More Bus Moves

sw4400

21 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

I think 79 and 66 being more isolated routes tend to be part of the issue. Clark and Sheridan at least have some route near by that is a either a bigger draw for longer distance riders or in Clark’s case the 36 acting as a short turn south of diversey. Roosevelt has the 18 up till Halsted so it’s ridership is more focused on UIC and west of that. I think that gave Clark, Sheridan and Roosevelt the room to reduce runs which is the point of artics otherwise you risk not having enough space for spares. Look at schedules of artic routes before they had them compared to after, Clark went from 2-3 min during evening rush to 5 min to foster, 10 min to Howard, Roosevelt went to about the same, Sheridan is running 10-20 min PM rush with its artics compared to 2-3 min AM with its 40fts. 79 and 4 having 30 buses each means those 2 alone eat up 90 buses worth of space or nearly 1/3 of capacity. Not good when you still need another 50-70 for 3, 8 and 87 plus spares so cutting runs are necessary when using artics. 

With this logic, the 3, 29, and Green Line (and 1 during rush hour) almost act as supplements for the 4. I feel like the 3 and 4 pair on the south side is similar to the 22 and 36 pair on the north side. Someone pointed out earlier that artics usually work better on routes with mostly unidirectional ridership patterns, and I think this mostly applies to the 3 and 4, so those might be the best artic routes at 77th. Crosstown routes like the 8, 79, and 87 would benefit from 3-door artics, although it is unlikely that CTA will buy any soon. I read somewhere (I think chicagorailfan.com) that 77th has space for more than 400 buses. If this is the case, I wonder if CTA in the long run could store more artics at 77th.

Since people mentioned the 2, I always wondered why it ran from 77th instead of 103rd. I'm guessing that space might be an issue at 103rd, but considering the 6 was moved there, I wonder why they couldn't also do that with the 2. 103rd seems to make more sense for reliefs, as the 2 intersects with the 28, but not with any route that goes to 77th (unless you count the 29 or Red Line in Downtown). Before the pandemic, I often rode the 2 and it would be packed in both directions, so I wondered why it didn't have artics.

1 hour ago, Anthony Devera said:

With this logic, the 3, 29, and Green Line (and 1 during rush hour) almost act as supplements for the 4. I feel like the 3 and 4 pair on the south side is similar to the 22 and 36 pair on the north side. Someone pointed out earlier that artics usually work better on routes with mostly unidirectional ridership patterns, and I think this mostly applies to the 3 and 4, so those might be the best artic routes at 77th. Crosstown routes like the 8, 79, and 87 would benefit from 3-door artics, although it is unlikely that CTA will buy any soon. I read somewhere (I think chicagorailfan.com) that 77th has space for more than 400 buses. If this is the case, I wonder if CTA in the long run could store more artics at 77th.

Since people mentioned the 2, I always wondered why it ran from 77th instead of 103rd. I'm guessing that space might be an issue at 103rd, but considering the 6 was moved there, I wonder why they couldn't also do that with the 2. 103rd seems to make more sense for reliefs, as the 2 intersects with the 28, but not with any route that goes to 77th (unless you count the 29 or Red Line in Downtown). Before the pandemic, I often rode the 2 and it would be packed in both directions, so I wondered why it didn't have artics.

The 2 is a rush only route, so unless those runs interline with something else,, there's no need for driver reliefs..  i this time 2 could be switched to 103rs. If something were switched to 77th like the 71.  103rd already runs the 170, 171, 172, and 192.

On 6/16/2021 at 11:16 PM, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah I'm just as puzzled as you are, we'll have to wait this mini storm out to see if the current changes will stay in place, I honestly do think though that 18th - 21st we'll see some more logical swapping going on as the new pick goes into effect this upcoming Sunday. 

It's beginning to take shape I honestly think Kedzie and NP will get there artics back.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The 2 is a rush only route, so unless those runs interline with something else,, there's no need for driver reliefs..  i this time 2 could be switched to 103rs. If something were switched to 77th like the 71.  103rd already runs the 170, 171, 172, and 192.

