More Bus Moves

sw4400

20 hours ago, Chammon129577 said:

103rd and Kedzie did a swap 

This morning the number of artics went from 20 yesterday to 40 today which means either runs weren't on the street or operators that had artics to start out didn't have reliefs. It also seems like North Park has started putting there 4300's back on the 146/147 again more consistently now.I Only saw 17 40 footers are LSD routes which may be a sign of things to come. That's the lowest i've seen in quite some time.

4 minutes ago, busfan2847 said:

1161, 1166 and 1169 which went from F to K at the beginning of the month have gone to 1

4079, 4089 have also moved from 1 to K

this has already been discussed before 

1161 1166 1169 1183 are back at their home garage (103rd) and 1079 1122 and 1135 might stay at FG for a long time 

also 103rd and K did moves over the weekend 4077, 4079, 4086, 4091, 4093 and 4095 to Kedzie

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

this has already been discussed before 

1161 1166 1169 1183 are back at their home garage (103rd) and 1079 1122 and 1135 might stay at FG for a long time 

also 103rd and K did moves over the weekend 4077, 4079, 4086, 4091, 4093 and 4095 to Kedzie

And they sent 1199-1203 to 103rd joined up with 1204,1205,1209,1213,1216 

2 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

1161, 1166 and 1169 which went from F to K at the beginning of the month have gone to 1

4079, 4089 have also moved from 1 to K

Thanks busfan2847. I didn't realize the #1160's moved twice. I don't know why 103rd has 250 buses or why they would need 60 artics that may be why they are losing some. 77th needs 60 in my opinion not 40 because that's a high ridership garage and they have the space for them too. Kedzie did need some artics for it's mainlines. But then 74th could use some for Ashland or 63rd. I wonder would a shared garage route bid be feasable for the fall? I feel np needs at least 80 artics, if school starts how will they have the 60 foot extras for the #152? 

29 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Thanks busfan2847. I didn't realize the #1160's moved twice. I don't know why 103rd has 250 buses or why they would need 60 artics that may be why they are losing some. 77th needs 60 in my opinion not 40 because that's a high ridership garage and they have the space for them too. Kedzie did need some artics for it's mainlines. But then 74th could use some for Ashland or 63rd. I wonder would a shared garage route bid be feasable for the fall? I feel np needs at least 80 artics, if school starts how will they have the 60 foot extras for the #152? 

The problem is keeping the runs filled throughout the course of the day at least at 77th, we started out with 40 artics on the street this morning but at the current time we only have 30 still out there and with reliefs not getting made on the 3,4 and 79 more 40 footers will most likely take there place when operator have to pull a bus out unscheduled of course. There has to be a better way to manage these artics and I do agree that 74th could use some instead of what they're currently doing which is gap bus service runs. I believe at some point CTA will be forced to spread the artics out evenly once the fall pick rolls around and possibly have garages share routes that are not capable of storing them. 

It would be complicated but you could always trade buses at the terminals, therefore a relief would never have a artic. To do that you would have to pepper in the artics, making every other bus artic which could be feasable and realistic. It would also give you the power to spread the artics around more broadly and get them to more routes. Another thing, if CTA still had all these X routes, they could make the artic do the X and the 40's do the locals. You could try that for an experiment on the #X49 or #X9. I don't know how they can sell the notion that those buses are only carrying 15 people per bus. The #77 for instance is in the top 6 for ridership but doesn't run any artics. They need Chicago to supplement that. Places like 74th and FG are suffering because they can't house artics. This is going to be a joke when school starts, but signs are pointing to me that school will not start this year at least not for in house learning.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

CTA is not really trying to do the shared garage thing.   The 49 and 151 have unique situations.

The 49 is one of a very few routes with a garage near each end of the route.  Even though it has been a 2 garage route historically,  CTA did have it assigned to one garage (Archer( due to Archer's central location relative to the route.  Archer's closing necessitates the current 2 garage operation

Back in the day,  151 was exclusively NP, while a route called the 153 Wilson/Michigan operated out of Limits. These 2 share routing between Sheridan lake Shore and Michigan Avenue and Adam's with the 153 terminating at Congress.  When the 153 was eliminated,  those trips operated as 151s from Belmont to Congress.   Those trips continued to be operated by Limits until it closed and K assumed that work. That is why 151 is a 2 garage operation.

The 8, 9  and 36 used to be shared with Limits until its closing.  In theory those routes could be shared with NP, but operations are easier to manage if you are dealing with one garage instead of 2.

42 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

It would be complicated but you could always trade buses at the terminals, therefore a relief would never have a artic. To do that you would have to pepper in the artics, making every other bus artic which could be feasable and realistic. It would also give you the power to spread the artics around more broadly and get them to more routes. Another thing, if CTA still had all these X routes, they could make the artic do the X and the 40's do the locals. You could try that for an experiment on the #X49 or #X9. I don't know how they can sell the notion that those buses are only carrying 15 people per bus. The #77 for instance is in the top 6 for ridership but doesn't run any artics. They need Chicago to supplement that. Places like 74th and FG are suffering because they can't house artics. This is going to be a joke when school starts, but signs are pointing to me that school will not start this year at least not for in house learning.

It's not that 74th and FG couldn't house artics, they can't house 60 ft artics.  They were able to handle the. 55ft variety.  What a difference 5 feet can make.  My question is why didn't they modify those lifts like they did at the other garages?  Was Archer also not modified since it lost all of its artics once the Orange Line opened?

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

#4088 has gone to Kedzie and #4099 has shown up at 77th this morning. I wonder if 103rd is going to lose all the #4000's and low #4100's?

Also #6865 has shown up at FG. Will all the #6400's come back? Maybe not!!

4099 was at 77th for a month and a half now. 

22 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

The 21 has always been pretty crowded.  The 21 does need artics even in non-COVID times

11 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Always been pretty packed every time I do the 21 it be like that

Sounds like more misuse of artics. The 12 doesn’t need all of them on the weekends and the 82 often needs more on weekdays. And apparently the 21 as well.

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The heaviest portion of the 12 is between the Red/-Green/Orange  station and Western .

Even with that, it's only a smaller portion of the route compared to the actual length of it.  The 12 doesn't need artics, the 21 is packed through the majority of the route.  Even with 322 helping out in Cicero and Berwyn the bus still gets packed.  I saw a 21 today and it was an artic coming in WB at 54th/Cermak.  The bus had most of the seats taken.  Even in NON COVID-19 times the 21 needs artics.  Same thing with Ashland and probably Western. 

1 minute ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Even with that, it's only a smaller portion of the route compared to the actual length of it.  The 12 doesn't need artics, the 21 is packed through the majority of the route.  Even with 322 helping out in Cicero and Berwyn the bus still gets packed.  I saw a 21 today and it was an artic coming in WB at 54th/Cermak.  The bus had most of the seats taken.  Even in NON COVID-19 times the 21 needs artics.  Same thing with Ashland and probably Western. 

Western has always baffled me, since I figured they could at least run off-peak artics on the 49 since the route is shared and somewhat evenly

7 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

I think we need to separate artic assignment rules during COVID from artic assignment rules without. thing is without COVID the yerkes theory would determine who needs artics which means the route has to be running every 5 min or so at which point they decide, ok let's add artics and keep the same vehicle count vs upping frequency and adding more vehicles. Right now Cermak just makes sense for artics because of COVID,BUT  it runs no where near frequent enough to be "artic worthy" and they would up frequency first THEN artics after if the new headways are still jammed