Red & Purple Modernization Project (RPM)

Kevin

That segment is going to be painfully slow because they will be asking for double service on half the trackage, that is under slow zone order within that mile. At least they used their noodle, and are going to fix the eb side first. That is the slower of the two sides.

On the bus alternative front, it would be faster if say you were traveling to Chicago or Grand, but into the heart of the loop the train would probably still be faster. Maybe they need to explore bidirectional #136's just for this project. It would give some extra service and be direct to the loop. Depends how many would be reverse commuting, but the extended downtime one makes going lite from end to end is sort of wasteful. 

​You got me to reread it more closely. However, I am relying on the following from page 8:

Reconstructing the Tracks
The Build Alternative would also completely reconstruct the elevated track system from Leland Avenue to near Ardmore Avenue. The proposed structure would be a closed-deck, aerial structure with direct-fixation track, welded rail (welded at joints), and noise barriers. With direct-fixation track, rails are mounted to specially designed concrete blocks that are fixed to the concrete deck. (emphasis added)

The question is also what one can get out of the diagram on page 9. It looks like they retain the embankment, but stick  the columns through it and then build the deck above the embankment. I guess one can ask whether that is the whole length of the line or just at the stations and viaducts, but from the description described above, seems like the whole length of the line.

​I see with the diagram they want a pit under the concrete base with earth fill under the pit. The overall height of the tracks will be higher than the current structure. I don't know why they would want a pit, they say it's for maintenance, but it could be used to hide cables under the structure. Perhaps a CTA wifi network one day.

So how will that work when they link it with the old structure at Ardmore? You would think the last 100 feet would have to be done twice.

​I see with the diagram they want a pit under the concrete base with earth fill under the pit. The overall height of the tracks will be higher than the current structure. I don't know why they would want a pit, they say it's for maintenance, but it could be used to hide cables under the structure. Perhaps a CTA wifi network one day.

So how will that work when they link it with the old structure at Ardmore? You would think the last 100 feet would have to be done twice.

​There are already fiber optic systems on the L. Don't need what is in the subways, because you can connect with cell towers outside.

On the other issue, either yes, or they haven't figured out north of Ardmore yet (as I may have implied with the references to Loyola and Granville).

• 2 months later...

Well it looks like they are going to fix the Purple line ties finally.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/cta-purple-line-express-to-undergo-renovation/837337/

That service is painfully slow. I don't know if they were trying "to milk" the concept of how bad the tracks can get to get the feds to send them some money. They probably will get full funding for an rpm anyway. It was embarrassing to see the new trains run so slow. Besides by the time they get some actually construction going the red line tracks might be worn out or wearing out. This should be a beneficial project.

• Upvote 2

http://abc7chicago.com/news/cta-purple-line-express-to-undergo-renovation/837337/

That service is painfully slow. I don't know if they were trying "to milk" the concept of how bad the tracks can get to get the feds to send them some money. They probably will get full funding for an rpm anyway. It was embarrassing to see the new trains run so slow. Besides by the time they get some actually construction going the red line tracks might be worn out or wearing out. This should be a beneficial project.

Oh my God, I was riding northbound the other day to South Blvd and it's f'ing ridiculous. The atrocious speeds it was going, I can literally ride my bike faster than that and beat them to the finish line (Howard)!!! xD

Southbound isn't that bad at all but this construction is really much needed.

However, this appears to be another band aid, as the description in that story (Lawrence to Jarvis) indicates territory to be completely ripped out by the RPM. Also, by saying "Purple Line" gave the impression that in Evanston, although the actual headline was "Purple Line Express."

• Upvote 1

However, this appears to be another band aid, as the description in that story (Lawrence to Jarvis) indicates territory to be completely ripped out by the RPM. Also, by saying "Purple Line" gave the impression that in Evanston, although the actual headline was "Purple Line Express."

Yeah, kind of a waste but it's needed. That track is in dire straits and needs something done for it. Seems like they mostly want to replace ties, a little running rail and few other things. They also sound like they will bounce around, like I doubt they'll work on around Thorndale to Granville where the train goes full speed for a stop or two. It doesn't seem like it's a complete tie renewal, just something to get the south portion to 2018 or whenever the rpm will start. I would worry more about the Ardmore to Jarvis segment, especially the curves as that's not even planned for construction until 2030. I'd give that a complete tie renewal. I don't think they ever did fix all the ties in evanston, I remember complaining they did every 3rd tie, but the speeds have increased in Evanston so If they didn't need to do all ties to get the line up to speed good for them.

Edited by BusHunter
  • Upvote 1

I was just riding on the Purple Line Express, and was thinking that between all the slow zones on the Ravenswood Connector and those on the North Side Main Line, it's likely faster to ride the Red Line from the Loop and change to the Purple at Howard. 

At least they considered it worthy to invest in this project. 

