More Bus Moves

sw4400

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

I want them gone ?, I hated having them on the 4 and 79 during the winter and spring pick, they're so slow and the 40 footers that are out there with me would always hang behind me.

You'll probably get your wish, they just gotta decide who gets what. 79th dropped the artics before so why not again. When the new novas come in what are they gonna say. Oh no we gotta keep driving these artics? It probably all hinges on new buses and school runs. That will normalize the fleets. Alot of school runs are artics especially at north park. Now wrigley needs more buses. So demand should pull the buses back. 

6 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Nah I hope they keep them lol 77th is a spoiled garage when it comes to their fleet. A few yrs back 77th operators complained about artics being on 79th and that’s when they had the upper 4300’s for a short time but they didn’t want to drive them on 79th and eventually they got their wish lol. Due to the pandemic of course they came back and they need to stay there lol.

I doubt it’s 77th being spoiled otherwise Chicago would’ve kept there’s from the get go. Cta goofed and followed other cities mistakes of assuming artics are the automatic answer for crowds when sometimes you need to speed up service on the locals to decried or add short turns. They COULD work on the 4 but if the idea is to take out every 3rd bus and it can’t happen the artics cant work. Everything that uses artics now went from 2-3 min headways to 5-7 that couldn’t happen on 79th due to  the number of stops 

27 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

I doubt it’s 77th being spoiled otherwise Chicago would’ve kept there’s from the get go. Cta goofed and followed other cities mistakes of assuming artics are the automatic answer for crowds when sometimes you need to speed up service on the locals to decried or add short turns. They COULD work on the 4 but if the idea is to take out every 3rd bus and it can’t happen the artics cant work. Everything that uses artics now went from 2-3 min headways to 5-7 that couldn’t happen on 79th due to  the number of stops 

So your saying the artics slow down the 79 bro

14 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

So your saying the artics slow down the 79 bro

The idea is since they take up more space they need to be able to reduce service but with the longer dwell times, and constant stops you end up needing the same amount of buses so now you need the same amount but taking up more room which also means less spare ratio. Out of 250 capacity limit 4, 79, and 87 running artics is taking up the space of 125 buses alone (75 buses total during peak but counted as 125 due to size as far as storage). Then you still have 3 and 8 which as also heavy hitters. South Kenzie sees a bit of activity going to the orange line

77th too cause they’re back to the 1270-1300 range only difference is the Allison’s coming back south to 103rd instead of 77th so this definitely looks like a milage swap to a degree. 1248-1270 were originally 103rd and FG buses but now 77th has those and some 1300’s that were at 77th are at 103rd and we all know 103rds 40ft fleet has it easy 

19 hours ago, BusHunter said:

You'll probably get your wish, they just gotta decide who gets what. 79th dropped the artics before so why not again. When the new novas come in what are they gonna say. Oh no we gotta keep driving these artics? It probably all hinges on new buses and school runs. That will normalize the fleets. Alot of school runs are artics especially at north park. Now wrigley needs more buses. So demand should pull the buses back. 

Not to mention extra riders switching to LSD buses cause of RPM 

3 hours ago, ChicagoNova said:

I would say CTA might as well buy new artics for the other garages: 103rd, Kedzie, & North Park. My personal 2 cents.

I think CTA is oversaturated with artics.  The maximum number of NABI artics they had was 225 split among four garages.  With the New Flyers (4000 - 4207), that dwindled to 208.   Initially split among 4 garages, 77th bowed out, reducing it to 3 garages.  Then the Dan Ryan Red Line rebuild came, which brought another 100 artics to CTA.  After that project was completed,  103rd kept some and the rest went to 77th.m, which then swapped its new artics with North Park  then gave them up altogether. 

I would say CTA has about a 75 artic bus surplus.  Assigning 77th artics creates room at the other garages,  but 77th only has ONE LSD express route, which only runs rush periods.  77tb has a dilemma as to where to run artics.  One would automatically think 79th Street,  but apparently it's not working operationally.   Why do artics work on Clark but not on 79th?   77th has had the dilemma since it gave up the 6 to 103rd.  

