Red & Purple Modernization Project (RPM)

Kevin

8 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

yes they have installed 95% signals at thorndale all signal indicators are up i think they are in use now but signals still need to be hooked up and working and yes berwyn has a signal house over the alley and there is a also a new signal house up on the south end of the platform on loyola 

also question for anyone will the granville interlocking be removed? since there’s a new one at thorndale

Probably since it makes no sense to have one at granville I'd say no but yet again how can a train cross over two tracks???  One at thorndale one at granville. How else can a track 4 train go from track 2 to 4? Maybe your right about track 1. Since you are going straight and you will always go straight there maybe it doesnt need a lineup signal indicator. But on track 2 you will need to go to one. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I suppose this is East Sheridan Rd, which becomes Devon Ave west of Broadway.  Sheridan then runs north replacing Broadway north of Devon. The "Avenue might actually be the north south portion if Sheridan between Devon and Pratt, which includes Loyola's campus.

I live near there, there has never been a "Sheridan Ave."   My best guess is that West Sheridan Rd. from Broadway east to North Sheridan Rd. will be closed for some work to reinforce the bridge over West Sheridan, which has had steel supports in the piers for years.  Maybe they will need Sheridan closed to bring in cranes to remove the Granville interlocking.

52 minutes ago, strictures said:

I live near there, there has never been a "Sheridan Ave."   My best guess is that West Sheridan Rd. from Broadway east to North Sheridan Rd. will be closed for some work to reinforce the bridge over West Sheridan, which has had steel supports in the piers for years.  Maybe they will need Sheridan closed to bring in cranes to remove the Granville interlocking.

I guess the way CTA should have phrased it by saying between W Sheridan Rd and North Sheridan Rd. Except there's a similar setup at Byron and Sheffield and that's near the Sheridan Red Line station.   Even though there is no official Sheridan Avenue, I think Avenue may better describe the area near Loyola better than near Byron and Sheffield.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, so I was on the Red Line train going towards Howard and I seen this construction over at Bryn Mawr. It definitely looks like the making of a passenger train platform and perhaps a station too. I have to guess that this is related to the planned reconstruction of the Bryn Mawr station? Will this be the temporary southbound platform for the next few years until the work is completed? And if so, what about the temporary northbound platform, will it be constructed over at that vacant space right on the southeast side of the bridge?

image.jpg

image.jpg

1AC0B8C7-4D33-4BF1-B248-02F381B67FAF.jpeg

50 minutes ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

Hey guys, so I was on the Red Line train going towards Howard and I seen this construction over at Bryn Mawr. It definitely looks like the making of a passenger train platform and perhaps a station too. I have to guess that this is related to the planned reconstruction of the Bryn Mawr station? Will this be the temporary southbound platform for the next few years until the work is completed? And if so, what about the temporary northbound platform, will it be constructed over at that vacant space right on the southeast side of the bridge?

image.jpg

image.jpg

It us related to the Red/Purple Modernization Project.   I don't think there will be a temporary NB platform.  Remember track 1 (outbound PURPLE lune teack)) will be torn down and rebuilt.

2 hours ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

It us related to the Red/Purple Modernization Project.   I don't think there will be a temporary NB platform.  Remember track 1 (outbound PURPLE lune teack)) will be torn down and rebuilt.

Yeah there will be temporary platforms at 2 stations to allow continued bidirectional service  that otherwise wouldn’t happen if not constructed due to the fact that all trains will be forced to one half of the structure in the area meaning red lines are gonna end up on the outside track for various phases necessitiating the need for an outside platform to accommodate. Now as far as exact details you’ll have to wait till I’m off work to see so I can look it up but other wise it’s super deep in the documents on the RPM site on transitchicago cause I’ll also probably forget to check ?

