Red & Purple Modernization Project (RPM)

Kevin

12 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Lawerence-Bryn Mawr along with the Belmont flyover got the contract approved and is slated to start fall 2019

The Lawrence segment is not to be completed until 2025. Ouch. Theres going to be alot of pain getting through all the detours but it needs repairs more than the far north main because for one all the key stops like Loyola and granville are already accessible. The flyover seems necessary. Dont know what it will do for the community but similar areas like 18th and state seem to be thriving so housing will come back it will just build around it. Straightening all those goofy turns north of clark jun should speed up the traffic. That will help that already congested corridor.

CTA claims that they will get eight more red line trains per hour from the flyover. 

I'm not sure if capacity will increase for Brown/Purple, as those routes are also limited by capacity problems on the Loop. The flyover will make Brown and Purple line rides slightly faster though. 

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

The Lawrence segment is not to be completed until 2025. Ouch. Theres going to be alot of pain getting through all the detours but it needs repairs more than the far north main because for one all the key stops like Loyola and granville are already accessible. The flyover seems necessary. Dont know what it will do for the community but similar areas like 18th and state seem to be thriving so housing will come back it will just build around it. Straightening all those goofy turns north of clark jun should speed up the traffic. That will help that already congested corridor.

I think your 18th & State comparison isn't valid.   When originally built,the Dan Ryan and SSM trains ran on separate tracks and didn't  cross over each other.  While eliminating Red Line conflicts, Brown and Purple conflicts continue.  

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I think your 18th & State comparison isn't valid.   When originally built,the Dan Ryan and SSM trains ran on separate tracks and didn't  cross over each other.  While eliminating Red Line conflicts, Brown and Purple conflicts continue.  

His comparison is only about property values. 18th and State area was about abandoned in about 1969. Now it is the focus of the South Loop, and a block or 2 away from the proposed Neighborhood 78.

I didn't think that the Clark Flyover would fly because the environmental statement would have to include the cost of demolishing the buildings along Wilton, including the condo, but since CTA got the money to do that by now, that's not going to be a deterrent.

10 hours ago, artthouwill said:

That's not a flyover??? I was eyeing it the other day and looking how the piers were engineered all along the sb crosswalk and thinking that it wasnt really engineered that bad. They eliminated an over the street concept which really detracts from the street itself. While it is a big structure this is the city and things like this can happen. I think overall it was built in a best taste scenario. Why should wrigleyville get special treatment. Flyovers have been built in Englewood and no one complained. Just because someone with clout might live there doesnt make it immune. Its feeding the needs of the many for years to come. We should be happy cta is doing something about it. I know south siders are still waiting for the 130th extension. They wait and wait and wait. So when is it coming? 

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

That's not a flyover??? I was eyeing it the other day and looking how the piers were engineered all along the sb crosswalk and thinking that it wasnt really engineered that bad. They eliminated an over the street concept which really detracts from the street itself. While it is a big structure this is the city and things like this can happen. I think overall it was built in a best taste scenario. Why should wrigleyville get special treatment. Flyovers have been built in Englewood and no one complained. Just because someone with clout might live there doesnt make it immune. Its feeding the needs of the many for years to come. We should be happy cta is doing something about it. I know south siders are still waiting for the 130th extension. They wait and wait and wait. So when is it coming? 

I'm not saying 18th isn't a  flyover.  Neither am I complaining about aesthetics concerning the Brown Line  flyover.  I just thought the Brown Line  flyover wasn't necessary and I don't believe CTA can add 8 train in hour during peak times because of a flyover.  A 30 second wait for a Brown Line train to pass isn't that big of a deal.  

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I just thought the Brown Line  flyover wasn't necessary and I don't believe CTA can add 8 train in hour during peak times because of a flyover.

It's undoubtedly 4 trains each way.

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

A 30 second wait for a Brown Line train to pass isn't that big of a deal.  

But with the Brown Line running every 4 to 6 minutes (10-15 trains/hour each way; I suppose only NB Brown Line is relevant) during rush hour, it adds up.

• Upvote 1

The EA claims that currently the Red Line runs 21-23 TPH (schedules show 20 TPH - every 3 mins) so increasing by eight to 30 TPH (2 mins) seems to be realistic. Once the flyover is added, the limiting factor of the Red Line will be the terminals at 95th and Howard. 

Currently the shared Brown/Purple between Belmont and the Mart is in the range of 26-27 TPH, IIRC. 

On 12/14/2018 at 5:00 AM, artthouwill said:

I'm not saying 18th isn't a  flyover.  Neither am I complaining about aesthetics concerning the Brown Line  flyover.  I just thought the Brown Line  flyover wasn't necessary and I don't believe CTA can add 8 train in hour during peak times because of a flyover.  A 30 second wait for a Brown Line train to pass isn't that big of a deal.  

The brown line flyover is alot more than just the brown line. The current config is blocking all sb and nb traffic through clark jct. So it affects all lines. Plus the curve straightening will help alot. You could conceivably have 35 -40 mph runs between addison and belmont. Plus the traffic then spirals into other delays like red line north delays which then puts up to a 3 train crowd at belmont nb. They try to hold trains back if there bunched but then that screws around with scheduling at kimball so although it may not seem like a wise thing doing the flyover, logistically it is. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yeah they are going to need to prep if they want to shut down track 1. Track 2 is going to have to take the brunt of it. Good news is that the purple line only runs in the rush. They probably should just let the trains switch over south of belmont red instead of north. Regardless though they are going to have delays. It going to be like having 2 clark junctions back to back. It will be interesting. You know if they could put a switch in north of clark jun at the 6 car mark. They could get rid of that delay for a little bit of time but they would probably want to do the whole track one at one time. Might be smarter to build the flyover first get rid of the brown and work on the structure then. Lots of planning will be needed.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pace831 said:

Sun-Times: RPM project will require Berwyn, Lawrence stations to be closed for three years.

