More Bus Moves

sw4400

Yeah maybe,however there was no school for CPS Students today which makes it looked odd for some reason to be a school run.

Yeah that is odd, but I guess a run still has to be on the street regardless. Maybe it gets repurposed as additional capacity for 62 when there is no school...

• Upvote 1

Yeah that's true but I wish there would be Artic school run every once in a while on the 9, but then again where would it begin and end?

Unfortunately, Kedzie wouldn't be able to provide service because of the full capacity of their artics. If it was, then my guess of a school route is Jackson to Irving Park. Then Irving Park to Jackson before deadheading back to the garage via Van Buren or Eisenhower Expressway. Having service from 103rd and North Park are very improbable.

I'm assuming it's for a movie then.

Did you see it as well?

Yeah I saw it. It's right under the Madison/Washington entrance/exit stairs on the blue line. BTW, it's all over the news tonight, at least on Fox 32 that they are shooting a movie called Batman VS. Spiderman, they have Clark shut down tonight in the vicinity of Madison or Monroe. They claim there going to shut down Adams one day over the weekend with low flying helicopters in the loop expected in the daylight afternoon period on the weekend. Here's a link to the story as well as video of the story I saw.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/27330372/batman-v-superman-filming-to-affect-traffic-in-loop

Should be some bus moves this weekend. 77th is hovering in the 290's for fleet total and usually they start transferring buses when that happens so will 74th get more #1900's? It's a strong possibility.

Speaking of moves, when I rode 1349 on the 136 earlier this evening (Friday), it had a white sheet affixed to its front windshield dated November 7th saying that the bus was to be taken to garage 368 (or 268?) which from that sheet I'm guessing the number is an internal CTA code for garages. Not sure if the sheet meant that 1349 was to be sent somewhere else other than NP at the end of the day or that 1349 had been returned to NP at the end of a heavy maintenance cycle and the operator forgot to remove the sheet.

Yeah I saw it. It's right under the Madison/Washington entrance/exit stairs on the blue line. BTW, it's all over the news tonight, at least on Fox 32 that they are shooting a movie called Batman VS. Spiderman, they have Clark shut down tonight in the vicinity of Madison or Monroe. They claim there going to shut down Adams one day over the weekend with low flying helicopters in the loop expected in the daylight afternoon period on the weekend. Here's a link to the story as well as video of the story I saw.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/27330372/batman-v-superman-filming-to-affect-traffic-in-loop

I believe you mean Batman vs. Superman. Batman vs. Spiderman wouldn't probably be a fair fight as Spiderman has his wit and webs and Batman has his gadgets and sidekicks. How he can take on Superman and win would be beyond me, since Superman is the last son of Krypton and the strongest man on Earth... but I digress...

Anyways, little typo there and I'm going all OT about Superheroes.... :blink:

Yesterday I was heading north on 1st Avenue by North Avenue and Maywood Park, and I saw one of these on a big tow truck. I wonder what it was doing there...

Could've been going for maintenance. Question was it 9799, or another GM Fishbowl? When I saw 9799 at IRM over a year ago, it looked like it was in a state of disrepair. I couldn't say anything about it's running condition, as the bus was parked in a barn.

post-10-0-17557300-1415499932_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-26413800-1415499951_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-70266300-1415499965_thumb.jpg

Yeah I saw it. It's right under the Madison/Washington entrance/exit stairs on the blue line. BTW, it's all over the news tonight, at least on Fox 32 that they are shooting a movie called Batman VS. Superman*, they have Clark shut down tonight in the vicinity of Madison or Monroe. They claim there going to shut down Adams one day over the weekend with low flying helicopters in the loop expected in the daylight afternoon period on the weekend. Here's a link to the story as well as video of the story I saw.

