More Bus Moves

sw4400

On 7/6/2019 at 9:53 PM, jajuan said:

Actually I read. Just ignored it pretty much because it was politico style double speak.?

Also that can be further narrowed down by whether it had a rear exhaust pipe at the top. 5765-5769 (5765 was also non-Cummins) didn't have the typical external exhaust pipe if memory serves correctly. So if the exhaust pipe is missing, it's one of those. If it does, then it can't be either of those five.

If you blow the picture up, you can see the slight slant of the rear of the bus a bit more clearly. You can also see that the rear route identifier display juts out some from the rear surface panels, further indicating that this is the police bus that used to be a former CTA Metro B. And yeah it's likely that the bus was at SS for some type of maintenance work. I remember @CTA5750 mentioning that it's a similar situation for the former 5800 series New Flyer that's now a Chicago Fire Department bus that they keep at the station house located on California at Fillmore on the west side (the last updated location I remember him giving for the bus). The bus may now be CFD property but CTA still helps out with refueling and maintenance. 

Yes, the CPD bus 6999 is exCTA #5678.  The CFD Oxygen bus (8-8-11) NF is former CTA #5858. The Academy bus I operate is exCTA 6163  We also had 5800 but that was sold off.  We were trying to obtain a Nova from FG as a replacement for #6163  But nothing has come about in that   Im hoping upon the retirement of 6163 to send it to IRM   The have already agreed to take it.    

2 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

Yes, the CPD bus 6999 is exCTA #5678.  The CFD Oxygen bus (8-8-11) NF is former CTA #5858. The Academy bus I operate is exCTA 6163  We also had 5800 but that was sold off.  We were trying to obtain a Nova from FG as a replacement for #6163  But nothing has come about in that   Im hoping upon the retirement of 6163 to send it to IRM   The have already agreed to take it.    

Yea I know about the new fire that kick it at the firehouse outwest 

6 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

I was really hoping CTA would take it back and restore it to its original condition like they did the former fishbowls and new looks. 

5 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

I was really hoping CTA would take it back and restore it to its original condition like they did the former fishbowls and new looks. 

Wonder if those Flxibles in the SS junkyard are salvageable for restoration. Probably not, as they're labeled scrap.

2 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

I would love to buy a current NF 

It would be nice if you could,but CTA will deny you that ability. They usually cut the lines and drain all the fluids and run the bus until it seizes(at least they did with 1606 back in 2002). That was sad, as that Flyer could've probably been saved to be part of IRM perhaps, or even the CTA Heritage Fleet.1606left.jpg

12 hours ago, sw4400 said:

It would be nice if you could,but CTA will deny you that ability. They usually cut the lines and drain all the fluids and run the bus until it seizes(at least they did with 1606 back in 2002). That was sad, as that Flyer could've probably been saved to be part of IRM perhaps, or even the CTA Heritage Fleet.1606left.jpg

I miss these I remember riding them on Pulaski and Cicero back in 01 and 02

20 hours ago, sw4400 said:

An engine can be replaced. I'm sure there is a nf around somewhere that could swap engines with it. The big problem is someone can sue cta if like say they fell through a rotted floor so ownership is a liability on the cta. CTA needs to partner up with places like IRM and together they could get the buses restored and usable. I'm sure the chicago film industry would be interested in a period vehicle. CTA could have tours of its system and. buses. MTA has a museum why not CTA? These vehicles are iconic. I'm sure IRM has earned alot of money over the years. 

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

An engine can be replaced. I'm sure there is a nf around somewhere that could swap engines with it. The big problem is someone can sue cta if like say they fell through a rotted floor so ownership is a liability on the cta. CTA needs to partner up with places like IRM and together they could get the buses restored and usable. I'm sure the chicago film industry would be interested in a period vehicle. CTA could have tours of its system and. buses. MTA has a museum why not CTA? These vehicles are iconic. I'm sure IRM has earned alot of money over the years. 

If only active trains weren't running through them, Racine/63rd would be such a good place for a CTA museum

On 7/10/2019 at 5:02 PM, YoungBusLover said:

You never know!!!  There are always a possibility!!! 

On 7/10/2019 at 10:13 PM, WCR said:

Wonder if those Flxibles in the SS junkyard are salvageable for restoration. Probably not, as they're labeled scrap.

