More Bus Moves

sw4400

What is weird is they gave way out of order like they left behind 1928,1929,1941,1944,1945,1948,1952,1954,1956 and 1982, 1990 and 1993 are all still at 77th . I wonder if these are just temporary loans, the same thing happened to Chicago and 74th a couple weeks ago. Either 74th/C and 103rd must be short on operable busses or the 1900's will leave every weekend overnight like most moves happen.

AW JEEZ!! FG is so the dog of CTA garages!! Surprisingly 77th has sent out the #1900's. Maybe that's there plan to keep those away from the Glen. LOL!! :ph34r:B) I wonder if it's possible what CTA5750 says is right Fg will not get nothing off this order but broke down Novas. I thought they might be getting something around the 200th #7900 but I think they may hold some Novas until the #1000 rehab is over Oct/Nov 2015. Then FG may see something if they are not yet onto the last 150 option if that happens. Then they might be replacing buses one for one for #7900's. If not I might start barking the dog blues!! LOL!! :lol::P

Presuming the holes in the 7900-Series block are built and sitting at Plattsburgh waiting to be driven to Chicago, the 8000's will probably start to roll in around January, 2015(as the first of this block are probably on the assembly line). I wonder when will the CTA green light or drop the 150 option. Will they wait until somewhere in the mid-8000's or perhaps 8100 before announcing/declining the option? I know as it stands now, the contract will deliver buses from 7900-8199.

What is weird is they gave way out of order like they left behind 1928,1929,1941,1944,1945,1948,1952,1954,1956 and 1982, 1990 and 1993 are all still at 77th . I wonder if these are just temporary loans, the same thing happened to Chicago and 74th a couple weeks ago. Either 74th/C and 103rd must be short on operable busses or the 1900's will leave every weekend overnight like most moves happen.

Yeah but look at that list, those are all rehabbed buses or buses reported as at south shops getting rehabbed. Putting more buses at a certain garage gives me the impression that they want to rehab more of their buses than somewhere else. They seem to go in spurts one week NP gets alot of rehabbed buses then it's Kedzie. Lately it's been 103rd. Now whenever something gets moved from 77th like #1968 or #1936 which was already rehabbed if you notice it gets brought back. Now as far as 74th getting unrehabbed #1900's it does make a little sense because they have a high amount of rehabbed buses. Np getting rehabbed buses seem to point to the fact that they need more rehabbed buses like they are short. It's all a balancing act with C, 6, 1 getting unrehabbed and NP, K, 77th getting rehabbed buses.

• Upvote 2

#6661 and #6662 are on #54 right now. What..... the..... hell....

Oh thank god!! :P They forgot to send those to FG!! :rolleyes: You know I was thinking now all garages except FG, K have at least some part of those longitudinal #1000's.(#1931- #2029) At least Fg doesn't have a longitudinal seat bus. Here, Here!! (raises glass) LOL!! (uh oh there's #6618 still)

• Upvote 1

Oh thank god!! :P They forgot to send those to FG!! :rolleyes: You know I was thinking now all garages except FG, K have at least some part of those longitudinal #1000's.(#1931- #2029) At least Fg doesn't have a longitudinal seat bus. Here, Here!! (raises glass) LOL!! (uh oh there's #6618 still)

Wow! :lol: On the long run though, FG can't continue to get more Novas at this rate. If 74th continues to get more 1900s, then it's leaving a burden towards FG by giving it Novas from 74th. 77th has to forfeit more or all NF's. FG can't bare with 400+ Novas for God's sake!

I saw a bus convoy on Western and Roscoe this morning. I kid you not, there were 4 buses back-to-back-to-back-to-back all under a minute. I only saw 2 of the buses in the convoy (#1127 and #1153).

Western regularly gets bunching like that especially in that area with the Lane Tech High School campus being right there just north of the shopping area centered at Roscoe.

Wow! :lol: On the long run though, FG can't continue to get more Novas at this rate. If 74th continues to get more 1900s, then it's leaving a burden towards FG by giving it Novas from 74th. 77th has to forfeit more or all NF's. FG can't bare with 400+ Novas for God's sake!

