia operations. Important to note, while CTA routes tend to be longer than WMATA ones, WMATA has a much bigger service area (almost 3 times the size if my rough calculations were correct)

Years ago (before 2008, I believe), WMATA had three VA garages, Four Mile Run (F), Arlington (A) and Royal Street (R) (which are all about as close together as 74th, 77th & 103rd). Together, these garages served every Metrobus route in VA and they were all served exclusively by Orion VIIs. Now, the Orion VIIs Metrobus had weren't that old, certainly not as old as CTA's 6400s, but bar a small amount based out of Bladensburg (B), the only other CNG garage in the system in DC, every single Orion VII would serve in VA. Some might make it out, only to get sent right back next pick.

This was the system for quite a while; things didn't change until 2008, when Arlington closed and West Ox (V) opened (think closing Chicago and then opening a garage out in Downers Grove). Still, the Orion VII dominance, persisted; it wasn't until some people in DC got fed up with how the DE35LFA's were allocated that they got sent to West Ox and Shepard Pkwy (DC garage that deals with a lot of small, windy, neighborhood routes). This became the system, from about 2008-2014. Meanwhile, older Orion VIIs in DC got sent to VA as WMATA had the C40LFs rehabbed and Orion Vs started the retirement process.

Around 2015-2017, the C40LFs and some Orion VIIs are replaced with XN40s. This is about where CTA is with the 6400s, as not all of the Orion VIIs are gone. They've been consolidated between Bladensburg and the last original VA garage, Four Mile Run. Royal Street closed in 2014 and it's replacement, Cinder Bed Rd opened this year (think closing 103rd and opening a a garage in Homewood or Flossmoor. Funnily enough, the Orion Vs were being retired during this time, the only ones left were at garages with heavy maintenance shops, Bladensburg & Landover, until after a while, a bunch got reactivated and sent to Cinder Bed Rd. Cue complaints about VA having the oldest buses in the fleet (nevermind that some of the Orion VIIs were being replaced with fresh out the shops XN40s). For posterity, here are the buses in VA as of this point in time (circa 2016-2017ish)

• DE35LFA / West Ox (VA), Shepard Pkwy (DC) / 8-9 years old
  • Orion VII (35ft/40ft) / Four Mile Run (VA), Bladensburg (DC) / 10-12 years old
  • Orion V / Cinder Bed Rd (VA), Bladensburg (DC), Landover (MD) / 16-17 years old

Now, in modern times, more XN40s have come, and WMATA has also been able to expand the fleet in general, and also make some managerial decisions to alleviate concerns:

• A significant amount of MD buses, primarily DE40LFAs and a few XDE40s, from Landover & Montgomery garages, got relocated to West Ox and/or Cinder Bed Rd 
  • Shepard Pkwy, a DC garage, is located fairly close to where the southern portion of the Beltway crosses from MD into VA and vice versa. Some VA routes that end/begin near the Beltway on the VA side got transferred there. Metroway (our BRT) was even even run from here temporarily). Shepard Pkwy has Xcelsiors (both 40 & 60 ft), some of the last NABIs ever made and older Restyled BRT flyers.
  • The relocation of garages in VA. Before 2008, all 3 VA garages were located fairly close to DC and urban centers in VA, but WMATA routes ran much farther than that. Aside from cheaper land, WMATA was able to dramatically reduce deadhead costs, as many routes were/are peak-directional, and would now end near a garage instead of having to return half of the way back. 4MR is still centrally located, but Cinder Bed Rd & West Ox (a weekday only garage incidentally) are at the far end of WMATA's service area, making it easier to dispatch and accept buses.

Eventually, the 6400s will be gone (or maybe even moved to 77th) and then we'll speculate on what'll replace the 1000s, which I do believe is the largest single order of buses in the US, except maybe something from NY? It'll be interesting to see if we get 1000 of the same bus or many different manufacturers (especially since CTA will put out a bid that all 4 manufacturers can bid on)

Thanks for coming to my TED talk!

• Like 2

On 6/17/2019 at 5:23 PM, Mr.cta85 said:

1197 and 98 were from 77th ????

Yeah you guys haven't had those two for quite a while. I believe it may be about a couple of years. As I recall, they were at 103rd only a few months once the big swaporama of NFs to consolidate fleet numbers settled down, after which they did in fact end up at 77th. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Make.  Your.   Own.   Roster.

Reread his post. He was sharing a brief summary of what moved from FG to C, NP and K for the summer increases in service at those other three garages. Not making a judgment on others' efforts on roster tracking. So you were being a tad rude there. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

Reread his post. He was sharing a brief summary of what moved from FG to C, NP and K for the summer increases in service at those other three garages. Not making a judgment on others' efforts on roster tracking. So you were being a tad rude there. 

Sorry if it came out as "rude" but he has always been judging roster tracking lol.  Let me quote what he said again:

23 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

This is what the roster should look like 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Sorry if it came out as "rude" but he has always been judging roster tracking lol.  Let me quote what he said again:

Yea I said should and also I wasn’t being rude jajuan is right I’m just putting a brief summary of what each garage got for the summer pick I’m not a roster tracker