Red & Purple Modernization Project (RPM)

Kevin

23 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

16 more days till kickoff here’s the official update 

•95th Bound Trains will share track with southbound purple line express trains between thorndale and sheridan 

•Howard Bound Trains will share track with northbound purple line express between sheridan and thorndale 

•at wilson the east platform will close all trains will use the 95th/Loop bound platform board southbound trains on the outer track board northbound trains on the inner track on the west platform 

—————————————————————————

•#92 Foster Buses Will be rerouted to bryn mawr red line via foster broadway to bryn mawr 

•#81 buses will be rerouted in both directions to serve wilson station via lawrence-ashland-wilson-broadway-lawrence 

So I'm confused, do they still plan on having the 146 go to Berwyn? I thought the station was closing and the street was going to experience a number of closures?

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

There's no space. Especially for what could be up to 2 artics at a time and the 84 & 92 in the available spots.

If Bryn Mawr is open to thru traffic, the 84 and 92 can stage EB on Bryn Mawr and for its WB routing, use EB Bryn Mawr  , Sheridan,  WB Hollywood,  Ridge ( for the 84) or SB Broadway (for the 92).  The 146 would use NB Sheridan,  WB Bryn Mawr to the station and stage facing west 

For SB 146 and 148 service, buses would then head north on Broadway   EB Bryn Mawr, SB Sheridan,  and EB Foster and continue their regular routes.   

If Bryn Mawr street closes. Then the 84 and 92 will have to stage NB Broadway  just north of Bryn Mawr and use Hollywood to  Ridge.  The 84 would pick up its regular route, and an exception has to be created to allow the 92 to turn south on Ridge to get to Bryn Mawr and Broadway.   Then it can proceed south to Foster..  The 146 would have to use a Lawrence,  Sheridan,  Foster,  Marine loop to get back on route.  The Berwyn station is a turnaround for the 146 and really isn't meant to be a transfer point,  so if Berwyn closes, and assuming Foster and/or Bryn Mawr street is closed, it isn’t really necessary for the 146 to terminate at Bryn Mawr station.

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

84 faces westbound while the 92 will face eastbound but wit the artics they can chill on broadway same way they do at berwyn

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

If Bryn Mawr is open to thru traffic, the 84 and 92 can stage EB on Bryn Mawr and for its WB routing, use EB Bryn Mawr  , Sheridan,  WB Hollywood,  Ridge ( for the 84) or SB Broadway (for the 92).  The 146 would use NB Sheridan,  WB Bryn Mawr to the station and stage facing west 

For SB 146 and 148 service, buses would then head north on Broadway   EB Bryn Mawr, SB Sheridan,  and EB Foster and continue their regular routes.   

If Bryn Mawr street closes. Then the 84 and 92 will have to stage NB Broadway  just north of Bryn Mawr and use Hollywood to  Ridge.  The 84 would pick up its regular route, and an exception has to be created to allow the 92 to turn south on Ridge to get to Bryn Mawr and Broadway.   Then it can proceed south to Foster..  The 146 would have to use a Lawrence,  Sheridan,  Foster,  Marine loop to get back on route.  The Berwyn station is a turnaround for the 146 and really isn't meant to be a transfer point,  so if Berwyn closes, and assuming Foster and/or Bryn Mawr street is closed, it isn’t really necessary for the 146 to terminate at Bryn Mawr station.

The 92 is staging EB, since there's no space to stage WB without removing parking, but I don't see how the artics can sit on NB broadway without cars having to turn right in front of them (I wasn't aware they sat on Bway now, Berwyn was long enough for several buses to sit there). I don't remember seeing Bryn Mawr Ave closing, so I don't think that'll be an issue. I know Berwyn is a staging location and not a transfer point for the 146, but if the street is closing like I believe it is, I'm just wondering where it's gonna go, since Bryn Mawr isn't really an option.

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The 92 is staging EB, since there's no space to stage WB without removing parking, but I don't see how the artics can sit on NB broadway without cars having to turn right in front of them (I wasn't aware they sat on Bway now, Berwyn was long enough for several buses to sit there). I don't remember seeing Bryn Mawr Ave closing, so I don't think that'll be an issue. I know Berwyn is a staging location and not a transfer point for the 146, but if the street is closing like I believe it is, I'm just wondering where it's gonna go, since Bryn Mawr isn't really an option.

Like I said before, the 146 can do a Lawrence. Sheridan. Foster,  and Marine Dr loop, and stage on Marine Dr.,  I can't remember if there's an entry NB Lake Shore Dr at Foster or a SB exit from Lake Shore Dr at Foster.  If so., that's another loop. But staging still needs to be on Marine Drive. 

On 4/30/2021 at 9:36 PM, Nova's at 103rd said:

Berwyn isn't closing which means the 146 will still terminate and begin at Berwyn & Broadway at least for now until further notice. If you wanna see go to RPM frequently asked questions and there's information on the 36, 81, 84, 92, and 146.

Screenshot_20210430-232919_(1).png

They COULD have enough layover space on Broadway, if they wanted to. 

Updated bus stops for the #81 & #92.

