Red & Purple Modernization Project (RPM)

Kevin

If they wanted to rebuild on existing land, I wonder why they don't explore the idea of rebuilding the RPM in a trench? is it too expensive? I would think it would be cheaper. You wouldn't have to build an embankment. It's obvious the whole structure is coming down so why not excavate a few feet more and build in a trench plant trees along the embankment and run the service similar to the yellow line on the eastern end?

Question is, what are they going to do for alternative service? I remember you said just close Broadway and let pedestrians deal with the third rail and grade crosswalks with trains speeding across them, but that's not practical. Not even bringing back the 36 streetcar.

Obviously, here they found a way (or think they have) of ending the Alternatives Analysis, and all indications are that it is by shoring up the embankment. Hence, it isn't obvious that the existing embankment is coming down, unless you have a link to some official source for that view.

The only thing that seems to be an official source is that someone thinks CTA will get money by 2017.

Question is, what are they going to do for alternative service? I remember you said just close Broadway and let pedestrians deal with the third rail and grade crosswalks with trains speeding across them, but that's not practical. Not even bringing back the 36 streetcar.

Obviously, here they found a way (or think they have) of ending the Alternatives Analysis, and all indications are that it is by shoring up the embankment. Hence, it isn't obvious that the existing embankment is coming down, unless you have a link to some official source for that view.

The only thing that seems to be an official source is that someone thinks CTA will get money by 2017.

Well if you didn't tear down the embankment it would be like a paving a street over a set of potholes and not leveling it first. You would essentially be building your structure on an unstable foundation.

As far as running trains on Broadway, I don't see how that's impractical. It sure didn't stop the Garfield Park from being moved did it? Broadway is a wide street. They couldn't get by with using two lanes for trains on a temporary basis?

Well if you didn't tear down the embankment it would be like a paving a street over a set of potholes and not leveling it first. You would essentially be building your structure on an unstable foundation.

As far as running trains on Broadway, I don't see how that's impractical. It sure didn't stop the Garfield Park from being moved did it? Broadway is a wide street. They couldn't get by with using two lanes for trains on a temporary basis?

Maybe wider north of Lawrence, but I'm sure Mariano's and Whole Foods didn't buy stores there just so access could be impeded for 4 or 6 years. This isn't like the Dan Ryan project, that track work could be completed in 5 months. Even in that instance, they used shuttle buses instead of running trains in the expressway right of way or down Lafayette Ave.

CTA released a few artist renderings of the structure as well as Bryn Mawr/Red Line from the street. Interesting, if they go over the alleys with a structure then they wouldn't be rebuilding an embankment and possibly could just tear down tracks 1,2 and run trains on 3,4 as they replace 1,2.

http://www.transitchicago.com/news_initiatives/planning/rpm/lawrmawr.aspx

CTA released a few artist renderings of the structure as well as Bryn Mawr/Red Line from the street. Interesting, if they go over the alleys with a structure then they wouldn't be rebuilding an embankment and possibly could just tear down tracks 1,2 and run trains on 3,4 as they replace 1,2.

http://www.transitchicago.com/news_initiatives/planning/rpm/lawrmawr.aspx

That could get very messy, especially (as Jack mentioned) the embankments that would run up against the west side of the tracks. If you can fit everything without problem, then great; if not, I'm sure Whole Paycheck and Jewel would have to clear house and move.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe that's where a big chunk of the $320 million is going. To straighten out the tracks north of Clark Junction, they'll have to get rid of the Vautravers Building, which is why that kink is there.

Maybe related, but part of this topic, is that to have a staging area for the Bryn Mawr station, DNAinfo has a story (link on the home page) that CTA intends to condemn a car dealership and Public Storage for a staging area, not that it is actually needed for the station footprint.

I might have mentioned before that it was one thing to take 2 gas stations, 2 beauty parlors and a hot dog stand for a staging area for the 95th terminal, but you are talking big money for a similar temporary use of land on the north side. If nothing else, CTA is going to have to buy Loquercio a new dealership. It also appears that CTA intends to buy out and would have to relocate a strip mall in Little Saigon to have a staging area for what is IMO a totally unnecessary Argyle station.

