Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

14 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

ay bro if u drive fast like a lot of operators do lemme hop on ur bus real quick???? i hate these slow drivers it annoys me especially when they know damn well they late they still drive slow like they need they foot glued to the pedal?

I agree with you i like fast drivers but I do not want drivers that go super fast. Yesterday in 6770, the driver managed to not pass 3rd gear from Harlem Gren line to Harlem and Diversey and then after Diversey he started to finally speed up and passed 4th gear. Then I got on 6854 and we were real slow because there was lots of traffic after a car accident on Harlem Avenue near the HIP mall. After we got out of the traffic this driver was going fast as well we got 4th several times after Grand Avenue heading back to Green Line. Good fast drivers but the slowest one I would say was the one from 8240 in early November while the fastest which was speeding was the one from 1394 in October.

20 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

I agree with you i like fast drivers but I do not want drivers that go super fast. Yesterday in 6770, the driver managed to not pass 3rd gear from Harlem Gren line to Harlem and Diversey and then after Diversey he started to finally speed up and passed 4th gear. Then I got on 6854 and we were real slow because there was lots of traffic after a car accident on Harlem Avenue near the HIP mall. After we got out of the traffic this driver was going fast as well we got 4th several times after Grand Avenue heading back to Green Line. Good fast drivers but the slowest one I would say was the one from 8240 in early November while the fastest which was speeding was the one from 1394 in October.

if drivers have a flyer u know damn well they gonna speed?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

if drivers have a flyer u know damn well they gonna speed?

Well the 1049 driver I got in August wasn't so fast we got 5th gear just one on Harlem between Division and North Ave. going NB while going to Lawrence from Green Line but at least Your Flyer 1009 I rode in November was going fast and speeding LOL

5 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Oh I never rode the 81 but yeah I would love to do a fast ride on the 81 lol. I rode the 147 a lot years ago and I loved the drivers speeding on LSD.

Most buses have a governor so you cant speed on the highway. My bus doesnt do more than 62. Sometimes if your lucky you'll find an old bus that the governor was removed. Had a bus one day doing 70. By me if you exceed the speed limit by 6 mph or greater a report is generated that goes to your road managers office and they claim it goes to regional office. They dont really frown on you for speeding as long as the duration of the speed is not excessive. I just wonder how the bus knows the speed limit. One day I got called in the office for speeding on I-90 down around the downtown area and I'm like wth I'm doing 55. But the speed limit down there is 45, some of the slowest speed limits on the expy. You live and you learn. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Most buses have a governor so you cant speed on the highway. My bus doesnt do more than 62. Sometimes if your lucky you'll find an old bus that the governor was removed. Had a bus one day doing 70. By me if you exceed the speed limit by 6 mph or greater a report is generated that goes to your road managers office and they claim it goes to regional office. They dont really frown on you for speeding as long as the duration of the speed is not excessive. I just wonder how the bus knows the speed limit. One day I got called in the office for speeding on I-90 down around the downtown area and I'm like wth I'm doing 55. But the speed limit down there is 45, some of the slowest speed limits on the expy. You live and you learn. 

Computer software.   Insurance companies give discounts to fleet operators that have these software programs installed.  That includes cameras, GPS AND computer programs that monitor speed, following distance. Idling, etc.  These things monitor behaviors that might lead to accidents.  Insurance companies can decide if certain drivers are higher risk or ininsurable.

As an acting safety director, I uses to receive information daily.  I knew if a driver made contact with something even if he didn't report it.  I would get video of a driver if he slammed on his brakes.

• Thanks 1

I wonder if the software can adjust to changing speed limits like LSD speed limit changes. I was surprised one day to discover the speed limit on north LSD is 40 where on south it's 45. What you describe sounds like what I encounter. We are graded on Idling, braking, accelerating, overall comfort of the ride, are you being pinned in your seat on a turn etc. My scores were lower at first because I was doing excessive idling, since I changed that I'm around a 4.4 out of a 5 grade scale. My braking is 5.0 probably because my driving style gives excessive following space. That one thing keeps you out of trouble cause you have excessive reaction time. That's probably why I'm accident free so far.

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

ay bro if u drive fast like a lot of operators do lemme hop on ur bus real quick???? i hate these slow drivers it annoys me especially when they know damn well they late they still drive slow like they need they foot glued to the pedal?

