More Bus Moves

sw4400

I've ridden those several times on 3, 4 and 74 and you're right. It does have a distinctive sound and Jajuan (I think) compared it to the MAN Americanas of the 80's and 90's.

LOL I actually I was speaking of the sound of the brakes releasing before the bus takes off that was originally only heard on the Allison NFs but now is heard on every NF CTA has including the artics.

The question is how many buses in the 6400-6430? range 103rd has to get rid of. I bet much fewer than 74th.

Well based on Bushunter's latest roster update made earlier today this is what 74th has from the 30 lowest numbered Novas: #6400, #6401, #6403, #6405 - #6411, #6413 - #6419, #6421- #6422. 6479-6488 are also assigned there if we want to expand out to the lowest 100 old Novas. But the interesting thing is that's been the case for a few months now, and what 6400s that have left 74th's roster have been various 6600s sent to C and FG to apparently knock out worst case 6400 series Novas at those two garages. 74th has let to drop anything numbered 64xx so far. But 74th still has once again gone back to being a New Flyer majority garage either way.

I took the Ashland bus home earlier this evening(around 5:30-ish).... NB traffic and SB traffic was awful. Buses NB were literately back-to-back-to-back-to-back. The one that passed mine I guess terminated early(around Fullerton perhaps rather than at Irving Park as passengers we picked up kept asking if the bus was going to Irving Park). When I finally got to my destination, I took a peek at the Bus Operators' Clever Devices unit and had to do a double take....

Schedule Late: 88

My bus was 88 minutes late!!! I'm sure it wasn't the operator's fault because traffic was so terrible, but I'm sure the Traffic Supervisor will have some words about that, and the Garage Supervisor may have some words with the Traffic Supervisor about not getting some of the buses turned around and sent back south.

• Upvote 3

I took the Ashland bus home earlier this evening(around 5:30-ish).... NB traffic and SB traffic was awful. Buses NB were literately back-to-back-to-back-to-back. The one that passed mine I guess terminated early(around Fullerton perhaps rather than at Irving Park as passengers we picked up kept asking if the bus was going to Irving Park). When I finally got to my destination, I took a peek at the Bus Operators' Clever Devices unit and had to do a double take....

Schedule Late: 88

My bus was 88 minutes late!!! I'm sure it wasn't the operator's fault because traffic was so terrible, but I'm sure the Traffic Supervisor will have some words about that, and the Garage Supervisor may have some words with the Traffic Supervisor about not getting some of the buses turned around and sent back south.

It's things like this that make me wonder if CTA is going to dodge questions about this again...

It's things like this that make me wonder if CTA is going to dodge questions about this again...

• They said something about CAD (computer aided dispatch?) software in the budget.
  • Wasn't the weather REAL CRUMMY last night? No way to avoid that with surface transportation.
  • Upvote 3

Looks like as of now the 1900's are intact at 77th. Most of higher ones still at 77th.

The lower ones sure aren't, BusTracker indicates the following on 74th routes at the moment:1903,* 1915,* 1930-1934.

However, there seems to be a higher number of Novas than reported usual on a weekend.

*I suppose an argument can be made about bus on Western.

The lower ones sure aren't, BusTracker indicates the following on 74th routes at the moment:1903,* 1915,* 1930-1934.

However, there seems to be a higher number of Novas than reported usual on a weekend.

Yeah I meant the ones that 77th has left.

• They said something about CAD (computer aided dispatch?) software in the budget.
  • Wasn't the weather REAL CRUMMY last night? No way to avoid that with surface transportation.

On the second point, DING DING DING. For all the technological investments made and yet to be made, you're not going to get around crappy weather having traffic all mucked up and having a detrimental impact on bus service. The buses do share the road with the rest of that traffic.

On the second point, DING DING DING. For all the technological investments made and yet to be made, you're not going to get around crappy weather having traffic all mucked up and having a detrimental impact on bus service. The buses do share the road with the rest of that traffic.

I actually understand that point, jajuan.... but when you're in a business, you expect fast results. I have long lines at my store at times and work as quick as I can to get my customers, both at the register and the Service Desk, taken care of in-between solving issues at other registers and getting liquor purchases for Cashiers under 21. My Store Director recently said I got to be quicker in response to the customers' needs, but there's only so much I can do given the length of the lines and the work I must perform.

In regards to CTA, similar boat. With heavy traffic and full loads of passengers, a bus can only travel so quickly, but the management from above no doubt won't care about that. They want to see results quickly.... I once had a Ashland bus about 4 minutes away and the next one 6-7 minutes away... that first bus didn't even stop, just passed us by and there was room on board. In regards to yesterday, there was no supervisor up ahead, so I guess the bus that passed us while we picked up more passengers got it's orders to terminate early via the Mobile Data device on board, and the Operator told the passengers, who no doubt groaned and b*****d about that decision, much like my customers do if I have to leave my register to help someone at the desk, get a 21, etc... for a brief few minutes.