Maybe related, but part of this topic, is that to have a staging area for the Bryn Mawr station, DNAinfo has a story (link on the home page) that CTA intends to condemn a car dealership and Public Storage for a staging area, not that it is actually needed for the station footprint.

I might have mentioned before that it was one thing to take 2 gas stations, 2 beauty parlors and a hot dog stand for a staging area for the 95th terminal, but you are talking big money for a similar temporary use of land on the north side. If nothing else, CTA is going to have to buy Loquercio a new dealership. It also appears that CTA intends to buy out and would have to relocate a strip mall in Little Saigon to have a staging area for what is IMO a totally unnecessary Argyle station.

There's no reason for Argyle to exist if Lawrence is staying. Just move the entire Lawrence platform to be north of Lawrence Ave., give it an exit/entrance at Ainslie, then it's just a one block walk to the station.

Since they have to rebuild all the bridges north of Lawrence anyways, they're 92 years old & the concrete in crumbling, rebuild the bridges at Argyle with stores underneath, which would help the neighborhood & bring in some rent to the CTA, unless they sign 99 year leases at 1960 rates.

Since they have to rebuild all the bridges north of Lawrence anyways, they're 92 years old & the concrete in crumbling, rebuild the bridges at Argyle with stores underneath, which would help the neighborhood & bring in some rent to the CTA, unless they sign 99 year leases at 1960 rates.

The question is what they did in last year's project, including rebuilding storefronts under the bridges.

Sure, that was supposed to be a temporary fix, but so temporary as to have spent $80 some million for a half-year lifespan?

• 2 months later...

On the Lawrence to Bryn Mawr Modernization project, in order to best serve the 92 Foster bus route and the busy street, the Berwyn station's main entrance should be relocated to Foster with the station name changed and its current entrance made into an auxiliary entrance.

In Rogers Park, the Jarvis and Morse stations should be consolidated at Touhy (or just have Touhy replace Jarvis, change the Morse station's name to Lunt, and switch Morse's main and auxiliary entrances around.)

What do you all think of these ideas?

On the Lawrence to Bryn Mawr Modernization project, in order to best serve the 92 Foster bus route and the busy street, the Berwyn station's main entrance should be relocated to Foster with the station name changed and its current entrance made into an auxiliary entrance.

In Rogers Park, the Jarvis and Morse stations should be consolidated at Touhy (or just have Touhy replace Jarvis, change the Morse station's name to Lunt, and switch Morse's main and auxiliary entrances around.)

What do you all think of these ideas?

• There is already an adequate bus layover point for 92 and 146 at Berwyn. Since at least the 92 bus would have to loop, all you would be doing is imposing the cost of constructing a layover point on Foster.
  • Morse is "downtown Rogers Park." Jarvis is questionable, but since Ald, Joe Moore organized a protest over the threat of closing it when that was mentioned as the first part of the Alternatives Analysis, you won't get away with it politically, In any event, there isn't any bus running up Touhy near the L.

A station every 3 blocks might not make sense, but just assuming the grid doesn't either. I bet you are another one clamoring for a Pratt bus.

• There is already an adequate bus layover point for 92 and 146 at Berwyn. Since at least the 92 bus would have to loop, all you would be doing is imposing the cost of constructing a layover point on Foster.
  • Morse is "downtown Rogers Park." Jarvis is questionable, but since Ald, Joe Moore organized a protest over the threat of closing it when that was mentioned as the first part of the Alternatives Analysis, you won't get away with it politically, In any event, there isn't any bus running up Touhy near the L.

A station every 3 blocks might not make sense, but just assuming the grid doesn't either. I bet you are another one clamoring for a Pratt bus.</p>

Touhy has Pace bus route 290 that goes to the Howard station and could get rerouted to a Touhy station, and Jarvis has no buses at all.

Touhy has Pace bus route 290 that goes to the Howard station and could get rerouted to a Touhy station, and Jarvis has no buses at all.