Ikr sometimes I even leave the end of the line late to keep from being early like when I do the 7 or 126 I be leaving central or austin late cuz I know imma be early before I even get to kedize but shit when I am late late or only going to kedize ending my run I be floating it 

11 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I wonder if the software can adjust to changing speed limits like LSD speed limit changes. I was surprised one day to discover the speed limit on north LSD is 40 where on south it's 45. What you describe sounds like what I encounter. We are graded on Idling, braking, accelerating, overall comfort of the ride, are you being pinned in your seat on a turn etc. My scores were lower at first because I was doing excessive idling, since I changed that I'm around a 4.4 out of a 5 grade scale. My braking is 5.0 probably because my driving style gives excessive following space. That one thing keeps you out of trouble cause you have excessive reaction time. That's probably why I'm accident free so far.

Aw her in my personal car I be doing 70+ on LSD I've been on there at night were I ran up to 120 & in a bus I did 70 on there 

I found this photo collection of CTA stuff from the 80-90s, fishbowls, TMC, flxs, MANs, work buses, bus lockers from the Northwestern University library, reminds me of the late mbeneros photos with the quality. A lot of cool stuff like:

A cut in half fishbowl

6000 flxible with a paper sign covering up the front flipdot

A 7000 MAN with a experimental paint scheme i've never seen before

9800 Flyer with a flip dot sign

Brand new 5300 prototype

4000 Americana with a newer type flip dot

Seems like this bus was out for a majority of the day yesterday this was my follower to my surprise and it shocked me ?.I was like what are you doing here? I've been waiting to see it on other routes now especially with the charging stations nearly complete at Navy pier. I would love to see it on the Hyde Park Express.

20201221_180208.jpg

20201221_180212.jpg

On 12/21/2020 at 2:32 PM, dailycommuter62 said:

I found this photo collection of CTA stuff from the 80-90s, fishbowls, TMC, flxs, MANs, work buses, bus lockers from the Northwestern University library, reminds me of the late mbeneros photos with the quality. A lot of cool stuff like:

A cut in half fishbowl

6000 flxible with a paper sign covering up the front flipdot

A 7000 MAN with a experimental paint scheme i've never seen before

9800 Flyer with a flip dot sign

Brand new 5300 prototype

4000 Americana with a newer type flip dot

Dam I aint know the 20 use to run out of K

5 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Just thought about this, but I need the either the 146 to just be the Inner Drive Express or the 147 to be the Outer Drive/Michigan Exp. Also, once again, the 15 needs to the Jeffery-Hyde Park

Eh. The Michigan and lasalle exp designations are to show “is this bus taking me from marine to Michigan or marine to financial district?” and since foster to Delaware is an exclusive express zone to the 147 (compared to 135/146 both leaving Belmont and lake shore but serving different downtown markets or 134/143 bringing Stockton riders to their respective markets) doesn’t really need one. Jeffery is a historical holdover since Jeffery exp and Jeffery local always was how we knew only difference being the local runs all day compared to the days as the 6 local when it only ran before and after sunrise 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Just thought about this, but I need the either the 146 to just be the Inner Drive Express or the 147 to be the Outer Drive/Michigan Exp. Also, once again, the 15 needs to the Jeffery-Hyde Park

I get you and I would choose the 146 Inner Drive Express.  The 146 and 147 have always been Michigan Avenue Expresses and everyone up north should know that.  All of the LaSalle expresses are cleanly designated that way.  The 151s aren't marked Michigan because everyone knows it goes down Michigan Avenue and the 156 is the LaSalle bus.  The only reason 134 and 143 have LaSalle and Michigan designations is that both routes were created new at the same time in 2003, and with no history, had to be differentiated.

As for the 15, no changes are necessary.  Jeffery service has always served Hyde Park, from the pre 1973 5 Jeffery (which used to go downrown) to the 6 Jeffery Express and now the 15 Jeffery Local,  it is evident that that route serves Hyde Park.

• Thanks 1

Remember too that 6 and 14 swapped names with the 2003 restructuring (6, 14, and 26) with different markets. 

No historical marker for the 26, but at least that and the J/14 can now jump on LSD. Jackson Park 6 is basically a local zone. 

15, like the 28 local is to differentiate express and local (without making the nomenclature too difficult).