The #81 signs were taken at the Wilson Red Line station. Although for the dual route sign for westbound buses... Dunno how someone didn’t catch that mistake ?

#92 was taken at Foster/Damen. You can see the map shows the route going eastbound on Bryn Mawr instead of Berwyn. Although it still says it goes to Berwyn, not Bryn Mawr.

02DC80FD-A784-42A3-906B-82C057F7AEF0.jpeg

F69101BE-7011-42C1-B93D-6CA2F5A6BB03.jpeg

889CD582-9B25-4CA0-8864-B0188853DBB4.jpeg

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

Updated bus stops for the #81 & #92.

The #81 signs were taken at the Wilson Red Line station. Although for the dual route sign for westbound buses... Dunno how someone didn’t catch that mistake ?

#92 was taken at Foster/Damen. You can see the map shows the route going eastbound on Bryn Mawr instead of Berwyn. Although it still says it goes to Berwyn, not Bryn Mawr.

02DC80FD-A784-42A3-906B-82C057F7AEF0.jpeg

F69101BE-7011-42C1-B93D-6CA2F5A6BB03.jpeg

889CD582-9B25-4CA0-8864-B0188853DBB4.jpeg

I am wondering, since this will be a years-long detour, would it not make more sense to re-sign the 92? So that it'll say Bryn Mawr Red Line instead?

Agreed.  Well, at least the Lawrence 81 sign (non-dual) looks both clear and correct.  Hopefully, some stickers are on order for the other two, like "East to Bryn Mawr Red Line Station" for the 92  and "West to Jefferson Park Blue Line Station Daily, at all times" for 81 portion of the dual sign.

(Edited due to duplicative typo, "the the" irony not intended)

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I am wondering, since this will be a years-long detour, would it not make more sense to re-sign the 92? So that it'll say Bryn Mawr Red Line instead?

Perhaps, but that probably won’t happen. The  eastbound buses themselves are already announcing “Route: 92. Foster. To Bryn Mawr Red Line.”

33 minutes ago, jtrosario said:

Agreed.  Well, at least the Lawrence 81 sign (non-dual) looks both clear and correct.  Hopefully, some stickers are on order for the other two, like "East to Bryn Mawr Red Line Station" for the 92  and "West to Jefferson Park Blue Line Station Daily, at all times" for 81 portion of the dual sign.

(Edited due to duplicative typo, "the the" irony not intended)

Maybe, although they haven’t changed the westbound signs for the #157, as they still say buses run to “late evening” not early evening. 

• 3 months later...

RPM looks to be moving quickly. At the north end the structure is almost all the way demolished. Because they are working on a line not in service they can work faster. Trains seem to be moving pretty good, the only complaint I have is the red line headways are long. Like today, a Sunday, headways were like 15 minutes by the time the train came it was packed. If you rode in the rear cars it was alot less full of riders. 

20210829_153158.jpg

20210829_153154.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2021 at 6:59 PM, BusHunter said:

RPM looks to be moving quickly. At the north end the structure is almost all the way demolished. Because they are working on a line not in service they can work faster. Trains seem to be moving pretty good, the only complaint I have is the red line headways are long. Like today, a Sunday, headways were like 15 minutes by the time the train came it was packed. If you rode in the rear cars it was alot less full of riders. 

20210829_153158.jpg

20210829_153154.jpg

When they finish completing the side they removed the tracks from are they going to take down the temporary stations they’ve built at Bryn Mawr and Argyle down? once they complete the new structure on the other side to run trains on and do the same for the other side or no?

1 hour ago, NovaBusFan said:

When they finish completing the side they removed the tracks from are they going to take down the temporary stations they’ve built at Bryn Mawr and Argyle down? once they complete the new structure on the other side to run trains on and do the same for the other side or no?

My understanding is that when the east structure is rebuilt, temporary stations will be built at the same stops while the west structure,  including those temporary stations, will be torn down.  I'm guessing the new permanent stations will be built while the west structure is being rebuilt

16 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

My understanding is that when the east structure is rebuilt, temporary stations will be built at the same stops while the west structure,  including those temporary stations, will be torn down.  I'm guessing the new permanent stations will be built while the west structure is being rebuilt

Yeah I would say the center island stays but at some point that will have to be renewed. There may be a period when the station closes unless they plan to build around the construction.

Visiting the temp stops they pysched me out. Remember when I said why did they use steel at a temp stop. The paint job was so good that when you get close you can see the station is wood not steel. Just the roofing might be aluminum. 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah I would say the center island stays but at some point that will have to be renewed. There may be a period when the station closes unless they plan to build around the construction.

Visiting the temp stops they pysched me out. Remember when I said why did they use steel at a temp stop. The paint job was so good that when you get close you can see the station is wood not steel. Just the roofing might be aluminum. 

Probably a REAAAAALLY good strong coating to protect the wood from the Elements. This winter is supposed to be a doozy so it’s good they did that. Garfield just had to survive summer as a temp terminal, each temp on this project is gonna have to go through 2 winters with salt and the major summer heat plus the April rain.

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Oh ok I was trying to figure how we’re they going to do this carefully.