CTA wont release any of those buses  We tried to appraoch CTA for parts to keep our Flx running  It worked to some degree. Our bus was fixed by mechanics at 89th. Im assuming they grabbed parts of the "scrap" line since Flx is no longer in business   One vehicle I wish would be restored would be Flxible propane #8281 if it still exsits. Equip it with a diesel engine like 8499  

9 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

You never know!!!  There are always a possibility!!! 

I hope so, all #6163 would need is major cleanup and re-wrap of its original livery. I could be wrong though on that since I don't know its actual running condition. I haven't seen it in several months. 

On 7/12/2019 at 5:55 PM, YoungBusLover said:

I hope so, all #6163 would need is major cleanup and re-wrap of its original livery. I could be wrong though on that since I don't know its actual running condition. I haven't seen it in several months. 

The bus itself is clean and runs in good shape  Being 24 yr old bus, It has to be treated with a little more care of course!  But its age is certainly showing  

Its 2 old 6000 series flix buses parked right next to each other between 106th and 108th and Torrence both parked behind a gate along with a couple of school buses as well. I wish It was somebody I could talk to about those buses. If I have the money for it I would love to take 1 of those buses for myself lol. I've always wanted to drive those buses but time I started in 2012 they were already 2yrs retired from service. From the outside they look decent still they're stripped of their cta paint and I have no idea the shape their in. If any of you know that location you should check them out 1 day.

8 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Its 2 old 6000 series flix buses parked right next to each other between 106th and 108th and Torrence both parked behind a gate along with a couple of school buses as well. I wish It was somebody I could talk to about those buses. If I have the money for it I would love to take 1 of those buses for myself lol. I've always wanted to drive those buses but time I started in 2012 they were already 2yrs retired from service. From the outside they look decent still they're stripped of their cta paint and I have no idea the shape their in. If any of you know that location you should check them out 1 day.

Yeah, those have been their for a minute, at least 8-9 months if not a year or more based on the last time I took the 100. A quick google maps look suggests they may be owned by "Speedy Gonzalez Landscaping" although I couldn't fathom what they'd need those buses for.

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Yeah, those have been their for a minute, at least 8-9 months if not a year or more based on the last time I took the 100. A quick google maps look suggests they may be owned by "Speedy Gonzalez Landscaping" although I couldn't fathom what they'd need those buses for.

2 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Are they plain white or are they former fresh moves buses from 2010-2012? 77th still has one of them parked on the southern wall of the boneyard amongst oos D40LFs,LFS's and 2nd gen LFS's and it appears to be in running condition. This was the only angle I could get from the last time I went down there in April.

DSCN0661.JPG

28 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Are they plain white or are they former fresh moves buses from 2010-2012? 77th still has one of them parked on the southern wall of the boneyard amongst oos D40LFs,LFS's and 2nd gen LFS's and it appears to be in running condition. This was the only angle I could get from the last time I went down there in April.

DSCN0661.JPG

Both were plain white last time I went past

6 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Both were plain white last time I went past

Ohh the CFD rejects, If my memory serves me right they were formerly given to the CFD around 2010 or 2011 and then they pretty much disappeared off of the radar. I wonder how they ended up there and how long have they been there. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Ok listen up everyone this is a “More Bus Moves” Topic put all that stuff ^^^ up there into “Random CTA” Topic @MetroShadow would you mind doing that 

You should really check out the first page bud......

"To ask this question, so I don't go off-topic in another thread, I thought I'd create this one...

Today, I boarded CTA Bus #6102 operating the #152. It sounded different than usual. Noiser and more turbo sound on acceleration. Anyone else know if this bus just has a bad exaust system, a turbo system added or turned on in the Detroit Series-50 engine on it, or has it been fitted with a Cummins C8.3 engine? The sound reminded me vaguely of a Cummins C8.3 6300-Series bus(noisy engine + turbo sound during acceleration).

You may use this thread to share stories about a ride on the CTA Buses/Trains, but please watch your words(The CTA has many people that anger us, both Operators and Passengers, but we must keep a civil tone here)!!!

No personal attacks: Hateful language and discrimination of any kind will not be tolerated by Kevin(Taken from Kevin's posting guidelines).

I'm sure this means swear words too, so let's try to keep swear words to a minimum!"

• Upvote 1