Jump to content

Red & Purple Modernization Project (RPM)


Kevin
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 10/31/2021 at 9:26 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

Pretty sure the Purple Line won’t be running that fast through the station. Sheridan probably won’t even be reconstructed with double island platforms, since Evanston-based Cubs fans can now transfer at Wilson to reach Addison.

I could be wrong but I don't think the Sheridan stop for Purple Line trains for Cub games was eliminated even with the addition of the Wilson stop.  Therefore I don't think Loyola or Wilson will make it difference so long as Sheridan is open in its current state.   Now i$ Sheridan is rebuilt by Irving Park and is built with only one island platform,  it might be a different story.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I could be wrong but I don't think the Sheridan stop for Purple Line trains for Cub games was eliminated even with the addition of the Wilson stop.  Therefore I don't think Loyola or Wilson will make it difference so long as Sheridan is open in its current state.   Now i$ Sheridan is rebuilt by Irving Park and is built with only one island platform,  it might be a different story.  

There's no longer any note of it on CTA maps, which happened after the new Wilson station opened. But, I did check the timetable, and there's still a note that Loop-bound trains stop for night games. Kind of surprised they kept that after Wilson, but like you said, we'll see if that arrangement holds up after Sheridan's reconstruction

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

There's no longer any note of it on CTA maps, which happened after the new Wilson station opened. But, I did check the timetable, and there's still a note that Loop-bound trains stop for night games. Kind of surprised they kept that after Wilson, but like you said, we'll see if that arrangement holds up after Sheridan's reconstruction

 

7 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I could be wrong but I don't think the Sheridan stop for Purple Line trains for Cub games was eliminated even with the addition of the Wilson stop.  Therefore I don't think Loyola or Wilson will make it difference so long as Sheridan is open in its current state.   Now i$ Sheridan is rebuilt by Irving Park and is built with only one island platform,  it might be a different story.  

Keeping Sheridan probably helps stops the crush loads from all piling off at Addison. Sheridan is kinda walking distance so you can hop straight off a purple after instead of cramming into a red line to Addison from Wilson 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Sam92 said:

 

Keeping Sheridan probably helps stops the crush loads from all piling off at Addison. Sheridan is kinda walking distance so you can hop straight off a purple after instead of cramming into a red line to Addison from Wilson 

Yeah, but humans are lazy. A 7-10 minute walk vs <2, I know which one is winning out more times out of 10. I agree with you, I'm only saying because Wilson now serves people, there's less of a need to keep Sheridan as a double island platform.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Yeah, but humans are lazy. A 7-10 minute walk vs <2, I know which one is winning out more times out of 10. I agree with you, I'm only saying because Wilson now serves people, there's less of a need to keep Sheridan as a double island platform.

Yeah especially with it being the next stop. Purple is basically gonna have to be an X route equivalent for the red line and be put in the subway at some point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Yeah especially with it being the next stop. Purple is basically gonna have to be an X route equivalent for the red line and be put in the subway at some point. 

Should make the "MOAR BROWN" crowd on Twitter pleased at least 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Ok, so if I’m reading this right, the rest of the project is track reconstruction, nothing major

They have to rebuild the structure, all while trains are on the track next door. . Im trying to figure out the temp track 1. Why build it if tracks 3 and 4 get fixed first. If because of a structural shift then they would need temp track 2. I can only think that maybe its a jump track this way they can take out track four and still have 4 tracks??? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

They have to rebuild the structure, all while trains are on the track next door. . Im trying to figure out the temp track 1. Why build it if tracks 3 and 4 get fixed first. If because of a structural shift then they would need temp track 2. I can only think that maybe its a jump track this way they can take out track four and still have 4 tracks??? 

It’s on one of the RPM related pages but I forgot exactly what they said.  I THINK it was built during the flyover phase because they were already doing work in that area but it’s supposed to be for easing the impact of track closures. Maybe demand is too high (or at least was projected to be too high if it wasn’t for the virus) to afford another 3 track. I don’t think they reduced frequency for red and purple for the Lawrence section

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Sam92 said:

It’s on one of the RPM related pages but I forgot exactly what they said.  I THINK it was built during the flyover phase because they were already doing work in that area but it’s supposed to be for easing the impact of track closures. Maybe demand is too high (or at least was projected to be too high if it wasn’t for the virus) to afford another 3 track. I don’t think they reduced frequency for red and purple for the Lawrence section

