Red & Purple Modernization Project (RPM)

Kevin

I don't know if this would happen,  but the rebuilt structure should be at least a foot higher than the current structure. Most viaducts north of Wilson are about 11'8".  I believe Sheridan viaducts near Devon are at least 12'4" if not 12'8".  This will make the north Lakefront area more accessible to more truck traffic.   It won't be tall enough for semis, but some delivery box trucks would have better access.

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I don't know if this would happen,  but the rebuilt structure should be at least a foot higher than the current structure. Most viaducts north of Wilson are about 11'8".  I believe Sheridan viaducts near Devon are at least 12'4" if not 12'8".  This will make the north Lakefront area more accessible to more truck traffic.   It won't be tall enough for semis, but some delivery box trucks would have better access.

Yessir 

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, NovaBusFan said:

True, they had a extremely terrible day at work today lol. I’m guessing they are going through the most challenging parts of this project.

Well unfortunately this slowed down the project and now this amazing project will have to be on hold for a short while. That project actually was exciting and now the construction equipment falling down that's sad I hope nothing in the new stations got damaged :(

59 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Well unfortunately this slowed down the project and now this amazing project will have to be on hold for a short while. That project actually was exciting and now the construction equipment falling down that's sad I hope nothing in the new stations got damaged :(

Yeah that’s just some fucked up BS. Now I believe this is gonna be completed either in winter 2024 or early 2025. This is slated to be done in fall 2024. Hopefully when they return back to work soon, let’s just hope they can quickly jump back on where they Left on.

42 minutes ago, NovaBusFan said:

Yeah that’s just some fucked up BS. Now I believe this is gonna be completed either in winter 2024 or early 2025. This is slated to be done in fall 2024. Hopefully when they return back to work soon, let’s just hope they can quickly jump back on where they Left on.

Well depends on if anything besides what collapsed damaged the structure itself but its all gotta be torn down. Personally i see it being a big issue if it would’ve fell into the still standing structure but I’m not with the crews. 

9 hours ago, NovaBusFan said:

Ye but please try not to curse here if you can ok. Ye might take a short time to get everything set up again 

21 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Ye but please try not to curse here if you can ok. Ye might take a short time to get everything set up again 

Honestly as bad as it is it could’ve been worse. Can y’all imagine if it collapsed the embankment like with the yellow line?? We’d need a new set of express bus zones to handle all that ?

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Well depends on if anything besides what collapsed damaged the structure itself but its all gotta be torn down. Personally i see it being a big issue if it would’ve fell into the still standing structure but I’m not with the crews. 

Ye I hope that nothing on the temporary stations are damaged most likely it appears that the side they are demolishing some may be damaged but I just hope everyone is ok.

1 hour ago, NovaBusFan said:

Ye I hope that nothing on the temporary stations are damaged most likely it appears that the side they are demolishing some may be damaged but I just hope everyone is ok.

nothing is damaged (station wise track wise and all of that) only downed power lines and a damaged car next to the construction site red line is good

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 8:13 PM, artthouwill said:

My understanding is that when the east structure is rebuilt, temporary stations will be built at the same stops while the west structure,  including those temporary stations, will be torn down.  I'm guessing the new permanent stations will be built while the west structure is being rebuilt

For Stage B, once the east structure is rebuilt, the temporary stations will be built at similar stops but with different modifications.

- The temporary Argyle station will be replaced with a temporary Foster/Winona station with an island platform for both Howard- and 95th-bound boarding, adjacent to a future pocket track, just a block north of Argyle.

- A new temporary Bryn Mawr station will be open, but it'll be 95th-bound boarding only as there won't be any room to build a Howard-bound platform. The newly rebuilt tracks 3 and 4 will be approximately 12 feet east from its original location, according to the track construction diagrams on the project homepage.

7 minutes ago, jackathan said:

For Stage B, once the east structure is rebuilt, the temporary stations will be built at similar stops but with different modifications.

- The temporary Argyle station will be replaced with a temporary Foster/Winona station with an island platform for both Howard- and 95th-bound boarding, adjacent to a future pocket track, just a block north of Argyle.

- A new temporary Bryn Mawr station will be open, but it'll be 95th-bound boarding only as there won't be any room to build a Howard-bound platform. The newly rebuilt tracks 3 and 4 will be approximately 12 feet east from its original location, according to the track construction diagrams on the project homepage.

I hope that 12 feet east doesnt throw off the alignment of the tracks. You see how the main is south of sheridan it swings in and out. How do they run an express then at full speed? 

According the ada guidelines the wheelchair accesible stations platforms need to be a little wider to safely allow the wheelchairs to pass. 

8 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I hope that 12 feet east doesnt throw off the alignment of the tracks. You see how the main is south of sheridan it swings in and out. How do they run an express then at full speed? 

According the ada guidelines the wheelchair accesible stations platforms need to be a little wider to safely allow the wheelchairs to pass. 

The NSML will be totally rebuilt south of Irving Park Road, because there's no way Sheridan can be made ADA accessible.  That will get rid of the two jogs in the tracks there.  My guess is that there will be a new Irving Park station to replace Sheridan.

As for any realignment at the rebuilt stations north of Wilson, they will simply have gentle curves which will allow fast express trains.  And if you were around as long as I have been, prior to to total rebuild of the tracks on the embankment decades ago [1970s?], for some weird reason, Track 2 always had a slight jog eastward after every station from Granville south to Lawrence & then had a slight jog back west, before every platform.  Why Track 2 wasn't perfectly straight always baffled me.

40 minutes ago, strictures said:

The NSML will be totally rebuilt south of Irving Park Road, because there's no way Sheridan can be made ADA accessible.  That will get rid of the two jogs in the tracks there.  My guess is that there will be a new Irving Park station to replace Sheridan.

As for any realignment at the rebuilt stations north of Wilson, they will simply have gentle curves which will allow fast express trains.  And if you were around as long as I have been, prior to to total rebuild of the tracks on the embankment decades ago [1970s?], for some weird reason, Track 2 always had a slight jog eastward after every station from Granville south to Lawrence & then had a slight jog back west, before every platform.  Why Track 2 wasn't perfectly straight always baffled me.

Well the sb tracks should be unaffected because they are sitting in the footprint of its future spot. Nb trains will likely have to slow down similar to what happens at addison sb on the purple tracks. I think the way the new setup is, is that track 4 will be over the alley so maybe there wont be much of a jog. That may not be possible however at places with no alley unless they buy some land. Its my understanding that the completed project will be on an elevated structure versus an embankment so well see how it turns out.

19 hours ago, BusHunter said:

When everything is completed I am wondering how will it turn out for the purple line express since they run up to 55 mph, and I hope the platforms will be as bigger than I expect maybe big as the platforms at Wilson or a bit bigger? But tbh Sheridan is the worse out of all stations you can clearly the first few cars of every train tilting and getting ready to start the sharp turn as the train departs.

21 minutes ago, NovaBusFan said:

When everything is completed I am wondering how will it turn out for the purple line express since they run up to 55 mph, and I hope the platforms will be as bigger than I expect maybe big as the platforms at Wilson or a bit bigger? But tbh Sheridan is the worse out of all stations you can clearly the first few cars of every train tilting and getting ready to start the sharp turn as the train departs.

Pretty sure the Purple Line won’t be running that fast through the station. Sheridan probably won’t even be reconstructed with double island platforms, since Evanston-based Cubs fans can now transfer at Wilson to reach Addison.

• 2 weeks later...