Red & Purple Modernization Project (RPM)

Kevin

42 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Wouldn't it be more likely that one track at a time would be taken out of service and there would be no PLE at all, just PLS? While single-island platforms seem enticing, it feels like it would be more work (and ROW acquisition) than just modernizing the existing platforms

Evanston wasn't scheduled as part of RPM at all, but with some of the embankment being 120 years old and the pledge to make all stations accessible by 2040, CTA will have to do something. Side platforms would seem to make more sense at Main and Dempster.

27 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Evanston wasn't scheduled as part of RPM at all, but with some of the embankment being 120 years old and the pledge to make all stations accessible by 2040, CTA will have to do something. Side platforms would seem to make more sense at Main and Dempster.

where can i find all 3 phases or are there just 2?

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Wouldn't it be more likely that one track at a time would be taken out of service and there would be no PLE at all, just PLS? While single-island platforms seem enticing, it feels like it would be more work (and ROW acquisition) than just modernizing the existing platforms

If you mean at that particular station, I guess  I was thinking more of the larger project since the entire structure along the Purple has to be rebuilt anyway.  As precedent,  the Pink Line  was all side platforms between Hoyne and Pulaski when it was the Douglas branch.   The Renew the Blue made all of those stations island platforms.   Basically the tracks and platforms were switched.  

What I want to see is the Purple Line stations be able to accommodate 8 car consists.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

If you mean at that particular station, I guess  I was thinking more of the larger project since the entire structure along the Purple has to be rebuilt anyway.  As precedent,  the Pink Line  was all side platforms between Hoyne and Pulaski when it was the Douglas branch.   The Renew the Blue made all of those stations island platforms.   Basically the tracks and platforms were switched.  

What I want to see is the Purple Line stations be able to accommodate 8 car consists.

No, I’d meant along the entire line.

Didn’t know that about the Pink, if that can be done for the Purple Line without unnecessary hardship, that’s great

With the pandemic, I’m not sure demand for the PLE is ever going to bounce back to the point where 8-cars are necessary. It’d be nice I guess, but it shouldn’t be a priority.

7 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

No, I’d meant along the entire line.

Didn’t know that about the Pink, if that can be done for the Purple Line without unnecessary hardship, that’s great

With the pandemic, I’m not sure demand for the PLE is ever going to bounce back to the point where 8-cars are necessary. It’d be nice I guess, but it shouldn’t be a priority.

I guess maybe not a priority now  nit before the 1990s no one thought the Brown line would morph into the system's 3rd busiest rail line

The capacity may not be needed for years but we don't know what the future holds.  If nothing else, 8 car platforms are pretty much standard on all other lines except Yellow. And the oddity at Cottage Grove. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2022 at 6:03 PM, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

this weekend they’re connecting track 3 (NB howard track) to track 2 (SB 95th trains) the next 2 weekends crews will work on installing interlocking for SB brown line trains to use the temporary track thru belmont 

Went through Belmont last week. Inbound Brown line trains switch to the disused outbound tack at the west end of the flyover and join track 2 north of Belmont station. They then use the western diamond to reach Platform 1. Red and Purple trains use track 3 direct into Platform 2 southbound and Platform 3 straight into track 4 northbound. They have already built a substantial part of a new track one west of the existing structure from Belmont to Clark Junction. A photograph from the top of the flyover is attached.

Belmont_Mar-2022.jpg

1 hour ago, busfan2847 said:

Went through Belmont last week. Inbound Brown line trains switch to the disused outbound tack at the west end of the flyover and join track 2 north of Belmont station. They then use the western diamond to reach Platform 1. Red and Purple trains use track 3 direct into Platform 2 southbound and Platform 3 straight into track 4 northbound. They have already built a substantial part of a new track one west of the existing structure from Belmont to Clark Junction. A photograph from the top of the flyover is attached.

Belmont_Mar-2022.jpg

correct inbound trains will use that temp track for a week or 2 while crews connect the temp track once the temp track is connected the old structure comes down can’t wait to see this progress 

• 3 weeks later...

I had a moment to look closely at the current progress of the new support beams for the stretch between Wilson and Thorndale, and I see that the heights of the beams at the points that the new concrete structures that hold the future tracks will sit upon are taller than original embankment and tracks. So based on that, the new tracks in turn are going to sit higher than the originals.

