More Bus Moves

sw4400

55 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

well that’s how the 4000‘s were pre covid

Well milage swaps considered you might not end up exactly with what you had before especially with a garage like 77th involved. If anything 103rd and K should switch since 103rd artics need a break and K artics are mainly rush only compared to other artic users. To be honest I feel like part of the reason 103rd has artic issues now is cause sometime aftet there red line shut down; artics from NP (a heavy artic user) made their way to 77th (who ran artics on 79th 24/7) then finally those same artics came to 103rd after 77th said screw artics then Chicago also dumped some heavily used artics to 103rd as well. If anything 4000-4070 should be swapped to 103rd and middle range 4000s need to go to K. 4300s are fine cause they are new and NP needs them since they use artics on more routes

On 11/11/2021 at 12:59 AM, Master58 said:

Since 77th is giving up there remaining artics, I wonder if Chicago is doing the same come the winter pick. 

Smh 77th is, was, and will always be a spoiled ass garage lol. They have no reason to give up their artics they are perfect for 79th but now they’re giving them up simply because they don’t want them at 77th and I’m sick of it! Lol.

54 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Smh 77th is, was, and will always be a spoiled ass garage lol. They have no reason to give up their artics they are perfect for 79th but now they’re giving them up simply because they don’t want them at 77th and I’m sick of it! Lol.

And the 4, especially since service to 115th has increased. 79 and 4 were not any less crowded when I was there last week than they were during 2020

1 hour ago, Mr.cta85 said:

They'll get them back again.  Then get rid of them again.  Lol. 

2 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

And the 4, especially since service to 115th has increased. 79 and 4 were not any less crowded when I was there last week than they were during 2020

It’s not so much of 77th being spoiled moreso they don’t want them because there’s no room. You have 5 routes that demand AT LEAST 120 buses combined. The only way 77th will ever keep artics is to open another garage to move some routes out. Under ideal conditions With an 8th garage you could make 77th work by moving everything that isn’t the 2,3,4, 8, 79 and 87 to another garage and convert those to all artic and reduce the headways slightly as was done on Sheridan, Clark and Roosevelt

2 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

They were a menace to society to operate especially when the spare ratio was down and we had to borrow busses more than ever for the PM rush. I remember having a conversation with a garage bus servicer and they told me that the #4000s and #7900s had the most breakdowns compared to the #1000s. I'm a witness to it, I had cottage so much during the pandemic as a Part timer and almost every #4000 I had to operate had some sort of issue with it. One can argue and say that we ran them to hard but at the same time the issues weren't always mechanical.  I've been preaching about how the #1000s are the best busses we have right now with the least amount of problems. 

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Even with less #4000s in service down here the manpower shortage has made it appear that we need more of them but that's not the case. I've seen bus convoys of all series on 79th barely having anyone on the 2nd or 3rd bus behind the leader which is packed to the max. As for cottage grove it's almost the same as 79th to some degree but usually by the time you get to 87th using a #4000 on a trip to 115th the bus gets fairly empty with no more than 10 passengers onboard. Some days are better than others when it comes to manpower evening things out when it comes to passenger loads so let's not get carried away here. 

43 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

It’s not so much of 77th being spoiled moreso they don’t want them because there’s no room. You have 5 routes that demand AT LEAST 120 buses combined. The only way 77th will ever keep artics is to open another garage to move some routes out. Under ideal conditions With an 8th garage you could make 77th work by moving everything that isn’t the 2,3,4, 8, 79 and 87 to another garage and convert those to all artic and reduce the headways slightly as was done on Sheridan, Clark and Roosevelt

If that were the case I'd go to 74th then just avoid operating 60 footers ?.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

They were a menace to society to operate especially when the spare ratio was down and we had to borrow busses more than ever for the PM rush. I remember having a conversation with a garage bus servicer and they told me that the #4000s and #7900s had the most breakdowns compared to the #1000s. I'm a witness to it, I had cottage so much during the pandemic as a Part timer and almost every #4000 I had to operate had some sort of issue with it. One can argue and say that we ran them to hard but at the same time the issues weren't always mechanical.  I've been preaching about how the #1000s are the best busses we have right now with the least amount of problems. 

Even with less #4000s in service down here the manpower shortage has made it appear that we need more of them but that's not the case. I've seen bus convoys of all series on 79th barely having anyone on the 2nd or 3rd bus behind the leader which is packed to the max. As for cottage grove it's almost the same as 79th to some degree but usually by the time you get to 87th using a #4000 on a trip to 115th the bus gets fairly empty with no more than 10 passengers onboard. Some days are better than others when it comes to manpower evening things out when it comes to passenger loads so let's not get carried away here. 