But is there any point to that? There is a multimodal terminal at Howard, where 290 riders can transfer to other buses,as well as to the L. Also, I don't believer that Touhy is wide enough to accept a bus east of Rogers/Ridge.

In the meantime, if you have the means of purging Joe Moore from the body politic, I would like to hear that.

But is there any point to that? There is a multimodal terminal at Howard, where 290 riders can transfer to other buses,as well as to the L. Also, I don't believer that Touhy is wide enough to accept a bus east of Rogers/Ridge.

In the meantime, if you have the means of purging Joe Moore from the body politic, I would like to hear that.

The point, I mean, is maybe the 290 has enough ridership to justify a Touhy station.

But since you don't think Touhy is wide enough, maybe it could go to the Jarvis station if it stays open.

And if Jarvis closes, it could go to the Morse station because that's closer than Howard.

Or if you think it should stay the way it is, that's cool because Howard is the one that serves all 3 of the Red, Purple, and Yellow Lines.

Touhy is wide enough as PACE has rerouted the 290 several times down Clark & then west on Touhy, during construction on Rogers.

But a station at Touhy is just nuts, all there is there are some houses. Morse is fine, but eventually CTA will gets the balls to close Jarvis.

As for Moore, he almost lost the last election, but he put in a couple of phony challengers who then supported him the runoff as they were his buddies. This time, I think he's going to have a much harder time, as the redrawing of the ward boundaries brought in a lot of Moore haters who used to be in the surrounding wards & aren't happy to be stuck with him & his total non-responsiveness to their problems.

Or if you think it should stay the way it is, that's cool because Howard is the one that serves all 3 of the Red, Purple, and Yellow Lines.

As I noted above, and you seem to ignore, it also provides transfers to 7 bus lines. What benefit would there be to disconnecting that, plus, as you noted, disconnecting direct connections to 2 L lines?

Note: Since this is not your fantasy thread, the Community Guidelines at least used to require some justification in the sense of traffic generators. You don't have that justification here, and in this case, your proposal has serious detriments.

• 5 weeks later...

I was just looking at Google Maps, and it looks like it would be extremely logical to move the northern terminus of the Red Line to Davis station, and to run the Purple Line trains between Linden and Davis.

I get the feeling that such an idea would probably be overlooked, however.

I was just looking at Google Maps, and it looks like it would be extremely logical to move the northern terminus of the Red Line to Davis station, and to run the Purple Line trains between Linden and Davis.

Stations at Main and Dempster are too small and the platforms too broken down. No turnaround at Davis; there is one at Howard. The yard is at Howard. Certainly no place at Davis to berth two lines, compared to the double and long platforms at Howard.

Surprisingly, the slow zones are gone, but there are still crumbling bridges.

Finally, Evanston isn't what it once was, but still wouldn't appreciate the extra noise plus city people having easier access.

When i was on the #36 the other day in uptown I noticed they have road closed signs up for SB Broadway at lawrence and they have printed up signs at the bus stops explaining something. Maybe they are finally getting ready to start the Wilson station rehab?

Hard to say what that might be for. The only thing the website has on the #36 for reroutes is the one downtown for Saturdays until October for that annual farmer's market that's in the vicinity of Clark and Division from late spring till about mid-fall and one for a reroute of the route onto Sheridan between Hollywood and Granville because of the Edgewater area's new EdgeFest that been given the first weekend of August the past couple of years. Nothing up current or upcoming for the 36 near Lawrence.

I'm sorry if it was posted somewhere and I didn't see but does anyone know if RPM includes extending the purple line stations to 8 cars

The only thing said about the Evanston portion is to fix it.

