More Bus Moves

sw4400

4 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Better be rebuilt with adamantium frames to be on the road after 18 sum years ??

?? ikr but it would be good to see some still in service I remember when 6031 was sitting behind the booth at K after it was retired then it just pop up in the bone yard on legal hold but it aint have that at K I guess it got into some type of accident on its way to 7 to rot

32 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

CARTA was the last known agency to have Flxibles and they were rehabbed 1994 suburban models. The last year they were in service was 2018 I believe other than that they haven't seen much activity other than being used by private owners and travel companies. 

Cool wish cta was still using theirs some of them was only 3 years out of rehab when they was knocked off 

20 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Cool wish cta was still using theirs some of them was only 3 years out of rehab when they was knocked off 

That was jsut to keep some life until they were replaced with the 900 artics that never got ordered. They ended up getting retired in the 2010 cuts instead but basically the same reasons some 2600s are supposed to get some extension rehab

On 12/2/2020 at 2:01 PM, artthouwill said:

I'm trying to remember what was different about 5900 and 5901.  I don't think they served at North Park.  I think they were at K.  They didn't last very long. 

5900-5902 were the Ballard hydrogen powered buses (New Flyer H40LF) and spent all their time at Chicago. They were new in 1997 and all three were withdrawn at the end of the trial period in March 2000. I caught them several times between 4/98 and 2/00  always on the 20.

The regular D40LFs 5800-5864 were at P

19 hours ago, Sam92 said:

That was jsut to keep some life until they were replaced with the 900 artics that never got ordered. They ended up getting retired in the 2010 cuts instead but basically the same reasons some 2600s are supposed to get some extension rehab

Yea ibknow they knocked them off on the Feb 7 dooms day with closing A now its a strip mall 

17 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

5900-5902 were the Ballard hydrogen powered buses (New Flyer H40LF) and spent all their time at Chicago. They were new in 1997 and all three were withdrawn at the end of the trial period in March 2000. I caught them several times between 4/98 and 2/00  always on the 20.

The regular D40LFs 5800-5864 were at P

Aw yes I thought they went to P after cuz they wasnt in service at C long but now 5900-01 sit side by side in the boneyard stripped 

5 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Yea ibknow they knocked them off on the Feb 7 dooms day with closing A now its a strip mall 

Wait they built a strip mall on the old Archer garage site? That is wild, how many buses could archer store because the site looked pretty small. 

Edit: I found the answer. 290 seems like a lot but then again it wasn't.

11 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Wait they built a strip mall on the old Archer garage site? That is wild, how many buses could archer store because the site looked pretty small. 

Edit: I found the answer. 290 seems like a lot but then again it wasn't.

Yea they put a strip mall there & man it dont sould like alot but I bet if it still stood & they put 290 buses in thete it would be a hell of alot 

51 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Yea they put a strip mall there & man it dont sould like alot but I bet if it still stood & they put 290 buses in thete it would be a hell of alot 

Once upon a time Archer had the M.A.N. artics.   They used to run the 62 Archer Express, 99 Stevenson Express, 162 Pulaski/Stevenson Express, and the  164 Narragansett Express.  Archer lost its artics and those routes when the Orange Line opened.  I believe those arics were split between P and 103rd.

18 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Once upon a time Archer had the M.A.N. artics.   They used to run the 62 Archer Express, 99 Stevenson Express, 162 Pulaski/Stevenson Express, and the  164 Narragansett Express.  Archer lost its artics and those routes when the Orange Line opened.  I believe those arics were split between P and 103rd.

I remember the ones with the weird heightened headsign. I think I used to ride them on the 6 or 14 (whichever one was running down jeffery at the turn of the century. For the life of me though, I could've sworn it was the old 4000 series that was articulated as well.

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I remember the ones with the weird heightened headsign. I think I used to ride them on the 6 or 14 (whichever one was running down jeffery at the turn of the century. For the life of me though, I could've sworn it was the old 4000 series that was articulated as well.

Nah. 4000 were 40ft and boxy like a new flyer BUT you’re probably thinking about the fact thag there were 2 different set of MAN the 7100 series with the roll signs and the 7300s bought from seattle for emergency replacement which had digital signs and comfy seats 

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The  6 and 14 ran on Jeffery.  The 14 was introduced as rush hour only in 1981.  They both originally ran out of 52nd and COTTAGE GROVE.   When that garage closed. Both routes went to 77th, which received an influx of the 7100 series M.A.N artics.  In 1985, 77th also received some 4000 series M.A.N Americanas.

In 1988, 103rd garage replaced Beverly garage.  The 6, 14, and 28 were extended to the new garage as well as transferred there.  All of 77th's N A.N. buses were sent to 103rd and Beverly Flyers were sent to 77th.

In 2003, the 6 was rerouted and renamed 6 Jackson Park Express.  The 14 S Lake Shore Express was renamed the 14 Jeffery Express and became a daily, bidirectional route.  The 6 Jackson Park Express was also reassigned to 77th at that time.

When the 7300s came, P, 77TH,  and 103rd received them.  I don't know if K received any.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Cool dam in learning a lil more history

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The  6 and 14 ran on Jeffery.  The 14 was introduced as rush hour only in 1981.  They both originally ran out of 52nd and COTTAGE GROVE.   When that garage closed. Both routes went to 77th, which received an influx of the 7100 series M.A.N artics.  In 1985, 77th also received some 4000 series M.A.N Americanas.

In 1988, 103rd garage replaced Beverly garage.  The 6, 14, and 28 were extended to the new garage as well as transferred there.  All of 77th's N A.N. buses were sent to 103rd and Beverly Flyers were sent to 77th.

In 2003, the 6 was rerouted and renamed 6 Jackson Park Express.  The 14 S Lake Shore Express was renamed the 14 Jeffery Express and became a daily, bidirectional route.  The 6 Jackson Park Express was also reassigned to 77th at that time.

When the 7300s came, P, 77TH,  and 103rd received them.  I don't know if K received any.  

Yeah K started gettting artics around that time because that’s when 156 ridership started picking up so they got a set for that then more as they started taking in more heavy downtown work along with introducing artics to 151

9 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Actually, sometime after the Orange Line began service, the artics were moved from Archer to Chicago for the 23 Washington Express, which was operating as a west side alternative for the Lake Street leg of the Green Line. After the Green Line reopened, 23 Washington Express was discontinued, & the artics were then moved from Chicago to North Park, & then later, from North Park to 103rd.

• Upvote 1