I'm sure that Bus Operator got an earful about being 88 minutes late, even though it wasn't his fault.

Yeah did you see Michigan Avenue? I took some pictures cause it was horrible the traffic around 5PM. There was some guy tooting his horn consistently and I was LMAO because where did he think he was going to go everything was locked up. I was wondering if it's the hotels down there and their Halloween parties or what?

There was like 5 #6's in a row going down State around 6PM one operator on Michigan made a left at Randolph/Mich because it would have took him a half hour to get to Wacker Drive. I was wanting to check out #1993 on the #4 but even though it was at the terminal it didn't come out for like 30-40 minutes even though the tracker said 6 minutes. Everything was real slow. The #29 took about an hour - hour 1/2 to go from State/Lake to the pier and back the whole time displaying 10-20 minutes to arrival at State/lake. Then I was looking at the #77 on the tracker it said next one was 37 minutes around 8PM and I was amazed. My alternate the #76 was just as bad at 25 minutes until the next bus. i went a third option that worked well and did what I needed to do. Didn't know the tracker shows over 30 minutes.

I actually understand that point, jajuan.... but when you're in a business, you expect fast results. I have long lines at my store at times and work as quick as I can to get my customers, both at the register and the Service Desk, taken care of in-between solving issues at other registers and getting liquor purchases for Cashiers under 21. My Store Director recently said I got to be quicker in response to the customers' needs, but there's only so much I can do given the length of the lines and the work I must perform.

In regards to CTA, similar boat. With heavy traffic and full loads of passengers, a bus can only travel so quickly, but the management from above no doubt won't care about that. They want to see results quickly.... I once had a Ashland bus about 4 minutes away and the next one 6-7 minutes away... that first bus didn't even stop, just passed us by and there was room on board. In regards to yesterday, there was no supervisor up ahead, so I guess the bus that passed us while we picked up more passengers got it's orders to terminate early via the Mobile Data device on board, and the Operator told the passengers, who no doubt groaned and b*****d about that decision, much like my customers do if I have to leave my register to help someone at the desk, get a 21, etc... for a brief few minutes.

I'm sure that Bus Operator got an earful about being 88 minutes late, even though it wasn't his fault.

Ummm even in this day of "give me fast results" there comes a point where even management who seemed to want the impossible get a dose of cold hard reality. And yesterday was one of those kinds of days. What managers usually want to see is that you made a realistic attempt to resolve an issue. At any rate, given how bad the weather was across the WHOLE city I'm sure supervisors and managers were not expecting operators to just bulldoze through all those other cars and trucks on the street. Traffic was a mess everywhere and just about everybody was late to varying degrees. So I'm sure supervisors would have been more surprised at any bus operators who actually were anywhere close to being on time than they were at all the ones who were late. And given that the #9 is a very long route in operating between 95th and Irving Park, which even on a normal day can take two to two and a half hours, it's not that hard to see a bus getting hung up in traffic to the point of being 88 mins behind.

1903 and 1915 wouldn't be a surprise since both of those are actually assigned to North Park and North Park shares that route with 74th. Plus I think the 1900s in question are mainly Allison transmission ones that 77th operated.

Yesterday I had to wait 45 mins for a bus going SB on Ashland and what really made me upset was that their was 10 buses in a close convoy with each other. Some were barely filled from what I saw.

Folks probably took other routes where and when possible. Few are going to wait 45 minutes if there's an alternative of routes they can take.

I know this should probably be on a Random Metra thread, but it's about last night's bad weather.

What really surprised me about last night's weather was that the Union Pacific didn't delay trains like they usually do for high winds.

Metra must have read the UP the riot act over that, since the CN never canceled any parallel Milw trains during similar weather in the past.

I know this should probably be on a Random Metra thread, but it's about last night's bad weather.

What really surprised me about last night's weather was that the Union Pacific didn't delay trains like they usually do for high winds...

Interesting that they didn't delay trains, considering that yesterday was one of the windiest days I'll remember. Never before has a tailwind caused me to accelerate at all while walking.

The wind seemed to have died down just a bit when I was picking a friend up from the Ridgeland Green Line stop, but before I left, there was a decent inch of snow on the car.

I actually understand that point, jajuan.... but when you're in a business, you expect fast results. I have long lines at my store at times and work as quick as I can to get my customers, both at the register and the Service Desk, taken care of in-between solving issues at other registers and getting liquor purchases for Cashiers under 21. My Store Director recently said I got to be quicker in response to the customers' needs, but there's only so much I can do given the length of the lines and the work I must perform.....

Especially with staff cutbacks on bus, I don't think that CTA can solve it with "additional checker at cash register 6."

As my mother used to say "unless the bus is a helicopter, you have to sit."

That is unless Rahm gets his Ashland BRT and finds some way to keep other traffic off the reserved lanes.

Yeah did you see Michigan Avenue? I took some pictures cause it was horrible the traffic around 5PM. ...

Don't you think that LSD north of there having lanes closed due to waves crashing onto it might have had an effect?