More Bus Moves

sw4400

A run number is based on what route that run is on the largest percentage of the day. As a result a given route you could see run numbers from four or five groups since many runs now work more than one route. For instance a 29-State run that also does a half on 112-Vincennes/111th would have a 29 series run number while on 112 if the 29 half is longer, or a 112 run number if the 112 half is. The run number groups haven't changed in years, though.

Is it just me or do the new flyer 1000s sound like street cleaners when the air conditioners on on the buses. I was at Damen and Irving park one day waiting for the 80 Irving park and it was a new flyer, I could hear the bus all the way at Irving park and Ravenswood. It sounded like a street cleaner. I’ve heard them sound like that around the city too. Is it a bad thing that they make that street cleaner sound? 

1 hour ago, Manny018 said:

Is it just me or do the new flyer 1000s sound like street cleaners when the air conditioners on on the buses. I was at Damen and Irving park one day waiting for the 80 Irving park and it was a new flyer, I could hear the bus all the way at Irving park and Ravenswood. It sounded like a street cleaner. I’ve heard them sound like that around the city too. Is it a bad thing that they make that street cleaner sound? 

I love when they do that and no it’s not a bad thing it’s because the driver has the a/c cranked to the Max 

BTW wrong topic for this post 

1 hour ago, sw4400 said:

I've been waiting to update the roster, but it keeps showing as "not running or doesn't exist", 1052 and 1791 also.

You can put 1791 under North park I seen it on tracker the 2nd day after it the move 1052 as well went to C with 1053 1054-1055 are at C I think 1055 and 1052 went back to 103rd idk why they are not on tracker 

17 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Did a lady’s body really get split in half at 69th earlier today? I’m hearing that 

If she got caught btwn the train and the platform, it's possible. Enough platform and train speed and the body can twist right in half. However, CCC hasn't released any details about her death yet

55 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Did a lady’s body really get split in half at 69th earlier today? I’m hearing that 

I don't think we need that detail here, either. Just "Accident with a passenger at 69th caused Service Disruption on the Red Line" will do.

I wonder why they decided to just shut all service down past 69th? There are crossovers north of every station from Sox on south (63rd is the only non (x) crossover), why not reduce the load and run 79th-95th train and have the link from there? Cuts down on buses for the shuttle bridge and you only need 2 trains to run that.

Having now typed this, it made me realize CTA is really dedicated to having some form of track crossing btwn each station more so than any system I know, bar maybe NYC (DC & Philly could definitely use more)

16 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I wonder why they decided to just shut all service down past 69th? There are crossovers north of every station from Sox on south (63rd is the only non (x) crossover), why not reduce the load and run 79th-95th train and have the link from there? Cuts down on buses for the shuttle bridge and you only need 2 trains to run that.

Having now typed this, it made me realize CTA is really dedicated to having some form of track crossing btwn each station more so than any system I know, bar maybe NYC (DC & Philly could definitely use more)

My guess would be power cutoff. I don't think the CTA has the ability to cutoff power for just one track, power probably has to be cutoff for the entire stretch(both tracks) they are working at.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

My guess would be power cutoff. I don't think the CTA has the ability to cutoff power for just one track, power probably has to be cutoff for the entire stretch(both tracks) they are working at.

Mhm, didn't think about that. Tangentially, Reminds me of the recent kerfuffle in Seattle where some people were complaining about the additional cost for building 1500v substations for their light rail and then not accepting the answer that it allowed them to cut down on the amount of substations built and run more/longer trains