Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

3 hours ago, dailycommuter62 said:

Saw this badge on ebay anyone know what the F stands for? I've seen the L (loaner) badges but never a F badge

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.25d306e1da5163ed5076388690b90ee2.jpg

The first letter or number should indicate the garage that driver was assigned to.  F would stand for Forest Glen.  L would've stood for Limits Garage, which used to be located at 2664 N Clark.  5 used to be the former 52nd/Cottage Grove garage, but now might be used for the Chicago Avenue garage  The garage  stickers say C, the run numbers start with 5, but I hadn't paid attention to those driver badges. Also, I don't know what happens when a driver switches garages.

7 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The first letter or number should indicate the garage that driver was assigned to.  F would stand for Forest Glen.  L would've stood for Limits Garage, which used to be located at 2664 N Clark.  5 used to be the former 52nd/Cottage Grove garage, but now might be used for the Chicago Avenue garage  The garage  stickers say C, the run numbers start with 5, but I hadn't paid attention to those driver badges. Also, I don't know what happens when a driver switches garages.

So the seniority system would be by a garage basis because there would be no way to tell if an operator from another garage that transferred had more seniority. Being your entire career is tracked by your badge having a changing badge number would sound confusing. 

15 hours ago, BusHunter said:

So the seniority system would be by a garage basis because there would be no way to tell if an operator from another garage that transferred had more seniority. Being your entire career is tracked by your badge having a changing badge number would sound confusing. 

I'm curious, would the system function without seniority? What's the current benefit of the system? Is there a better one that could be implemented?

11 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I'm curious, would the system function without seniority? What's the current benefit of the system? Is there a better one that could be implemented?

The main advantage of seniority systems, which are typically associated with unionized workplaces, is to standardize criteria for work assignments, pay, promotions, etc. This supposedly reduces the influence of unfair biases and politics among management. Without seniority rule, managers would have more discretion to assign work, and there'd be more of a burden on individual employees to negotiate changes.  Both systems have pros and cons, so which one is "better" ultimately depends on your own preferences.

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2020 at 7:20 AM, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah, it is rare to see blocks runs split between two streets, a majority if not all of them stay on the same street for the duration. I know one operator has a block run on cottage during the week and he's basically my relief after I get done with my tripper and sadly he's been getting shortchanged for his fallback only having less than an hour due to long reroute we've had on the south end of cottage which still boggles my mind but that's another story for another day. Now if we want to get technical these dang AM/PM swing shifts feel like block runs even though the actual driving time is roughly six odd hours. Those are the worst because they take up a majority of your day, sometimes its nice to have a 4 or 5 hours pause but after a while it just drags, I like going straight through my runs which is why I avoided them for the fall pick. I'll do trippers throughout the week over swings.

Ahh so sounds like block runs provide the backbone of the all day base service while everything else targets the heavy times ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

Ahh so sounds like block runs provide the backbone of the all day base service while everything else targets the heavy times ?

Yeah pretty much, 9 1/2 to 10 hour block runs are usually early morning runs that transition into mid afternoon to late evening block runs depending on the street. Then you have the part time runs ranging from 2 to 8 hours that supply the extra help needed while you have the regular runs as your base fillets as I call them to maintain a decent headway intervals for the day. 

52 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah pretty much, 9 1/2 to 10 hour block runs are usually early morning runs that transition into mid afternoon to late evening block runs depending on the street. Then you have the part time runs ranging from 2 to 8 hours that supply the extra help needed while you have the regular runs as your base fillets as I call them to maintain a decent headway intervals for the day. 

When I started there were no block runs and part/time runs. They were much like the trains are now.

23 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Base fillets? Now I got a taste for some steak or some fish thanks lmao but I get it lmao

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, sht6131 said:

When I started there were no block runs and part/time runs. They were much like the trains are now.

Seems like Cta wasn’t as heavy on short turns and pull-ins/pull-outs targeting the crowds back then so that makes sense. Trains have no choice but to go the full route due to use having lack of places to turn around early 

40 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Seems like Cta wasn’t as heavy on short turns and pull-ins/pull-outs targeting the crowds back then so that makes sense. Trains have no choice but to go the full route due to use having lack of places to turn around early 

If I remember Chicago Service Lines had 3 groups of run numbers. In numerical order first group am runs, second group splits and third group pm`s not counting the extra board. The night car runs usually immediately followed the last pm. run. 

22 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Whats up with 1530 I see 6 got it on legal hold

Dang I was just wondering about this bus, I haven't see it in a long time. It's one of the original transmission buses. My best bet is someone maybe a fall on board the bus or maybe some sort of petty crime happened here. 

5 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Dang I was just wondering about this bus, I haven't see it in a long time. It's one of the original transmission buses. My best bet is someone maybe a fall on board the bus or maybe some sort of petty crime happened here. 

Probably so I aint get a look of the driver side to see so I was just wondering

For the first time in years it seems, 74th has finally put a sizeable group of #1000's back on Ashland today. I haven't seen this many in years dating back to 2015 when 74th still had a few #6800's still roaming around out there along with the #8000's.

1418 9: AshlandN9 -6966 (74th)

1455 9: Ashland9 -6126 (74th)

1470 9: Ashland9 -6156 (74th)

1479 9: Ashland9 -6216 (74th)

1523 9: Ashland9 -6036 (74th)

1526 9: Ashland9 -6046 (74th)

1578 9: AshlandX9 -6046 (74th)

22 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Did 6692 get knocked off & put in the vineyard to rot or did it become a training bus 

#6692 has been in the boneyard since the mid summer.

50158268541_ec67f6c9c9_o.jpg

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

For the first time in years it seems, 74th has finally put a sizeable group of #1000's back on Ashland today. I haven't seen this many in years dating back to 2015 when 74th still had a few #6800's still roaming around out there along with the #8000's.

finally

So ha CTA given up on TSP on Ashland or have they installed it on the New Flyers?  TSP was the reason Ashland was so Nova dominant.

Aw ok I thought that might have been it but wouldnt see the number due to the gaurd rail from street view well I see 1 of my favorite noavs are knocked off

3 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

So ha CTA given up on TSP on Ashland or have they installed it on the New Flyers?  TSP was the reason Ashland was so Nova dominant.

I'm not sure because this is the first time i've seen any #1000's other than #1430 on Ashland which I thought had the same setup as the #8000's did in regards to TSP. TSP has sort of been a failed system in my opinion when it comes to the #8000's. I haven't seen much of a difference with the traffic signals pattern cycles. 

2 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Aw ok I thought that might have been it but wouldnt see the number due to the gaurd rail from street view well I see 1 of my favorite noavs are knocked off

#6692 was in and out the shops for several months before going back there this past summer. I recently saw one #6400s in the heavy maintenance shop I couldn't get the exact number though. One quick note though, I did see a few #4300's getting rehabbed, new entire front ends were waiting to be assembled along with many other exterior parts.

5 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

I'm not sure because this is the first time i've seen any #1000's other than #1430 on Ashland which I thought had the same setup as the #8000's did in regards to TSP. TSP has sort of been a failed system in my opinion when it comes to the #8000's. I haven't seen much of a difference with the traffic signals pattern cycles. 

It might be the city not installing the software or hardware along Ashland.  As you noted, there hasn't been any evidence of TSP working.  Maybe 74th finally caught on.