Red & Purple Modernization Project (RPM)

Kevin

On 10/31/2021 at 9:26 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

Pretty sure the Purple Line won’t be running that fast through the station. Sheridan probably won’t even be reconstructed with double island platforms, since Evanston-based Cubs fans can now transfer at Wilson to reach Addison.

I could be wrong but I don't think the Sheridan stop for Purple Line trains for Cub games was eliminated even with the addition of the Wilson stop.  Therefore I don't think Loyola or Wilson will make it difference so long as Sheridan is open in its current state.   Now i$ Sheridan is rebuilt by Irving Park and is built with only one island platform,  it might be a different story.  

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I could be wrong but I don't think the Sheridan stop for Purple Line trains for Cub games was eliminated even with the addition of the Wilson stop.  Therefore I don't think Loyola or Wilson will make it difference so long as Sheridan is open in its current state.   Now i$ Sheridan is rebuilt by Irving Park and is built with only one island platform,  it might be a different story.  

There's no longer any note of it on CTA maps, which happened after the new Wilson station opened. But, I did check the timetable, and there's still a note that Loop-bound trains stop for night games. Kind of surprised they kept that after Wilson, but like you said, we'll see if that arrangement holds up after Sheridan's reconstruction

4 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

There's no longer any note of it on CTA maps, which happened after the new Wilson station opened. But, I did check the timetable, and there's still a note that Loop-bound trains stop for night games. Kind of surprised they kept that after Wilson, but like you said, we'll see if that arrangement holds up after Sheridan's reconstruction

7 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Keeping Sheridan probably helps stops the crush loads from all piling off at Addison. Sheridan is kinda walking distance so you can hop straight off a purple after instead of cramming into a red line to Addison from Wilson 

7 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Keeping Sheridan probably helps stops the crush loads from all piling off at Addison. Sheridan is kinda walking distance so you can hop straight off a purple after instead of cramming into a red line to Addison from Wilson 

Yeah, but humans are lazy. A 7-10 minute walk vs <2, I know which one is winning out more times out of 10. I agree with you, I'm only saying because Wilson now serves people, there's less of a need to keep Sheridan as a double island platform.

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Yeah, but humans are lazy. A 7-10 minute walk vs <2, I know which one is winning out more times out of 10. I agree with you, I'm only saying because Wilson now serves people, there's less of a need to keep Sheridan as a double island platform.

Yeah especially with it being the next stop. Purple is basically gonna have to be an X route equivalent for the red line and be put in the subway at some point. 

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Yeah especially with it being the next stop. Purple is basically gonna have to be an X route equivalent for the red line and be put in the subway at some point. 

Should make the "MOAR BROWN" crowd on Twitter pleased at least 🤣

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Ok, so if I’m reading this right, the rest of the project is track reconstruction, nothing major

They have to rebuild the structure, all while trains are on the track next door. . Im trying to figure out the temp track 1. Why build it if tracks 3 and 4 get fixed first. If because of a structural shift then they would need temp track 2. I can only think that maybe its a jump track this way they can take out track four and still have 4 tracks??? 

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

They have to rebuild the structure, all while trains are on the track next door. . Im trying to figure out the temp track 1. Why build it if tracks 3 and 4 get fixed first. If because of a structural shift then they would need temp track 2. I can only think that maybe its a jump track this way they can take out track four and still have 4 tracks??? 

It’s on one of the RPM related pages but I forgot exactly what they said.  I THINK it was built during the flyover phase because they were already doing work in that area but it’s supposed to be for easing the impact of track closures. Maybe demand is too high (or at least was projected to be too high if it wasn’t for the virus) to afford another 3 track. I don’t think they reduced frequency for red and purple for the Lawrence section

6 hours ago, Sam92 said:

It’s on one of the RPM related pages but I forgot exactly what they said.  I THINK it was built during the flyover phase because they were already doing work in that area but it’s supposed to be for easing the impact of track closures. Maybe demand is too high (or at least was projected to be too high if it wasn’t for the virus) to afford another 3 track. I don’t think they reduced frequency for red and purple for the Lawrence section

That does make sense. They cant have brown red and purple all sharing a track. So sounds like temp track 1 is for brown line sb only perhaps with a straight connection to belmont. (No connection to clark junction.) That would simplify a clark junction rehab. What might be kind of smart would be to keep it a straight link and only have tracks 2 and 3 use that junction, making it a crossover instead. Have the outer tracks use the one south of belmont. Now that we have a flyover we dont need a junction. 

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

That does make sense. They cant have brown red and purple all sharing a track. So sounds like temp track 1 is for brown line sb only perhaps with a straight connection to belmont. (No connection to clark junction.) That would simplify a clark junction rehab. What might be kind of smart would be to keep it a straight link and only have tracks 2 and 3 use that junction, making it a crossover instead. Have the outer tracks use the one south of belmont. Now that we have a flyover we dont need a junction. 

I think in that FB post they said they’re keeping it tor operational redundancy