20 minutes ago, jajuan said:

I had a moment to look closely at the current progress of the new support beams for the stretch between Wilson and Thorndale, and I see that the heights of the beams at the points that the new concrete structures that hold the future tracks will sit upon are taller than original embankment and tracks. So based on that, the new tracks in turn are going to sit higher than the originals.

correct and if you notice from hollywood to ardmore (northbound) the height of the new structure starts to head downhill to meet wit the current structure 

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

Hopefully it's at least a foot taller

At 12'8"  most delivery and box trucks can navigate those viaduct

There should be a viaduct of two that goes 14' to accommodate the semis that need access to Sheridan.   Definitely no less than q2'9,"

Preferably they'll be 13ft.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Front end of the gantry hanging over bryn mawr they are moving really fast heading south track collums have been installed all the way up until berwyn

7F89E084-0579-45D5-90DD-F751C8554D6B.jpeg

4A228C75-CD46-4559-B680-09E2359B6028.jpeg

Looks real modern I saw one of those concrete parallogram sections on 1st Avenue yesterday no doubt heading there.

• 2 weeks later...

finally went to see progress earlier this week as crews install segments over bryn mawr ave…..i noticed segment columns  have been installed all the way up to argyle they are still drill shafting at foster ave currently. This northbound construction is moving really quickly considering the delay they took over the drill rig collapse

7281BDEB-E9AB-4A1C-A8B4-4591E82268F3.jpeg

AE9BC77C-849E-478F-BB8C-BF60A5068F29.jpeg

3934D0C0-012F-4BA7-85D4-B0A419518707.jpeg

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

finally went to see progress earlier this week as crews install segments over bryn mawr ave…..i noticed segment columns  have been installed all the way up to argyle they are still drill shafting at foster ave currently. This northbound construction is moving really quickly considering the delay they took over the drill rig collapse

7281BDEB-E9AB-4A1C-A8B4-4591E82268F3.jpeg

AE9BC77C-849E-478F-BB8C-BF60A5068F29.jpeg

3934D0C0-012F-4BA7-85D4-B0A419518707.jpeg

Where is a drone when you need one???

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a pic I had a chance to snap at Bryn Mawr today on my way home from work of how things are looking at present with the viaduct reconstruction. They've made significant progress in the two and a half weeks since others posted picture updates.

IMG_20220516_161839272_HDR.thumb.jpg.89c609cb47db982ae67401218d1c1acf.jpg

One thing I forgot to mention was that last I saw before today, the pillars and base of the new track structure didn't extend as far down to the south of Bryn Mawr. I think it was still only up to just beyond crossing Bryn Mawr as shown in the Flickr pics that @dailycommuter62 provided the link to. Further along, bits of the old embankment were still surrounding what pillars were installed. Now more of the embankment has been torn down and the pillars and track structure appear to possibly extend as far down as maybe Berwyn from the quick glance I got to get as my final bus home passed underneath the structure. 

2 hours ago, jajuan said:

Further along, bits of the old embankment we're still surrounding what pillars were installed. Now more of the embankment has been torn down

The original drawings were that the pillars were to be piledriven through the embankment. Is that no longer the case?

2 hours ago, jajuan said:

Here's a pic I had a chance to snap at Bryn Mawr today on my way home from work of how things are looking at present with the viaduct reconstruction. They've made significant progress in the two and a half weeks since others posted picture updates.

IMG_20220516_161839272_HDR.thumb.jpg.89c609cb47db982ae67401218d1c1acf.jpg

I saw that myself this past Thursday (5/12/2022).

23 hours ago, Busjack said:

The original drawings were that the pillars were to be pile driven through the embankment. Is that no longer the case?

That's what I thought was going to happen as well, even if keeping the original embankment didn't make sense to me. When I passed by last week it seemed that some of the pillars still had the embankment surrounding them, but others were freestanding. I'm not sure if they're keeping the embankment by some pillars on a case by case basis, or if they've changed from the design and are just removing the embankment altogether, but are building the pillars before demolishing the embankment.

On 5/16/2022 at 7:36 PM, Busjack said:

The original drawings were that the pillars were to be piledriven through the embankment. Is that no longer the case?

I think some parts further down there were pillars going through old embankment, but one both sides of Bryn Mawr where there had previously been embankment, that embankment was gone and only the pillars remained. 

4 hours ago, jajuan said:

I think some parts further down there were pillars going through old embankment, but one both sides of Bryn Mawr where there had previously been embankment, that embankment was gone and only the pillars remained. 

Just guessing, it might be to leave enough room under the tracks for the stations, elevators, escalators, etc. We'll have to wait and see.