I was just riding on the Purple Line Express, and was thinking that between all the slow zones on the Ravenswood Connector and those on the North Side Main Line, it's likely faster to ride the Red Line from the Loop and change to the Purple at Howard. 

At least they considered it worthy to invest in this project. 

Funnily enough, that happened to a friend of mine and I while in Chicago recently. We were leaving Lake (Red) and she decided she wanted to stay on the train (this was after the conductor said that the train would be holding for 7 mins for schedule readjustment). We were going to Howard, so I went up to catch the purple line. We didn't catch #5357 (the train car we were riding in) until after it left Argyle

• 5 weeks later...

I was trying to figure out why they installed this railing on the purple line express. It goes from Jarvis to Lawrence on the north side main.

woodapolooza.thumb.png.a54b930ee1b422d56

At first I was wondering if they are trying to keep people from jumping on/off the structure or they were trying to impress the feds to get more funding. (we need to shore up this line because it is so bad) Then I saw some work equipment at lawrence, so what they are worried of a collapse or someone getting beaned below? They have started fixing ties in the vicinity of lawrence. i couldn't tell if it's every tie or every fourth one. So then I was looking at ties. They did a complete segment around montrose, impressive, but down around irving pk, they have ties that are splintering and in places the rail looks like it's resting on shards of wood, scary. I never saw that before on an elevated structure to that degree, just on the blue line where there was ballast. With the elevated there is no ballast, so what happens when the tie snaps? They visit down below?

I was trying to figure out why they installed this railing on the purple line express. It goes from Jarvis to Lawrence on the north side main.

woodapolooza.thumb.png.a54b930ee1b422d56

At first I was wondering if they are trying to keep people from jumping on/off the structure or they were trying to impress the feds to get more funding. (we need to shore up this line because it is so bad) Then I saw some work equipment at lawrence, so what they are worried of a collapse or someone getting beaned below? They have started fixing ties in the vicinity of lawrence. i couldn't tell if it's every tie or every fourth one. So then I was looking at ties. They did a complete segment around montrose, impressive, but down around irving pk, they have ties that are splintering and in places the rail looks like it's resting on shards of wood, scary. I never saw that before on an elevated structure to that degree, just on the blue line where there was ballast. With the elevated there is no ballast, so what happens when the tie snaps? They visit down below?

It is obviously to keep someone from falling from the embankment.

Since they announced they were doing something to fix the slow zones on that stretch (which you seem to confirm), maybe it is a workplace safety matter.

• 1 month later...
  • garmon757 featured, pinned and unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

Does the RPM plan call for eliminating the at-grade crossings on the Purple Line at Maple and Isabella? I haven't been able to find any such information yet in the documents.

Essentially it means doing nothing north of Howard.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, joechicago said:

Wow. Can't wait to ride again. Will they get up to 55 SB eventually?

Sure, they must be still working on that side, plus they have to slow down for Wilson reconstruction as there is no track 1. On the Nb it does slow down around Loyola to Howard to 35 mph, but it's so much better than it was. It's so refreshing going express again. We passed 4 Red lines!! The train was crowded for a change, I think people were seeing the Purple line is now passing the Red line, so it once again a viable alternative. I felt like Jack Black in the movie "The Jackal" when he says" that mofo is state of the art" xD They seemed like they have had slow zones up there for a few years at least.

28 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Sure, they must be still working on that side, plus they have to slow down for Wilson reconstruction as there is no track 1. On the Nb it does slow down around Loyola to Howard to 35 mph, but it's so much better than it was. It's so refreshing going express again. We passed 4 Red lines!! The train was crowded for a change, I think people were seeing the Purple line is now passing the Red line, so it once again a viable alternative. I felt like Jack Black in the movie "The Jackal" when he says" that mofo is state of the art" xD They seemed like they have had slow zones up there for a few years at least.

Yeah, it really makes me wonder why they couldn't do the f'ing pilot after the track improvement. Idiots I tell ya!

Rode Track 4 today as part of the Red Line re-routes. We went 55mph from Lawrence, slowed to 35mph just after Granville, and then down to 25mph ahead of Morse. Even with the slower speeds further north the whole trip felt super fast. I wonder if they'll be able to eventually go 55 all the way up to Howard, or if the curves will generally preclude that?

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
15 hours ago, joechicago said:

A new slow zone map was posted. Looks like some big improvements, though there still are slow zones on track one by Loyola.

http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/rail_slow_zone_maps/Slow_Zone_Map_-_201512_Dec.pdf

Yeah I checked it out last night, the Nb runs 55 mph up to Loyola from Lawrence then it's 35 to Howard but now the sb which was doing 35 sb is doing 55 mph again loyola to about balmoral or just south of Bryn Mawr. Cause they have track 1 closed at Lawrence I guess they want to make sure the train stops in time. Otherwise it would probably be to Lawrence sb.

• Upvote 1