Well considering 77th needs at least 270-some total buses to run its routes it's doubtful that it's going to give up ALL its NFs. But it does look like assigning the first 7900s to 77th is facilitating 6400s from 74th being used to knock off worse shape 6400s at other garages.

Yeah they probably are sending some of these beat up fg novas to south shop as some of these amber ones aren't doing so well. They are starting to show that they are losing maintenance a little as they are in higher demand. Had #6866 last night and it died out like 2-3 times. These others from the other garages have at least had a little rest

Western regularly gets bunching like that especially in that area with the Lane Tech High School campus being right there just north of the shopping area centered at Roscoe.

When I went to that school way back in the early 1960s, there were always six 49 buses staged at Western/Cornelia to go NB for the 2:32 PM end of classes. They left as soon as they were loaded.

There were also six 152s staged WB at Addison/Campbell at the same time also leaving as soon as they were loaded.

I have no idea if they still do that now.

Poor Novas they really starting to show their age. I'm really glad I got a chance to operate them on the 29 a few times when they were at 103rd. The last bus with the old cta logo on them but the good thing the 7900's resemble them so much cause in a way once they're officially gone it'll be cool to know that Novas are still around.

When I went to that school way back in the early 1960s, there were always six 49 buses staged at Western/Cornelia to go NB for the 2:32 PM end of classes. They left as soon as they were loaded.

There were also six 152s staged WB at Addison/Campbell at the same time also leaving as soon as they were loaded.

I remember at least up to the early 2000s, it appeared that similar operations on both routes during school dismissal times when riding on the 152 through there. I can't remember if the same were true with the X49 though since it was still operating at that time.

Did they have those guys that stood at the back door collecting fares in the 60's with those strap on change machines, they did in the 90's when I was over there. That was classic. Just when you thought that died I saw the new high tech version of collecting fares at the back door. There's a guy that shows up at belmont Blue line around 5 PM with a portable ventra machine/farebox on what looks like a dolly. Maybe they show up at sporting events too. i needed to take his picture, would be nice if there was an old classic picture on how it used to be done.

Did they have those guys that stood at the back door collecting fares in the 60's with those strap on change machines, they did in the 90's when I was over there. That was classic. Just when you thought that died I saw the new high tech version of collecting fares at the back door. There's a guy that shows up at Belmont Blue line around 5 PM with a portable Ventra machine/farebox on what looks like a dolly. Maybe they show up at sporting events too. i needed to take his picture, would be nice if there was an old classic picture on how it used to be done.

Yes, they had the collectors there. They were also at Wrigley Field after a ball game.

I've never seen the portable Ventra machine, but one place it's needed is Water Tower Place for the NB buses there. There are a number of places they should be at for the afternoon rush hour, plus special events.

Not only would it speed up the bus loading, but by loading through the rear door, it would get more people in the back of the bus, instead of crowding at the front.

But what would also help with people using the rear door, is that the drivers should not only kneel their buses, but use the tilting function that most of the artics have. I rarely see an artic tilted to make it easier to board or get off a bus.

Yes, they had the collectors there. They were also at Wrigley Field after a ball game.

I've never seen the portable Ventra machine, but one place it's needed is Water Tower Place for the NB buses there. There are a number of places they should be at for the afternoon rush hour, plus special events.

Not only would it speed up the bus loading, but by loading through the rear door, it would get more people in the back of the bus, instead of crowding at the front.

But what would also help with people using the rear door, is that the drivers should not only kneel their buses, but use the tilting function that most of the artics have. I rarely see an artic tilted to make it easier to board or get off a bus.

The artics aren't the only buses with the tilt feature. The 1000s also sport this feature. I've seen it in action a number of times on the #9 and #22 and was surprised to see that 40 foot buses could tilt since I also previously thought it was a feature only the artics could do. I wonder though if the regularity of use has anything to do with the experience of the operator since most times I see it used on any bus is when the operator is a line instructor.