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

77tb has a dilemma as to where to run artics.  One would automatically think 79th Street,  but apparently it's not working operationally.   Why do artics work on Clark but not on 79th?   77th has had the dilemma since it gave up the 6 to 103rd.  

I think part of the reason has to do with the short-turns. During rush hour, the 79 is essentially 3 different routes running on the same street, which I imagine has to be a little chaotic. As I stated before some months ago, WB trips also take longer because passengers are waiting for the bus they need and buses coming out of order (which is frequent) means it's easier for crowding to happen and it can be instantaneous. It doesn't matter where you're picking up the bus heading EB (west of Western, west of 79DR, west of South Shore), they're all headed to Lakefront.

The 22 is not only slightly less frequent, but also doesn't have as many buses ending at Clark/Foster (in fact, there's so little of them, you can see them all on the schedule, as opposed to "then every 4-5 mins to Wentworth"). My solution (from my non-operators pov) was to run the same number of artics that you would with regular shoeboxes on the 79. Adding higher capacity buses but reducing headways are moves that neutralize each other.

They could always run a single artic on the 43 ?

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I think CTA is oversaturated with artics.  The maximum number of NABI artics they had was 225 split among four garages.  With the New Flyers (4000 - 4207), that dwindled to 208.   Initially split among 4 garages, 77th bowed out, reducing it to 3 garages.  Then the Dan Ryan Red Line rebuild came, which brought another 100 artics to CTA.  After that project was completed,  103rd kept some and the rest went to 77th.m, which then swapped its new artics with North Park  then gave them up altogether. 

I would say CTA has about a 75 artic bus surplus.  Assigning 77th artics creates room at the other garages,  but 77th only has ONE LSD express route, which only runs rush periods.  77tb has a dilemma as to where to run artics.  One would automatically think 79th Street,  but apparently it's not working operationally.   Why do artics work on Clark but not on 79th?   77th has had the dilemma since it gave up the 6 to 103rd.  

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I think part of the reason has to do with the short-turns. During rush hour, the 79 is essentially 3 different routes running on the same street, which I imagine has to be a little chaotic. As I stated before some months ago, WB trips also take longer because passengers are waiting for the bus they need and buses coming out of order (which is frequent) means it's easier for crowding to happen and it can be instantaneous. It doesn't matter where you're picking up the bus heading EB (west of Western, west of 79DR, west of South Shore), they're all headed to Lakefront.

The 22 is not only slightly less frequent, but also doesn't have as many buses ending at Clark/Foster (in fact, there's so little of them, you can see them all on the schedule, as opposed to "then every 4-5 mins to Wentworth"). My solution (from my non-operators pov) was to run the same number of artics that you would with regular shoeboxes on the 79. Adding higher capacity buses but reducing headways are moves that neutralize each other.

They could always run a single artic on the 43 ?

I think 79 and 66 being more isolated routes tend to be part of the issue. Clark and Sheridan at least have some route near by that is a either a bigger draw for longer distance riders or in Clark’s case the 36 acting as a short turn south of diversey. Roosevelt has the 18 up till Halsted so it’s ridership is more focused on UIC and west of that. I think that gave Clark, Sheridan and Roosevelt the room to reduce runs which is the point of artics otherwise you risk not having enough space for spares. Look at schedules of artic routes before they had them compared to after, Clark went from 2-3 min during evening rush to 5 min to foster, 10 min to Howard, Roosevelt went to about the same, Sheridan is running 10-20 min PM rush with its artics compared to 2-3 min AM with its 40fts. 79 and 4 having 30 buses each means those 2 alone eat up 90 buses worth of space or nearly 1/3 of capacity. Not good when you still need another 50-70 for 3, 8 and 87 plus spares so cutting runs are necessary when using artics.