7000-series - Delivery & Updates

railfan4072

12 minutes ago, Mr.cta85 said:

I gotta feeling we're going to be seeing the prototype for these cars soon. Have anybody heard of anything?

Probably won't see the prototype until later this year.  If someone can get to the plant, you might be able to see them testing the cars, but again, that will probably be later this year.  Perhaps by year end or beginning of 2020, we might see testing on CTA tracks and in service testing by spring/summer 2020.  I'm thinking Summer/Fall 2021 for deliveries to begin if all goes well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Probably won't see the prototype until later this year.  If someone can get to the plant, you might be able to see them testing the cars, but again, that will probably be later this year.  Perhaps by year end or beginning of 2020, we might see testing on CTA tracks and in service testing by spring/summer 2020.  I'm thinking Summer/Fall 2021 for deliveries to begin if all goes well.

Go out on torrence on the bridge and you will see them if they are there. The test tracks are visible from the bridge. I go everywhere if I'm over there I'll take a look. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Has anyone went over there and seen what’s on the test tracks or are they just empty tracks I heard they started making 7000’s 

Checked last weekend and haven't seen anything, the prototypes are scheduled for delivery in late 2019 so it's quite possible we'll be seeing them testing this summer.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, TransitXan17 said:

Progress is moving forward! They are set to start building the first prototypes soon, with the first 10 cars being completed by the end of the year.

It's interesting that I can't find the original news articles for either of those, as it's my understanding that Mass Transit Mag just regurgitates other newspapers' transit articles

16 minutes ago, WCR said:

This makes me wonder if the 5000s will receive blue endcaps once the time comes for their mid-life. Sort of like how the 2400s and 2600s were stripped of their decals to match the 3200s.

Didn't some of the early 5000s have some sort of blue on the front? Also, I remember the 2400 decals, but what were the ones on the 2600s?

28 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Didn't some of the early 5000s have some sort of blue on the front? Also, I remember the 2400 decals, but what were the ones on the 2600s?

5009-10 were the first prototypes delivered and had a special livery. And maybe I misspoke, I meant the livery the 2600s were delivered in.

Both photos taken from chicago-l.org

cta2635.jpg

cta5009e.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WCR said:

5009-10 were the first prototypes delivered and had a special livery. And maybe I misspoke, I meant the livery the 2600s were delivered in.

Both photos taken from chicago-l.org

cta2635.jpg

cta5009e.jpg

Ah, no wonder I don't remember those, they started being refurbished the year I was born. I always thought that was a separate series of railcar that got retired before I started taking an interest in public transit. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...