Hmm. Still of the thought that Lawrence should be shuttered and Berwyn moved to Foster, but I'm glad to see the work is finally starting. My predictions:

• Increased service on the 36, 136, 146, 147 & 151 (possibly artics for the 36 if they can fit on Broadway)
  • 148 extended to Berwyn
  • I was going to say 84 rerouted to Thorndale but then I read that Bryn Mawr is getting a temporary station
  • 92 rerouted to Lawrence or Wilson

Or maybe they'll just run a shuttle xD

16 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Hmm. Still of the thought that Lawrence should be shuttered and Berwyn moved to Foster, but I'm glad to see the work is finally starting. My predictions:

• Increased service on the 36, 136, 146, 147 & 151 (possibly artics for the 36 if they can fit on Broadway)
  • 148 extended to Berwyn
  • I was going to say 84 rerouted to Thorndale but then I read that Bryn Mawr is getting a temporary station
  • 92 rerouted to Lawrence or Wilson

Or maybe they'll just run a shuttle xD

Maybe the new Berwyn station could have entrances at both Berwyn and Foster. The platform could be in between the two streets.

I do agree that stops on that stretch of the Red Line are too close to each other, but I always see a lot of people at all those stops, and if some (e.g. Lawrence, Argyle) get shuttered, other stations would get overcrowded. A while back I was thinking Wilson should get moved to Montrose, and Argyle, Granville, and Jarvis could get shuttered, and Sheridan would become a Red/Purple stop, but that wouldn't make sense now.

Ideally, the 92 would get rerouted to Argyle, but I don't think buses would fit there. Lawrence will be closed, and Wilson is a bit far, so it might be better if the 92 gets rerouted to Bryn Mawr.

4 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

Maybe the new Berwyn station could have entrances at both Berwyn and Foster. The platform could be in between the two streets.

I do agree that stops on that stretch of the Red Line are too close to each other, but I always see a lot of people at all those stops, and if some (e.g. Lawrence, Argyle) get shuttered, other stations would get overcrowded. A while back I was thinking Wilson should get moved to Montrose, and Argyle, Granville, and Jarvis could get shuttered, and Sheridan would become a Red/Purple stop, but that wouldn't make sense now.

Ideally, the 92 would get rerouted to Argyle, but I don't think buses would fit there. Lawrence will be closed, and Wilson is a bit far, so it might be better if the 92 gets rerouted to Bryn Mawr.

Now that you say that, it does seem strange that Berwyn has no Foster entrance. Isn't Sheridan slated for removal though once they get to straightening out that curve?

Wilson is a little bit farther, but I figured it was better since riders would get access to the purple line and other bus connections and it would also be closer to the loop

21 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Now that you say that, it does seem strange that Berwyn has no Foster entrance. Isn't Sheridan slated for removal though once they get to straightening out that curve?

Wilson is a little bit farther, but I figured it was better since riders would get access to the purple line and other bus connections and it would also be closer to the loop

CTA has said before that they want a Glenlake entrance to Granville & then would close Thorndale.  I'm guessing that once the S turn is gone, a new station will be at Irving Park.  Now that Joe Moore isn't alderman anymore, Jarvis will probably go, he was the only one pushing to keep it, his aldermanic office was next door. 

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any idea about the layout of the rebuilt station entrance will be located?

Like for Lawrence, will this station have a main entrance and an auxiliary entrance on the other side of the street and another entrance at Leland? 

Argyle - Will this station have a main entrance and an auxiliary entrance on the other side of the street and another entrance/exit at Ainslie?

Berwyn - Will the main entrance be located in the same location it is at now and a new auxiliary entrance/exit at Foster? Will a bus terminal be built since the 92 and 146 terminate @ Berwyn?

Bryn Mawr - will this station have a main entrance and an auxiliary entrance on the other side of the street and a new auxiliary entrance/exit at Hollywood? 

I know all future stations will be 100% ADA compliant and will be up to 10 cars long and wide platforms like the rebuilt Wilson/Sunnyside Station.

2 hours ago, renardo870 said:

Does anyone have any idea about the layout of the rebuilt station entrance will be located?

Like for Lawrence, will this station have a main entrance and an auxiliary entrance on the other side of the street and another entrance at Leland? 

Argyle - Will this station have a main entrance and an auxiliary entrance on the other side of the street and another entrance/exit at Ainslie?

Berwyn - Will the main entrance be located in the same location it is at now and a new auxiliary entrance/exit at Foster? Will a bus terminal be built since the 92 and 146 terminate @ Berwyn?

Bryn Mawr - will this station have a main entrance and an auxiliary entrance on the other side of the street and a new auxiliary entrance/exit at Hollywood? 

I know all future stations will be 100% ADA compliant and will be up to 10 cars long and wide platforms like the rebuilt Wilson/Sunnyside Station.

https://www.transitchicago.com/rpm/lawrmawr/

This should have what you're looking for

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...