Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

8 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

#800's Boneyard (Retired) list as of 12/20/20

#800,#802,#803,#804,#805,#807,#808,#809

#900's Boneyard (Retired) list as of 12/20/20

Aw ok cuz 804 is on the right side of the pic right up front couldnt tell those numbers pass 1821 & that bus must have had major frame damage

On 12/24/2020 at 7:50 AM, Sam92 said:

Eh. The Michigan and lasalle exp designations are to show “is this bus taking me from marine to Michigan or marine to financial district?” and since foster to Delaware is an exclusive express zone to the 147 (compared to 135/146 both leaving Belmont and lake shore but serving different downtown markets or 134/143 bringing Stockton riders to their respective markets) doesn’t really need one. Jeffery is a historical holdover since Jeffery exp and Jeffery local always was how we knew only difference being the local runs all day compared to the days as the 6 local when it only ran before and after sunrise 

On 12/24/2020 at 12:34 PM, artthouwill said:

I get you and I would choose the 146 Inner Drive Express.  The 146 and 147 have always been Michigan Avenue Expresses and everyone up north should know that.  All of the LaSalle expresses are cleanly designated that way.  The 151s aren't marked Michigan because everyone knows it goes down Michigan Avenue and the 156 is the LaSalle bus.  The only reason 134 and 143 have LaSalle and Michigan designations is that both routes were created new at the same time in 2003, and with no history, had to be differentiated.

As for the 15, no changes are necessary.  Jeffery service has always served Hyde Park, from the pre 1973 5 Jeffery (which used to go downrown) to the 6 Jeffery Express and now the 15 Jeffery Local,  it is evident that that route serves Hyde Park.

On 12/24/2020 at 11:11 PM, MetroShadow said:

Remember too that 6 and 14 swapped names with the 2003 restructuring (6, 14, and 26) with different markets. 

No historical marker for the 26, but at least that and the J/14 can now jump on LSD. Jackson Park 6 is basically a local zone. 

15, like the 28 local is to differentiate express and local (without making the nomenclature too difficult).

Getting history lessons is always my favorite part of this forum, thank you all!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Going to be interesting to see what happens to downtown post pandemic. The world has changed alot like 911 changed air travel. Will the high rise office building regain its occupancy or will we live in a world of work at home at least for the office workers?

I’ve been looking at that too. A few of my customers said that it might be permanent 

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Going to be interesting to see what happens to downtown post pandemic. The world has changed alot like 911 changed air travel. Will the high rise office building regain its occupancy or will we live in a world of work at home at least for the office workers?

Some, if not most of that office may become residential or hotel.  There is a faint possibility of attracting a company to relocate its headquarters here.  The future looks very interesting 

• Upvote 1

On 12/21/2020 at 1:32 PM, dailycommuter62 said:

I found this photo collection of CTA stuff from the 80-90s, fishbowls, TMC, flxs, MANs, work buses, bus lockers from the Northwestern University library, reminds me of the late mbeneros photos with the quality. A lot of cool stuff like:

A cut in half fishbowl

6000 flxible with a paper sign covering up the front flipdot

A 7000 MAN with a experimental paint scheme i've never seen before

9800 Flyer with a flip dot sign

Brand new 5300 prototype

4000 Americana with a newer type flip dot

Thanks for posting the link. Lots of cool pics.

18 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Some, if not most of that office may become residential or hotel.  There is a faint possibility of attracting a company to relocate its headquarters here.  The future looks very interesting 

Yeah at least it is an attractive part of town. I dont see why changing it to residential could hurt it. The looting downtown has really hurt the image of being downtown, but it basically is a crime of opportunity and much opportunity was there when the streets are barren of people. This will greatly affect the cta because the cta's ridership is mostly from downtown, but its service can change, but people like Metra are more in dire shape because they have their entire infrastructure based on downtown ridership. The only way for them to make it is equalize the fares between them and cta hoping to attract riders. We are getting close to a driverless car society, and that opens up the doors for anyone to use a car from kids, to the blind or elderly. So the future will be different. Maybe cta could even go into the car fleet business. If it is automated expenses would be low. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah at least it is an attractive part of town. I dont see why changing it to residential could hurt it. The looting downtown has really hurt the image of being downtown, but it basically is a crime of opportunity and much opportunity was there when the streets are barren of people. This will greatly affect the cta because the cta's ridership is mostly from downtown, but its service can change, but people like Metra are more in dire shape because they have their entire infrastructure based on downtown ridership. The only way for them to make it is equalize the fares between them and cta hoping to attract riders. We are getting close to a driverless car society, and that opens up the doors for anyone to use a car from kids, to the blind or elderly. So the future will be different. Maybe cta could even go into the car fleet business. If it is automated expenses would be low. 

Lol downtown got all the good stuff if you wanna do tear thngs up go tear up the part that the city care about thats downtown  down tear up your own hood the city dont care about the hoods

32 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Lol downtown got all the good stuff if you wanna do tear thngs up go tear up the part that the city care about thats downtown  down tear up your own hood the city dont care about the hoods

Before the pandemic,  downtown was bringing in the revenue to support the hoods. When downtown suffers, the entire city suffers.  Its not that I do care about my hands and feet, but they wont work if my heart fails.

4 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Before the pandemic,  downtown was bringing in the revenue to support the hoods. When downtown suffers, the entire city suffers.  Its not that I do care about my hands and feet, but they wont work if my heart fails.

Aw I just know we do for our own like the city helped downtown rebuild twice not 1 store innthe hood they help rebuild js saying aw dam I got off topic

2021-2025 capital budget has been released. Some noteworthy tidbits in the Bus & Rolling Stock section include 5000-series "basic overhaul" beginning mid 2021, Flyers recieving rehabs, a 100-bus base order contract being awarded and deliveries expected late 2021, and more.

Screenshot_20210102-114124_Drive.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WCR said:

2021-2025 capital budget has been released. Some noteworthy tidbits in the Bus & Rolling Stock section include 5000-series "basic overhaul" beginning mid 2021, Flyers recieving rehabs, a 100-bus base order contract being awarded and deliveries expected late 2021, and more.

Screenshot_20210102-114124_Drive.jpg

Oh no. We have to wait until Oct 2021 to see some electric buses on the streets of chicago. This order has been going on for 3 years by then. When is the 2nd order coming? By the sounds of it, I wonder if there is a 2nd order. Sounds like they will announce soon who won the bus award from last year. 

On the rail side, hopefully they have 50-60 cars they can spare cause theyll need them to do the 5000 rehabs. Too bad they wouldnt consider a seating change arrangement even if it's just a few seats. Those seats make a nice long bench for the homeless. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/27/2020 at 2:51 PM, Shannoncvpi said:

Aw I just know we do for our own like the city helped downtown rebuild twice not 1 store innthe hood they help rebuild js saying aw dam I got off topic

You're right though. Lack of investment in the hood is a failure of governance. And I think the last decade (Great Recession notwithstanding) has made things worse.