That does make sense. They cant have brown red and purple all sharing a track. So sounds like temp track 1 is for brown line sb only perhaps with a straight connection to belmont. (No connection to clark junction.) That would simplify a clark junction rehab. What might be kind of smart would be to keep it a straight link and only have tracks 2 and 3 use that junction, making it a crossover instead. Have the outer tracks use the one south of belmont. Now that we have a flyover we dont need a junction. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

That does make sense. They cant have brown red and purple all sharing a track. So sounds like temp track 1 is for brown line sb only perhaps with a straight connection to belmont. (No connection to clark junction.) That would simplify a clark junction rehab. What might be kind of smart would be to keep it a straight link and only have tracks 2 and 3 use that junction, making it a crossover instead. Have the outer tracks use the one south of belmont. Now that we have a flyover we dont need a junction. 

I think in that FB post they said they’re keeping it tor operational redundancy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Similar Content

    • By BusHunter
      There is an article today that talks about the brown line flyover. I'm surprised they have to demolish up to 16 houses for this? Can't they just build over the existing structure?
       
      http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140417/lakeview/ctas-belmont-station-bypass-16-lakeview-buildings-needed
    • By newport
      (starting a new thread since this topic really didn't fit under the Red-Purple Modernization thread)

      It looks like the Dan Ryan branch track project is going to roll out as someone else originally projected many weeks ago – a complete shutdown of the south branch of the Red Line from just south of Roosevelt to 95th. Subsequent to that post, I had heard that the CTA was going to offer a second option of weekend-only work for 4 years, but that the preferred plan was the complete 5-month shutdown. They had decided to present the second, weekend-only option, in order to give the appearance that they were offering the community and aldermen an option.

      Well, it now looks like the weekend-only closures option is not seriously being considered. They are going with the complete shutdown plan. The complete Dan Ryan branch shutdown will begin in spring 2013 and last through the summer.

      The details are basically as Mayfield laid out weeks ago:
      Red Line will shut down completely from south of Roosevelt station to 95th in spring 2013 The shutdown will continue for 5 months Southbound Red line trains will be rerouted to Green line tracks after stopping at Roosevelt and will serve all Green line stops to Ashland/63rd Express bus shuttles will run from Garfield Green station to 63rd, 69th, 79, 87th, and 95th Red. there will be other additional supplemental bus service
      One thing that changed since Mayfield outlined this plan is that the CTA intends to offer some free and discounted fares to some riders affected by the shutdown. This helped to ensure the support of the aldermen, at least in one office I am aware of. Not sure of the extent of these free fares. This is still under discussion. I heard possibly free shuttle buses and free fares boarding at Garfield Greenline station.

      Also, the CTA has reached out to and received the support of the Chicago Urban League (for support on hiring issues?). As I hear it, the big selling point is the number of jobs this project will create.

      This information is for your information and discussion. I have no official proof I will post, and no official sources I will identify. Doing so would probably cut off my source of info.
      .

    • By BusHunter
      Looks like they are putting a switch in from track 1 to track 2, just south of Lawrence/Red line. I guess that's part of the preliminary work that needs to be done before the project will start. Looks like they are starting at track 1 and working they're way to four, unlike both Belmont and Fullerton/Red line which was the opposite.
    • By BusHunter
      I took a few pictures of the Clark/Division station on the Red line. At street level, on Lasalle, they already have concrete staircases in place and the big hole over Division has been filled. Looks like they want to open up the street for November. At platform level, they have now opened up an area on the east side of the station and we can now see the decorative ceiling tiles they are installing. They also have one light bar installed, and the marble sheeting on the floor of the station in that section. (pictures from left to right are: Lasalle SE corner, Lasalle NE corner, station ceiling, station lightbar, station floor)




    • By sw4400
      I'm trying to follow the logic about the CTA wanting to extend the Red Line to 130th via a shared elevated embankment with a Union Pacific Freight Line. Are they saying that they will lay third rail next to existing freight tracks and share said tracks with a freight line? Initially, I thought not and that would be impossible, but when you put "share" in the context, that changes the meaning.

      If this is being read correctly, does the CTA realize what kind of delays they are in for from 95th to 130th? Freight Trains can be anywhere from 100-200 cars in length and cause "Freight Delays" on all Metra lines where Metra and Freight co-exist.

      Story
×
×
  • Create New...