Well the Batman vs Superman movie was first mentioned the same month that Man of Steel was released in theaters last year. And since Chicago served as Metropolis in that film I'm not surprised that what they were doing down in the old Washington Red Line station was some initial principal filming for this newer movie. The bigger surprise is that they starting some filming already. And since Chicago was also Gotham City in the Christian Bale Batman movies, on fun tidbit to ponder is which city will be Gotham in this movie that has Ben Affleck taking over as the Dark Knight. :P

*original quote post corrected to reflect the correct superhero appearing with Superman that Bushunter meant to say

Could've been going for maintenance. Question was it 9799, or another GM Fishbowl? When I saw 9799 at IRM over a year ago, it looked like it was in a state of disrepair. I couldn't say anything about it's running condition, as the bus was parked in a barn.

I really wish I had the answer for you. I just looked up as I was driving by it, so I could only see the blur of green. :(

Have to wonder though if operators supposedly not being able to pass up their leaders comes into play. I've seen this scenario on other routes where that operator caught up with his leader within a few blocks or less, slowed down until the leader was back to a distance ahead of him that was more than that few blocks and sped back up to the speed of surrounding traffic. Other operators though just take that attitude of if they pass the leader so be it because they don't feel like slow dragging it most of the way with an empty bus.

If you catch up with your leader, you are SUPPOSED to pass him, as long as you do not end up ahead of schedule as a result. Where you have a problem is if you have a 10-minute headway and your leader is consistently 9 minutes late. Then you end up dragging behind him for miles. Can't go around as now you will be early, so you stay behind.

If you catch up with your leader, you are SUPPOSED to pass him, as long as you do not end up ahead of schedule as a result. Where you have a problem is if you have a 10-minute headway and your leader is consistently 9 minutes late. Then you end up dragging behind him for miles. Can't go around as now you will be early, so you stay behind.

Thank you!!! That's what you're supposed to do!!! I see all too often Operators that don't do this(I've been on some of these buses). For example....

I catch a #9 SB at Belmont(1934) and around Diversey, the bus catches up to another bus picking up passengers(1142). Well, as we continue SB, 1142 is still the leader and as we approach Elston, 1142 stops to pick up/unload passengers. Well 1934 has the green light and no "Stop Requested" notifications for the driver, yet he pulls up behind 1142 and waits while the light goes red and both are now sitting at Elston rather than 1934 leapfrogging around 1142 and heading to Cortland(and the Clever Device on 1934 says Schedule Late: 3).

That's what puzzles me.... if you're not crazy early(I would say less than 10 minutes early), you should just leapfrog and continue, otherwise you're just bunching service up. Sometimes, I wonder if some Operators do this just because they don't want to pick up passengers and just want to shadow their leader instead.

Thank you!!! That's what you're supposed to do!!! I see all too often Operators that don't do this(I've been on some of these buses). For example....

I catch a #9 SB at Belmont(1934) and around Diversey, the bus catches up to another bus picking up passengers(1142). Well, as we continue SB, 1142 is still the leader and as we approach Elston, 1142 stops to pick up/unload passengers. Well 1934 has the green light and no "Stop Requested" notifications for the driver, yet he pulls up behind 1142 and waits while the light goes red and both are now sitting at Elston rather than 1934 leapfrogging around 1142 and heading to Cortland(and the Clever Device on 1934 says Schedule Late: 3).

That's what puzzles me.... if you're not crazy early(I would say less than 10 minutes early), you should just leapfrog and continue, otherwise you're just bunching service up. Sometimes, I wonder if some Operators do this just because they don't want to pick up passengers and just want to shadow their leader instead.

An article came out of England about 25 years ago about a small, rural bus company that went between several small towns.

The company's buses were always late. The company's response was: "Our buses wouldn't be late if they didn't have to stop for passengers!"

And the 22, the route I was responding about, operates on that or less most of the time in the daytime and early evening hours, and there are many times where certain operators are consistently late by that 9 minutes you mentioned as an example. So what I mentioned still comes into play as a possibility of what might have been happening even if I didn't know that the condition was not making themselves early for the leapfrogging to occur.

And the 9 is another route that's on a 10 minute headway or less a lot of times with operators falling behind by at least the length of the headway. It explains why you might see leapfrogging on that route more often in the offpeak hours as well as situations where an operator drags behind his leader along one stretch and then in a different stretch further down the route the same two operators are leapfrogging.

• Upvote 1