Red & Purple Modernization Project (RPM)

Kevin

13 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Just guessing, it might be to leave enough room under the tracks for the stations, elevators, escalators, etc. We'll have to wait and see.

Speaking of that, I am curious as to how the big the new station house with new elevators providing wheelchair accessibility will look now that we can see the new track structure will noticeably be several feet higher than the original track sitting on the old embankment. 

27 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Speaking of that, I am curious as to how the big the new station house with new elevators providing wheelchair accessibility will look now that we can see the new track structure will noticeably be several feet higher than the original track sitting on the old embankment. 

I've got the feeling that similar to Belmont and Wilson, as far as wheelchair clearances and such are concerned, although a bit smaller because they will serve only one platform instead of two.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Javi75 said:

Are the entire red and purple lines between Belmont and Linden going to be rebuilt from foundation during RPM? Were the entire Douglas blue line (pink line) and Dan Ryan red line rebuilt foundation up?

as far as i know it’s going in phases as you know lawrence to bryn mawr is first and then thorndale thru howard and then howard to linden

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

as far as i know it’s going in phases as you know lawrence to bryn mawr is first and then thorndale thru howard and then howard to linden

Several of the CTA bridges in Evanston were replaced several years ago, on long weekends.  They were built offsite & then moved into place on rolling jacks, with new abutments for support & then they rebuilt the roadbed & tracks.  The general condition of the Evanston Branch appears to be in good condition, as the ride is smooth, unlike what the Dan Ryan Line was like before its reconstruction.

I also see foundations being built at the turn that was around the Vautravers Building, which is now moved west of its former position that required that insane curve around it.  I consider the moving of that building a total waste of money, as I can't figure out why they saved it.  There was nothing historical about it, other than the curve around it.  Flattening it would've saved a million or so in the rebuilding there.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, strictures said:

Several of the CTA bridges in Evanston were replaced several years ago, on long weekends.  They were built offsite & then moved into place on rolling jacks, with new abutments for support & then they rebuilt the roadbed & tracks.  The general condition of the Evanston Branch appears to be in good condition, as the ride is smooth, unlike what the Dan Ryan Line was like before its reconstruction.

I also see foundations being built at the turn that was around the Vautravers Building, which is now moved west of its former position that required that insane curve around it.  I consider the moving of that building a total waste of money, as I can't figure out why they saved it.  There was nothing historical about it, other than the curve around it.  Flattening it would've saved a million or so in the rebuilding there.

If the building is a national historic landmark, and I believe that it is (for reasons similar to why it was relocated lol), then they didn't really have a choice

48 minutes ago, ChicagoRail said:

I think it is.

At least not Phases 1 and 2. However, the CTA site does say:

What is the estimated timeline when Purple Line stations will be renovated?

Future phases of RPM include the reconstruction of all Purple Line stations and track structures between Howard and Linden, including making all stations fully accessible. Extensive analysis, planning, public outreach, and design will be required to further develop a blueprint for implementing the Future RPM Program. Phases of the Future RPM Program will be developed through a series of studies and public outreach processes.

Maybe part of all stations accessible by 2040 program.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

If the building is a national historic landmark, and I believe that it is (for reasons similar to why it was relocated lol), then they didn't really have a choice

National historic landmark is just a designation.  The law creating it has no enforcement provisions, except to remove the designation, such as the proposals to remove Soldier Field's designation, since they added the Toilet Bowl to it! 

Vautravers wasn't a city landmark, which does prevent demolition.

As I said, a total waste of money!

19 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

5 hours ago, strictures said:

National historic landmark is just a designation.  The law creating it has no enforcement provisions, except to remove the designation, such as the proposals to remove Soldier Field's designation, since they added the Toilet Bowl to it! 

Vautravers wasn't a city landmark, which does prevent demolition.

As I said, a total waste of money!

I don't know if CTA had a choice, but obviously took the path of least resistance on that project, including buying the condo building before filing the EIS, instead of going to eminent domain.

On a related note, it appears that the website has really deemphasized phase 2.

On 10/24/2021 at 6:04 PM, Sam92 said:

Also in case anyones wondering if I’m making up this middle track at argyle lmao

11B77EC8-4BE3-43EC-8701-869380D2066F.png

The soon to be middle track between Argyle and Berwyn is a great addition to the RPM project but I wonder why a middle track wasn't added between the north end  between Addison and Grace and/or the south end between Addison and Cornelia as well? I feel it would have been better movement for emergency turn back for trains for issues between Addison and Argyle and staging trains for Loop bound Red or Brown Lines trains and add relief for Wrigley Field crowds.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, renardo870 said:

The soon to be middle track between Argyle and Berwyn is a great addition to the RPM project but I wonder why a middle track wasn't added between the north end  between Addison and Grace and/or the south end between Addison and Cornelia as well? I feel it would have been better movement for emergency turn back for trains for issues between Addison and Argyle and staging trains for Loop bound Red or Brown Lines trains and add relief for Wrigley Field crowds.

There seem to be plenty of interlockings built as part of the construction of the Belmont and Wilson stations (currently used to choke the lines down to 2 tracks) and a crossover north of Addison, that it appears that Tracks 1 and 4 could be used for staging. Otherwise, it depends on how much more on Wilton Ave. they wanted to wipe out to widen the ROW.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The Foster-Winona temporary station is being constructed now and should be open sometime this summer. Stage B of the Lawrence-Bryn Mawr Modernization will also see the closure of the Argyle and Bryn Mawr stations and the opening of a temporary southbound only station on the south side of Bryn Mawr.

If construction continues on time, these temporary stations and entrances will be replaced by the permanent ones in 2025.

Pictures:

1. Staircase and station house on the south side of Foster.

2. Side view of the Foster station house.

3. View of the Winona station house.

20230212_124301.jpg

20230212_124319.jpg

20230212_124532.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

That looks way better. I imagine the neighborhood is just going to want more parking.

Putting a bike path under the Red Line from Hollywood to Howard in the future would be a nice way to extend the Lakefront path, IMO.

I don't think that's practical

First, station houses will go under the tracks so where would the paths go ?  Second. If there is revenue potential for stores or parking underneath the tracks. I think maximizing revenue streams would be a better choice

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/14/2023 at 12:49 AM, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

proof?

On 6/14/2023 at 8:23 AM, Busjack said:

If you believe CTA, here.

Of course, you could have looked it up yourself.

And if CTA's direct word wasn't good enough, different media outlets like Block Club Chicago, different transit and rail oriented outlets, transit reporters for the larger local media outlets, etc. have been reporting for weeks that CTA has given indications that they're very close to ready to shift to Phase B construction.

2 hours ago, jajuan said:

And if CTA's direct word wasn't good enough, different media outlets like Block Club Chicago, different transit and rail oriented outlets, transit reporters for the larger local media outlets, etc. have been reporting for weeks that CTA has given indications that they're very close to ready to shift to Phase B construction.

Chicagoland Transit also had a drone video, showing it was almost done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Chicagoland Transit also had a drone video, showing it was almost done.

The video makes it quite clear that all ant of us need do these past few weeks is take a ride on the Red Line (or Purple Line Express if it were a weekday during rush hour), and we'd clearly see that they were close to making the switchover. It's especially been obvious since last month, when the new tracks at the transition from old to new structure became visible from passing trains, and late last month when platform structures for the new temporary Bryn Mawr SB only station and Foster-Winona station popped up and the outlines of the temporary station houses were erected.