If that were the case I'd go to 74th then just avoid operating 60 footers ?.

Yeah problem is now you have no where to move anything to properly make room for artics to work they have routes that could use them but no space to service and maintain spares 

4 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Lmafo facts bro I've been saying that for years 7 get all of the new buses they are the favorite child I wouldn't be surprised if they get the 8350's & push the 7900's off to other garages 

9 hours ago, Sam92 said:

I understand the points about space and the spare ratio. However, I keep saying reducing the headways and adding artics is counterproductive. All you end up with is buses crowded at the same level they would’ve been had you not introduced artics at all.

8 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

As for cottage grove it's almost the same as 79th to some degree but usually by the time you get to 87th using a #4000 on a trip to 115th the bus gets fairly empty with no more than 10 passengers onboard.

Somewhat unrelated, I really want to know where the 95th-115th ridership is going. I know Cottage Grove is a commercial corridor, but I can’t think of many passenger draws that would’ve sustained this alignment. IIRC, this wasn’t even piloted, the change was just implemented one day. I assume Cottage/87th was one target (esp when the Target was still there) but I can’t imagine the Green Line or Hyde Park being destinations either (although as I type this, I forgot the UofC Hospitals are on the Cottage Grove side). 115th is also a long ride downtown (pretty sure the farthest you can get on one ride too).

49 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I understand the points about space and the spare ratio. However, I keep saying reducing the headways and adding artics is counterproductive. All you end up with is buses crowded at the same level they would’ve been had you not introduced artics at all.

Truth be told every route using artics successfully have reduced headways. Notice how AM 151 is 3-4 min with standards but PM is 10-20 with artics? Same with Clark they were 2-3 min then 5 min after artics. From a “making sure people are comfy” standpoint yes it’s counterproductive but the reduced headways from using artics successfully frees up man power and allows those 40ft buses to be relocated along with the freed up drivers to add a bus to other routes which even if it doesn’t bump up frequency will allow more layover time which keeps buses on time and the drivers refreshed. If it wasn’t for Covid cta would be trying to pack every bus. Search “yerkes” on this forum…. He’s the man behind that mode of operation and the “yerkes theory” was made based off “your buses make the most bang for their buck when their packed. 

57 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Somewhat unrelated, I really want to know where the 95th-115th ridership is going. I know Cottage Grove is a commercial corridor, but I can’t think of many passenger draws that would’ve sustained this alignment. IIRC, this wasn’t even piloted, the change was just implemented one day. I assume Cottage/87th was one target (esp when the Target was still there) but I can’t imagine the Green Line or Hyde Park being destinations either (although as I type this, I forgot the UofC Hospitals are on the Cottage Grove side). 115th is also a long ride downtown (pretty sure the farthest you can get on one ride too).

I’ll bite. Maybe some patterns from 1969 are coming back (this is the 2nd time the 4 had this routing), a lot of low income riders accessing services up and down the corridor leads to a lot of transferring some days when someone from say Pullman may need to get to the link office on 80th or vice verse with people on cottage needing the Social security office near the Pullman part of cottage (south of 95th). You mentioned the hospitals already but there’s also the 2 which also got a lot of riders switching from the 4 in the mornings.  87th is one of the few corners with a reasonable amount of stuff for people to stop at and get needs even without target. That’s also what makes cottage questionable for artics in some cases cause it’s pretty much like the 9 not needing them; the crowds are from people jumping on and off rather than all slowly building up for the same trip downtown as with on a zone express route. 

The 4 extension to 115th came about as part of the South Side service improvements in Sept 2016, along with the 95E/W consolidation and improvements to the Green Line, 26, 34, 71, and 119.

https://www.transitchicago.com/mayor-emanuel-cta-to-provide-improved-more-frequent-bus-service-on-chicago’s-south-far-south-sides/

I would imagine that the Metra Electric is a lot more competitive since the fares were cut in half and the service improvements happened, but the Metra service levels are still pretty challenging to plan trips around.

Cottage Grove Downtown to 115th was the routing of the streetcars and buses from 8/12/1918 through to 9/28/1969 when the service was cut back to 95th, with the opening of the Dan Ryan rapid transit line, artificially forcing passengers south of 95th onto the new rapid transit line, or a change of bus at 95th to reach their destination. Prior to 8/12/1918 the line had run as far south as 119th since 2/23/1913. Restoring through service south of 95th made sense in 2016.