More Bus Moves

sw4400

1 hour ago, Mr.cta85 said:

I got a feeling that it’s about to be some serious bus swapping for this summer pick since the city is open again and the capacity limit is lifted. According to the tracker 1946, 1971, and 2028 are all currently doing 103rd routes ??.

It maybe I hope it is imma try to give 7 their 7900's back ????

1 hour ago, Mr.cta85 said:

I got a feeling that it’s about to be some serious bus swapping for this summer pick since the city is open again and the capacity limit is lifted. According to the tracker 1946, 1971, and 2028 are all currently doing 103rd routes ??.

You know what that could be a possibility, time will tell for sure. I don't think we'll see massive swaps of artics going back to there respective garages but I do think we'll see swaps among 40 footers. 

17 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Metra shuttles? What happened here?

Also, can you explain the part in bold a bit more? I'm mostly unfamiliar with how this would work and what the ramifications were?

Metra shuttles are the 120-125. Since 77th was likely not as busy for the AM rush that is why they took on those routes to ease the strain on the garage before them. As far as everything at 95th being one group, the period after the 2010 cuts led to LOTS of route sharing and huge amounts of interlining. Anything coming into 95th red rarely came out on the same route even on a Sunday. 134 and 143 each borrowed a run from the 26 in the AM, and there was the infamous 145/148 combo. The decrowding plan basically solved a lot of operationally inefficiencies, yes the buses and trains were still crowded but streamlined services made the impact less hurtful 

• Thanks 1

This massive bus swap isn't making much sense right now,  but there has to be a logical reason for this.    BUses that have been at K and C since they have been in the fleet are moving to 7 and 103rd?   I wonder if the upcoming arrival of new Novas has anything to do with this?   Schools won't reppen until September and I don't think tbe swaps are related to that.   

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

This massive bus swap isn't making much sense right now,  but there has to be a logical reason for this.    BUses that have been at K and C since they have been in the fleet are moving to 7 and 103rd?   I wonder if the upcoming arrival of new Novas has anything to do with this?   Schools won't reppen until September and I don't think tbe swaps are related to that.   

Yeah I'm just as lost as you are, my first thought was maybe 103rd is short but that doesnt seem to be the case, I know were short for sure at least for the pm rush periods but my only other guess is mileage swapping going on although C and K didn't receive anything back in return. I think the bigger piece to the puzzle is the #4000s and dormant #6400s, will they get moved or stay put? So far this month C has lost quite a few buses to Covid19 prep and 103rd. How many more will they lose?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah I'm just as lost as you are, my first thought was maybe 103rd is short but that doesnt seem to be the case, I know were short for sure at least for the pm rush periods but my only other guess is mileage swapping going on although C and K didn't receive anything back in return. I think the bigger piece to the puzzle is the #4000s and dormant #6400s, will they get moved or stay put? So far this month C has lost quite a few buses to Covid19 prep and 103rd. How many more will they lose?

That makes it more puzzling.  I remember riding artics on the 4 and the 20 consistently.   With higher loads on the south end west sides. It seems weird for C and K to give up buses and not get any in retuen..

14 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Do you think 77th and C are going to give back artics.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

That makes it more puzzling.  I remember riding artics on the 4 and the 20 consistently.   With higher loads on the south end west sides. It seems weird for C and K to give up buses and not get any in retuen..

Yeah I'm just as puzzled as you are, we'll have to wait this mini storm out to see if the current changes will stay in place, I honestly do think though that 18th - 21st we'll see some more logical swapping going on as the new pick goes into effect this upcoming Sunday. 

Ridership is climbing for cta. When I was out the pink line was packed plus bus ridership has gone up. I think they can release some artics back to places that really need them like np or 103rd. Kedzies LaSalle corridor is still a little light so maybe keep those away from there for now. I know they expanded the limits on people per bus to 2/3. Maybe they might have to wait if they are not on full boarding. 

103rd and 77th have the oldest nfs but 77th seems to run alot of artics so I cant see where the 40 footers havent got a break. 103rd does alot of short runs like fg so if artics run the big routes then they should have some rested 40 footers. Frankly I'm more worried about the artics condition they have been running hard at 77th. 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Ridership is climbing for cta. When I was out the pink line was packed plus bus ridership has gone up. I think they can release some artics back to places that really need them like np or 103rd. Kedzies LaSalle corridor is still a little light so maybe keep those away from there for now. I know they expanded the limits on people per bus to 2/3. Maybe they might have to wait if they are not on full boarding. 

103rd and 77th have the oldest nfs but 77th seems to run alot of artics so I cant see where the 40 footers havent got a break. 103rd does alot of short runs like fg so if artics run the big routes then they should have some rested 40 footers. Frankly I'm more worried about the artics condition they have been running hard at 77th. 

We're back at full capacity ,they lifted the limits on the 11th after the city full reopened and since then I've seen major upticks in ridership especially on the routes I normally do. Yesterday I had the Hyde park express and both trips were nearly standing room only in both directions. Halsted is even more hectic even with the 5 - 8 min intervals during the morning rush and even during the weekends its more crowded than usual. During my days off I would travel up north to see if there have been any upticks in ridership and there has been from the 22,36,76,77,80,81,146,147,151 just to name a few. As far as the  artics are concerned down here at 77th they're holding up but they're starting to show there age at this point. A lot of them are sitting along the south fence awaiting repairs and the remaining ones that we do have in service are hanging in there. I'd honestly feel that 77th needs its 40 footers back now at this point because the need for artics dwindle after 7 pm, the only streets that really needs them is cottage grove and 79th. 87th street doesn't need them at all anymore. 

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

If LaSalle doesn’t pick back up you think the interlines might e rearranged? 135, 136 all share artics with the Michigan expresses but only the Michigan’s are picking back up so I’m thinking what if they interline those with the 36 since that bus runs 40 fts

16 hours ago, ajm522 said:

Do you think 77th and C are going to give back artics.

Nah I hope they keep them lol 77th is a spoiled garage when it comes to their fleet. A few yrs back 77th operators complained about artics being on 79th and that’s when they had the upper 4300’s for a short time but they didn’t want to drive them on 79th and eventually they got their wish lol. Due to the pandemic of course they came back and they need to stay there lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Nah I hope they keep them lol 77th is a spoiled garage when it comes to their fleet. A few yrs back 77th operators complained about artics being on 79th and that’s when they had the upper 4300’s for a short time but they didn’t want to drive them on 79th and eventually they got their wish lol. Due to the pandemic of course they came back and they need to stay there lol.

I want them gone ?, I hated having them on the 4 and 79 during the winter and spring pick, they're so slow and the 40 footers that are out there with me would always hang behind me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1