More Bus Moves

sw4400

45 artics out this morning out of 77th, Not to continue to beat a dead horse but I honestly feel that routes like cottage grove and 79th street need artics but 87th doesn't need as much. We have 4 routes that could use them but only two that consistently stay busy which is the 4 and 79. How many artics could both routes use because honestly we could send whatever else is left over back to garages that need them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Even with that, it's only a smaller portion of the route compared to the actual length of it.  The 12 doesn't need artics, the 21 is packed through the majority of the route.  Even with 322 helping out in Cicero and Berwyn the bus still gets packed.  I saw a 21 today and it was an artic coming in WB at 54th/Cermak.  The bus had most of the seats taken.  Even in NON COVID-19 times the 21 needs artics.  Same thing with Ashland and probably Western. 

I'm surprised 21 needs artics with its proximity to the Pink Line .  I imagine most of the crowd is West of Ashland. 

Even though the 12 has a shorter portion of the route that gets crowded,  those WB buses go from empty ti full bt the tune ur leaves State Street.  This route connects the siuth side rail lines with the Canal St shopping area,  University of Illinois campus, University of Illinois hospitals, and the Juvenile Center.  The crowding was to the point the 18 was rerouted to Roosevelt between Michigan and Halsted.    Perhaps short turning 12s at Western could help.

I know Cermak is a heavy commercial district between Damen and Kedzie and from Cicero to North Riverside.   Maybe Pace should extend the 322 east to Kenton [ the Terminal for 54B and 302) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

45 artics out this morning out of 77th, Not to continue to beat a dead horse but I honestly feel that routes like cottage grove and 79th street need artics but 87th doesn't need as much. We have 4 routes that could use them but only two that consistently stay busy which is the 4 and 79. How many artics could both routes use because honestly we could send whatever else is left over back to garages that need them.

in my opinion only 4 and 79 need em the most 3 and 87th could just stick with 40fts but add xtra buses on those lines 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

No.  302 and 21 cover that area already and EB 322 buses can't serve 54th terminal if they do that.  It doesn't make sense for Pace to overlap the routes.

The 302 only runs between Kenton and Laramie.   We are talking the 322 extension in terms of some crowd religion the 21, if only for 3/4 mile.  A lot of people board and alight at Cicero.

7 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I'm surprised 21 needs artics with its proximity to the Pink Line .  I imagine most of the crowd is West of Ashland. 

Even though the 12 has a shorter portion of the route that gets crowded,  those WB buses go from empty ti full bt the tune ur leaves State Street.  This route connects the siuth side rail lines with the Canal St shopping area,  University of Illinois campus, University of Illinois hospitals, and the Juvenile Center.  The crowding was to the point the 18 was rerouted to Roosevelt between Michigan and Halsted.    Perhaps short turning 12s at Western could help.

I know Cermak is a heavy commercial district between Damen and Kedzie and from Cicero to North Riverside.   Maybe Pace should extend the 322 east to Kenton [ the Terminal for 54B and 302) 

Lot of situations where people prefer taking the bus over the train. Issue with the 21 and Pink Line is that they can run at or near the same frequency, so the only advantage of the Pink Line is UIC, West Loop and Downtown w/o transfer. And if you’re someone who’s going south to west or vice versa, it’s probably quicker and easier to take the 21 to the Red or Green Lines or to whatever route, rather than take the Pink Line. In regards to downtown, I’m willing to bet that if you sent the 21 to Congress Plaza, or even Roosevelt, ridership would jump, if slightly (I know this is very duplicative).

5 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Yes. Have you not noticed that before COVID, routes that used artics were running in 2-3 min headways with still full buses, which cermak does not? 

Then either keep the artics on the 21 or increase frequency.  The 21 buses I've been on are so packed that the passengers even block the front doors.

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The 302 only runs between Kenton and Laramie.   We are talking the 322 extension in terms of some crowd religion the 21, if only for 3/4 mile.  A lot of people board and alight at Cicero.

It's such a short distance and does not help the 21.  302 drops off passengers at Cicero, not Kenton.  Kenton is only the layover/turnaround point for 302.  Cicero and Berwyn are not the only places the 21 experiences crowding.  It's the majority of the route.

22 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Then either keep the artics on the 21 or increase frequency.  The 21 buses I've been on are so packed that the passengers even block the front doors.

Don`t know if the passenger count necessitates a 12  to 15 minute street but I could see the passengers packed if  runs are missing or one falls behind schedule by even 3 minutes.

I would go with increasing the frequency.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Well like I said under non COVID situations it's gonna take for Cermak to run at 2-3 minute intervals and still be slammed before artics run Cermak after this. Jeffery, Clark, Chicago, 79th, Kimball, etc all ran at 2-3 min headways before they saw artics and even now still run frequently

7 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Well like I said under non COVID situations it's gonna take for Cermak to run at 2-3 minute intervals and still be slammed before artics run Cermak after this. Jeffery, Clark, Chicago, 79th, Kimball, etc all ran at 2-3 min headways before they saw artics and even now still run frequently

Kimball uses artics for am and pm school trips. Some of them head downtown after one trip. A few years back artics were used on weekends until The Lincolmwood Mall management complained as I was told by a few drivers.

13 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah I've driven 87th myself in my bus, and it doesn't seem to have tons of ridership just around the red line and the shopping center. 3,4 and 79th would my concern. The #8 possibly but it would probably be hard to drive artics on it especially up north. Really with the amount of artics 77th has they should be helping out 74th, but that can't change without a bid change.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah I've driven 87th myself in my bus, and it doesn't seem to have tons of ridership just around the red line and the shopping center. 3,4 and 79th would my concern. The #8 possibly but it would probably be hard to drive artics on it especially up north. Really with the amount of artics 77th has they should be helping out 74th, but that can't change without a bid change.

I wonder if there's a difference during weekday vs the weekends when I drive, I get maybe one full load for one trip then the rest are quiet and barren. The 8 use to have them on weekends when we first got artics but that has rarely happened now. King drive has two weekday pm runs that use artics but other than that they're not used much on other routes. I was surprised that we didn't get assigned any of 74th's runs this pick to use artics on. If anything they could of traded the 8 and 51 over for the 9 and 49 just as a trial run.  

27 minutes ago, John7 said:

2 artics heading down s.Pulaski on its way to 77th most likely. One if them was 4133 i spotted @ 49th st. 2nd i wasn't able to get the number. 

Could be a  C to 77th transfer.  Unless it was coming off from the 53, it would seem that the hikers were taking the scenic route . The Ike (from the garage) or the Stevenson (from 31st) would have been faster if those were indeed headed to 77th