Pretty much not of anything has been said about the Chicago portion other than alternatives other than rebuilding it in place with either an embankment or an elevated structure, and that all existing stations would be made accessible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

According to this article here they state that the RPM is going to get started this month? Is that correct? :huh: Or is that just the design aspect or is the Wilson/Red line rehab which is starting within the month considered as part of this. They mention the brown line flyover is part of this project. That's ready to proceed? It says the whole project up to Bryn Mawr will be done by 2016? :huh: Thanks for confusing me Chicago Tribune. BTW, this is going to be a subscriber article probably tomorrow 9/20 so I pasted the article below the link if you want to read it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/hinsdale-clarendon-hills-oak-brook/community/chi-ugc-article-ccs-international-inc-awarded-cta-north-red-2014-09-18-story.html

From the community: CCS International, Inc. awarded CTA North Red and Purple Line Modernization
By Community Contributor monica71,

Oakbrook Terrace, IL - CCS International, Inc. was recently awarded cost

management responsibilities for phase 1 of the $1.3 - 1.7 billion
Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) North Red & Purple Line
Modernization (RPM) project. Throughout the design process, CCS will
work with the design team and the CTA to ensure that the anticipated
work stays within the initial project budget. "This project will
continue the extensive improvements that the CTA have undertaken during
the past several years. CCS are proud to, yet again, be part of another
exciting and significant project for the CTA", said Clive Bransby,
Principal, CCS International, Inc. The cost and project management
consultancy will continue to monitor the costs against schedule and
design milestones and make any necessary modifications to manage the
project's costs. Scheduled to get underway in September, the full RPM corridor

extends from just north of Belmont Station (Clark Junction) to Linden Station in Wilmette,
Illinois. Ranging from rail repair and realignment to complete
reconstruction, RPM's improvements will significantly reduce travel
times while bringing some of the infrastructure that was built between
1900 and 1922 into a state of good repair.

The project consists of two distinct elements, the Red-Purple Bypass
Project and the Lawrence to Bryn Mawr Modernization Project. The
Red-Purple Bypass will construct a fifth track bypass flyover
immediately north of the CTA Belmont station. This bypass flyover will
separate and improve service on the northbound Brown Line trains that
currently share track with southbound Purple line trains. The Lawrence
to Bryn Mawr Modernization will replace approximately 1.3 miles of
existing rail line. Four stations along this corridor (Lawrence, Argyle,
Berwyn and Bryn Mawr) will be expanded, modernized, and made ADA
accessible, addressing a current two-mile stretch of the CTA train line
that is not accessible to riders with disabilities.

The development phase of the project has a two-year time limit ending
November 15, 2015, and the entire project is expected to be completed by

CCS is a best-in-class capital project management and cost management services firm, exceeding expectations since 1979. We are trusted lifelong partners and advisors who embrace our client's values to personally represent their interests and ensure their success.
CCS makes a good project an exceptionally better one. CCS' corporate
headquarters is located in Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois with branch
offices in Bethesda, Maryland; Durham, North Carolina; Houston, Texas;
and the United Kingdom.

According to this article here they state that the RPM is going to get started this month? Is that correct? :huh: Or is that just the design aspect or is the Wilson/Red line rehab which is starting within the month considered as part of this. ...

First, I had clicked on it on the home page. It is not a news story. Since the suburban hyperlocal newspapers don't have enough news to get them out of the category of shopping papers, they have "community posts" or the like, which are just press releases. TribLocal is no different than the Sun Times/Pioneer Press, 22nd Century Media, the Patch, and any of the myriad other useless local papers in this regard.*

The last paragraph (1) tells you it is a press release, because that is what every corporation does at the end of its press releases (especially with the "best in class") and (2) that they were only hired as beancounters. If there ever is a project and it goes over budget, blame them.

________

*At least the story had a link describing who community contributors are.

Although I would have selfishly appreciated the Red Line terminating at Davis when I lived near the Dempster station, Evanston has neither the ridership, the infrastructure, nor the desire to support the Red Line being extended to Davis. As Busjack pointed out, Howard has seven connecting bus lines, a Park and Ride, and a huge station that can accommodate the Red, Yellow, and Purple line trains. In order for Davis to handle Red and Purple trains, the station would require a rebuild and would probably not fit within the available space. The platforms south of Davis will not accommodate eight car trains and I doubt Evanstonians would like eight car trains rumbling through town every couple of minutes. Not having lived there for 14 years, I have to take Busjack at his word that Evanston isn't as militant as it once was, but I can't believe the community who protested the opening of a third Starbucks would sit idly by while the Red Line was shoved through the middle of town.

• Upvote 1