I'm curious as to why 103rd runs the UofC routes. I know why they run the 192, but what about the 171 & 172? Are those interlined with the 28? 77th is a mix of heavy and small routes, so it seems like they'd fit in better there. Certainly easier in terms of deadhead imo (if they use the Dan Ryan)

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I'm curious as to why 103rd runs the UofC routes. I know why they run the 192, but what about the 171 & 172? Are those interlined with the 28? 77th is a mix of heavy and small routes, so it seems like they'd fit in better there. Certainly easier in terms of deadhead imo (if they use the Dan Ryan)

From what I remember the 171 and 172 aren't interlined with the 15 or 28 they're pretty much separated from everything kind of like the 31 or 43. You could easily have one or two trips on the 4 go to 44th and Drexel and start up on the 43 and have a few trips on the 3 go to 35th but it's just inefficient for the vast majority of customers trying to head downtown or to the Southside. I'd honestly think 74th could interline the 55 or 59 with the 171-172.  Whenever the trips on the 171-172 would end they would deadhead back to the garage rather than doing a trip on the 28 which would be the quickest in all honesty.

10 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

From what I remember the 171 and 172 aren't interlined with the 15 or 28 they're pretty much separated from everything kind of like the 31 or 43. You could easily have one or two trips on the 4 go to 44th and Drexel and start up on the 43 and have a few trips on the 3 go to 35th but it's just inefficient for the vast majority of customers trying to head downtown or to the Southside. I'd honestly think 74th could interline the 55 or 59 with the 171-172.  Whenever the trips on the 171-172 would end they would deadhead back to the garage rather doing a trip on the 28 which would be the quickest in all honesty.

Interlined with the 59 would just be funny, it's already a jack of all trades route. Certainly hadn't thought about a 74th interline (could also work with the 47 or 67), but seeing as both routes only use a max of 4 buses total, I agree that they could just run a full 28 back to the garage.

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Interlined with the 59 would just be funny, it's already a jack of all trades route. Certainly hadn't thought about a 74th interline (could also work with the 47 or 67), but seeing as both routes only use a max of 4 buses total, I agree that they could just run a full 28 back to the garage.

Yeah it's tough to manage that so the 28 would be a viable option to interline pull-ins and pull outs. I do think that for 74th having trips to the garage via 55th or 59th to Ashland would help greatly in the rush periods.

4 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

When the UofC routes first came into existence,  103rd ran the routes with Optimas.   Then CTA moved the routes and the Optimas to Archer until Archer closed.   Then those routes moved back to 103rd.  

I think each route says 192 runs only one bus.  It would be easy to run them as a 28 to and from the routes unless theres a time issue in terms of hours of service or pay hours.

Oh, yes. Kedzie did receive or is receiving the 1200s and 1700s in small grouplets now. The 1230-1246 (except possibly 1236, which may still be at FG) grouplet and the 1703-1709 grouplet are now at K (and these grouplets include buses that have already been at K for a few months prior to the latest moves). This is because the UofC is reducing its operations for the summer (with the 171 and the 172 being reduced to weekday-rush-only operation until Fall); therefore, 103rd needs fewer 40-foot buses than what it had prior to this weekend.

And NP received the upper 4100s and the 4200s from both K and 77th. Expect a few more artics from both garages to be moved to NP over the coming days. Again, this is because K (and to a lesser extent 77th) needed to send some of their artics somewhere else in preparation for the post-COVID-restriction expansion of the 40-foot portion of their fleets.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, RJL6000 said:

Oh, yes. Kedzie did receive or is receiving the 1200s and 1700s in small grouplets now. The 1230-1246 (except possibly 1236, which may still be at FG) grouplet and the 1703-1709 grouplet are now at K (and these grouplets include buses that have already been at K for a few months prior to the latest moves). This is because the UofC is reducing its operations for the summer (with the 171 and the 172 being reduced to weekday-rush-only operation until Fall); therefore, 103rd needs fewer 40-foot buses than what it had prior to this weekend.

And NP received the upper 4100s and the 4200s from both K and 77th. Expect a few more artics from both garages to be moved to NP over the coming days. Again, this is because K (and to a lesser extent 77th) needed to send some of their artics somewhere else in preparation for the post-COVID-restriction expansion of the 40-foot portion of their fleets.

usually big moves happen saturday night sunday morning especially with a new pick starting tomorrow