On 11/11/2020 at 11:07 AM, TaylorTank1229 said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for the pics.  Here are the links for Stage A temporary Southbound stations Bryn Mawr and Argyle:

https://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/6/Bryn_Mawr_Temporary_Station_Board_36X24.pdf

https://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/6/Argyle_Temporary_Station_Board_36X24.pdf

Yes, you are correct. If you look at the .pdf for Bryn Mawr, you can see the empty lot SE of Bryn Mawr and the tracks for a future Stage B temporary Northbound station (Bryn Mawr only)

I don't have the link that explained the Stage B stations, but remember reading that in Stage B, only Bryn Mawr gets a temporary Northbound station, but not Argyle due to lack of space at Argyle.

• 1 month later...

Update on construction for the temporary placement of the Bryn Mawr station.

Looks like the temporary southbound-only platform is almost ready to be opened up for serivce, and worker to be adding an extra extension for the current main platform which will soon be used as the temporary northbound-only platform for the station.

1 hour ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

Looks like the temporary southbound-only platform is almost ready to be opened up for serivce, and worker to be adding an extra extension for the current main platform which will soon be used as the temporary northbound-only platform for the station.

in my opinion i ride the red and purple every day they did the bryn mawr station quick

On 12/18/2020 at 12:40 PM, TaylorTank1229 said:

IMG_9185.MOV

In case anyone else is having trouble getting video in .MOV format, here's the same video in .mp4 (credit to TaylorTank1229)

• Thanks 1

Top 2 photos are for Bryn Mawr, looks like they have the signs up for the southbound stationhouse entrance + stationhouse looks like it’s about done, and lights on the platform are on. 

Bottom 2 are for Argyle. Stationhouse is still under construction, as well as the platform but it looks about half complete.

So what I’m wondering is, will they open up the new temporary stations when their both complete? My close guess is they’ll open up Bryn Mawr first since it’s nearly completed. Plus I think I read that when the temp-stations for the two open, Berwyn & Lawrence stations will close up from service altogether during the 4-year reconstruction. 

9A26DCA4-3D85-4365-83CA-415CE7892201.jpeg

B9677A00-7D1E-40E2-A5B5-D8B5AC14892F.jpeg

B957C1BD-0074-4301-9EE7-B454E7D44523.jpeg

1 hour ago, strictures said:

I'm guessing the temp stations will be in use for a long time & they don't want problems with them falling apart.

I thought someone might have said that Bryn mawr was going to be  used as a purple line connection to red in the future. Well have to see if argyle is the same quality.

1 hour ago, strictures said:

I'm guessing the temp stations will be in use for a long time & they don't want problems with them falling apart.

Well the RPM is estimated to go on up to 2025 until reconstruction of the current Bryn Mawr, Berwyn, Argyle & Lawrence stations are completed. So it makes sense they would want the foundation of the temp-stations to last for a long period of time.

42 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I thought someone might have said that Bryn mawr was going to be  used as a purple line connection to red in the future. Well have to see if argyle is the same quality.

That was an exercise of “how cta could make the most of RPM” by using the purple line to relieve the red line Which solves the issue of too many trains out on the Dan Ryan. The official transfer option offered by cta outside of Wilson would’ve been Loyola. 

17 hours ago, Sam92 said:

That was an exercise of “how cta could make the most of RPM” by using the purple line to relieve the red line Which solves the issue of too many trains out on the Dan Ryan. The official transfer option offered by cta outside of Wilson would’ve been Loyola. 

Loyola seems like the hardest place to build a transfer platform. Unless they would've been using crossovers?

17 hours ago, Sam92 said:

You are correct.  Loyola was the other transfer point.   To me, aNy benefit to switching to Purple is offset  by the slower Purple service south of Belmont. Once upon a time, the Evanston  Express had express trackage south of Armitage, bypassing Sedgwick, which had island platforms.  THE Purple is now designed to be a Brown reliever Moreno than Red 

You are correct.  Loyola was the other transfer point.   To me, aNy benefit to switching to Purple is offset  by the slower Purple service south of Belmont. Once upon a time, the Evanston  Express had express trackage south of Armitage, bypassing Sedgwick, which had island platforms.  THE Purple is now designed to be a Brown reliever Moreno than Red 

Purple Line from Loyola (hypothethically) or from Wilson (reality) to Fullerton would still be faster than the Red Line, if both trains left from the station at the exact same time. I agree with your point about it being a Brown reliever however