More Bus Moves

sw4400

8 hours ago, ChicagoNova said:

Actually, sometime after the Orange Line began service, the artics were moved from Archer to Chicago for the 23 Washington Express, which was operating as a west side alternative for the Lake Street leg of the Green Line. After the Green Line reopened, 23 Washington Express was discontinued, & the artics were then moved from Chicago to North Park, & then later, from North Park to 103rd.

Some also had to move from A to 77th for the 38 Michigan Express, which operated along Michigan and Indiana Aves to serve either 53rd and Ashland or 53rd and University for Green Line cinstruction.

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Some also had to move from A to 77th for the 38 Michigan Express, which operated along Michigan and Indiana Aves to serve either 53rd and Ashland or 53rd and University for Green Line cinstruction.

Not really. 69th was taking care of 38 Michigan Express, not 77th, & initially I only saw 4000 Series M-A-N Americanas. Later on I began seeing 4400 Series RTSs, then 6000 Series Flxies, all in the mix. In 1996, 69th Garage was replaced by 74th.

On 12/8/2020 at 9:40 AM, Shannoncvpi said:

Yea I was like damm they closed it knocked it down & build on it

On 12/8/2020 at 1:15 PM, YoungBusLover said:

Wait they built a strip mall on the old Archer garage site? That is wild, how many buses could archer store because the site looked pretty small. 

Edit: I found the answer. 290 seems like a lot but then again it wasn't.

What’s wild is how fast it showed up once they got the ok to sell the land. Like bro I stopped delivering over there for a few months and all that was there lmao

23 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

What’s wild is how fast it showed up once they got the ok to sell the land. Like bro I stopped delivering over there for a few months and all that was there lmao

I sometimes how many routes and space could 77th/South Shop actually have if whenever it go rebuilt and took over that little strip mall to the east of it. 

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

That's quite interesting, why did they sell it?

I'm not sure, but o think CTA was strapped for cash and was selling land they weren't using or barely using to make up for a budget shortfall. Since I caremember exactly when this was, I don't know if this came with fare increasesand/or service cuts.

I thought CTA was interested in buying back that property in recent years, but that doesn't appear likely.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I'm not sure, but o think CTA was strapped for cash and was selling land they weren't using or barely using to make up for a budget shortfall. Since I caremember exactly when this was, I don't know if this came with fare increasesand/or service cuts.

I thought CTA was interested in buying back that property in recent years, but that doesn't appear likely.

Naw they sold it & never looked back they got that money & ran 

4 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Guess they wanna give the novas a lol break off of 1 of the few longest routes in the system 

I guess so I’m hoping this is a permanent thing cause I’ll pick Ashland straight across if they make that a even balance of novas and Flyers on Ashland lol.

3 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

I guess so I’m hoping this is a permanent thing cause I’ll pick Ashland straight across if they make that a even balance of novas and Flyers on Ashland lol.

Yeah Ashland is good. I've driven the south side of it with my bus. Worse part of ashland is the north side. Then you got all these #X9's for support. I like the 4 lane streets more room to drive. One route that has got to be a pita is the #94. Bet no one wants that. 

11 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah Ashland is good. I've driven the south side of it with my bus. Worse part of ashland is the north side. Then you got all these #X9's for support. I like the 4 lane streets more room to drive. One route that has got to be a pita is the #94. Bet no one wants that. 

I actually took the 94 a couple of times a week from Western Orange Line to 6 (and during the cordon, as it was the best way to reach the west side). Maybe it was the pandemic, but it was fairly quick, the streets aren't the tiniest, it didn't seem prone to rowdy passengers, and remained mostly on time (unlike the 48, I can't count the amount of times that bus just never showed up), even after the extension. What's the pain of driving it? It doesn't seem as stressful compared to its next door neighbors, the 9 & 49

2 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I actually took the 94 a couple of times a week from Western Orange Line to 6 (and during the cordon, as it was the best way to reach the west side). Maybe it was the pandemic, but it was fairly quick, the streets aren't the tiniest, it didn't seem prone to rowdy passengers, and remained mostly on time (unlike the 48, I can't count the amount of times that bus just never showed up), even after the extension. What's the pain of driving it? It doesn't seem as stressful compared to its next door neighbors, the 9 & 49

I'll give you a hint, "The amount of turns on the 94". ?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I wouldn't doubt they pull operators off the #48 to do something else. That has to be one of the easiest routes at 74th, but there is the #55A, I forgot. 74th dont have it too bad where its rough theres support like X routes. It's mostly the #94. But during the pandemic it's not that bad, I'd say the worst in the system is 79th, just because you have artics, more ridership than regular routes and someone is always doing something screwy there. Even 79 has it's off times at night it's super easy.

45 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I wouldn't doubt they pull operators off the #48 to do something else. That has to be one of the easiest routes at 74th, but there is the #55A, I forgot. 74th dont have it too bad where its rough theres support like X routes. It's mostly the #94. But during the pandemic it's not that bad, I'd say the worst in the system is 79th, just because you have artics, more ridership than regular routes and someone is always doing something screwy there. Even 79 has it's off times at night it's super easy.

I would have 63rd and Cottage Grove as honorable mentions never do I go a day without going through something with passengers while operating the 4. 63rd is a special kind madness as seen below.

20201201_201628.jpg

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I would hate to do the 94 now since they chsnged it its long af I bet

12 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Pulling 48 drivers doesn't surprise me, but its certainly annoying. There was always 1-3 people waiting for that last bus when I was also waiting for it, and I had the luxury of taking the 94 or the 48 since I was going directly to the 75 for a transfer, but I know some of those folks had to just end up taking the 49 and walking.

79th is absolutely worst in the system. Every day I took that route, I had a story. Every. Single. Day. I could live on 81st and I would still walk to 75th or 87th rather than take the 79 (hyperbole, but not all the way). I think the looting/riots was the worst: to this day, I still don't recall CTA posting an alert that WB 79 buses were alighting all passengers at Pulaski and some of them were just so nasty about telling us to get off the bus. Walking from Pulaski to Cicero in Chicago summers is not my idea of a good time.

6 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Pulling 48 drivers doesn't surprise me, but its certainly annoying. There was always 1-3 people waiting for that last bus when I was also waiting for it, and I had the luxury of taking the 94 or the 48 since I was going directly to the 75 for a transfer, but I know some of those folks had to just end up taking the 49 and walking.

79th is absolutely worst in the system. Every day I took that route, I had a story. Every. Single. Day. I could live on 81st and I would still walk to 75th or 87th rather than take the 79 (hyperbole, but not all the way). I think the looting/riots was the worst: to this day, I still don't recall CTA posting an alert that WB 79 buses were alighting all passengers at Pulaski and some of them were just so nasty about telling us to get off the bus. Walking from Pulaski to Cicero in Chicago summers is not my idea of a good time.

They dont provide alot of service west of western on 79th anyway. Then you have the killer train at central park. I swear I was coming east at 5pm  three straight days and the same 100 car freight had all the traffic locked up. One day were were down to kostner. All the traffic tries to pass you to take the side street. Surprised I didn't get sideswiped. I check for 79th WB and there were about 3 to 4 buses. So when your sitting at ford city wondering wheres the bus, think train. 

Kind of crazy about Ford City and the 79th dropping at pulaski, cause we have daily shuttles coming from ford city to go to employment places out west. Did they do that to #67? Or #54B? 

I always have wondering why the #87 doesnt go to ford city. It is a good 79th alternative and the service reliability is better. If the #67 can go there why not #87?

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

They dont provide alot of service west of western on 79th anyway. Then you have the killer train at central park. I swear I was coming east at 5pm  three straight days and the same 100 car freight had all the traffic locked up. One day were were down to kostner. All the traffic tries to pass you to take the side street. Surprised I didn't get sideswiped. I check for 79th WB and there were about 3 to 4 buses. So when your sitting at ford city wondering wheres the bus, think train. 

Kind of crazy about Ford City and the 79th dropping at pulaski, cause we have daily shuttles coming from ford city to go to employment places out west. Did they do that to #67? Or #54B? 

I always have wondering why the #87 doesnt go to ford city. It is a good 79th alternative and the service reliability is better. If the #67 can go there why not #87?

I think because more ford city traffic approaches from the north and from the south if you’re a bit west like kedzie or so you can just take the 52a/53a to 79th and over. I dunno 87th seems to be really heavy East of damen but I’m happy to be wrong. I think the service reliability is more from the fact more 2 lane space west of the Dan Ryan 

• Upvote 1

On 12/17/2020 at 10:17 AM, BusHunter said:

Yeah, so imagine letitng Western buses pass you to finally get your Ford City bus and then have to get off at Pulaski. So as I understood it, apparently they did with the 54B but no word on the 67. Drivers would alight all the passengers, then continue on the route as normal. So you could ride from Ford City & west of Pulaski back east, but not headed west.

As for the 87, probably just distance. The Ford City terminal is at 76th, right? So by that point, the 67 is only 5 blocks away and the 79 is only 3 blocks away. The 87 is 11 blocks away. Personally, there might be more merit in sending the 54B further south, but that's a different discussion.