7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

Hi guys,

So I live in Cleveland right off I-90.

Every couple weeks I see a shiny new Nova drive by headed for Chicago.

Is that really how they deliver each one to CTA from their NY plant?

Driving them? Seems expensive. I figured they would put each new bus on a

freight train to Chicago and save on gas and driver's pay. Sorry this

is slightly off-topic it just surprised me.

Well you have confirmed that Nova also delivers their buses like that. Thanks! I've seen eastbound NYC MTA and Boston MBTA "T" buses on I-294 and I-90 west of Chicago but they are New Flyers.

Its really bothering me that the 8000's at 74th still don't have they 6 sticker in the windshield lol. It's making me think they won't be there long ,77th 7900's all have their new buses stickered up, come on 74th lol.

I see today that 21 Cermak to McCormick Pl and Orange Line using 8000 today.

The timing of that is way too coincidental. Last time I checked, the 21 is a kedzie route and there is no reason for 74th to loan Kedzie when Chicago is closer and 77th can get to cermak faster. This probably means that if it is a loan, it probably came from the 62 or Mr. CTA is right. Now, we wait to see if the #8000's leave 74th and if CTA will continue to screw over FG

The timing of that is way too coincidental. Last time I checked, the 21 is a kedzie route and there is no reason for 74th to loan Kedzie when Chicago is closer and 77th can get to cermak faster. This probably means that if it is a loan, it probably came from the 62 or Mr. CTA is right. Now, we wait to see if the #8000's leave 74th and if CTA will continue to screw over FG

Probably just a extra for the Auto Show. It's not out there anymore.

I see today that 21 Cermak to McCormick Pl and Orange Line using 8000 today.

In the past CTA ran specials between the Halsted Orange Line and McCormick Place for the AutoShow on weekends. I;m surprised CTA would still run those considering there is a new Green Line station at Cermak wihich allows for a free transfer to the Orange Line at Roosevelt.

• Upvote 2

In the past CTA ran specials between the Halsted Orange Line and McCormick Place for the AutoShow on weekends. I;m surprised CTA would still run those considering there is a new Green Line station at Cermak wihich allows for a free transfer to the Orange Line at Roosevelt.

Which reaffirms someone's point (can't remember) that the new station can't fully serve what was supposed to be its main attraction. Either that, or CTA was being considerate by trying to get some people to stay out the cold, but I think they would've advertised that.

Was there a bus there? When the auto show was in DC, before it came to Chiberia, WMATA took the chance to showcase one of the new #8000s (NABI 42-LFW), #8102 specifically. Wouldn't put it past CTA to showcase #8033 or something at the Chicago Auto Show

No. (1) This show is run by the Chicago Auto Dealers Association. and thus is pretty much only consumer oriented. (2) As Garmon implied, the only reason he got that shot was that the bus was running on one of the special shuttles for the Auto Show (in this case, extra service on 21 between McCormick Place and Halsted Orange Line).

Its really bothering me that the 8000's at 74th still don't have they 6 sticker in the windshield lol. It's making me think they won't be there long ,77th 7900's all have their new buses stickered up, come on 74th lol.

They'll get around to it eventually. Smart Buses are still new for them considering they've only been operating from there for about three or four weeks. If I'm not mistaken, it did take 77th at least this long to get garage stickers on their first 7900s. So it's highly doubtful they're going anywhere else besides 74th any time soon. Plus things are so unsettled at 74th right now with reports that some former FG Novas have made their way back to FG as it seems there are now enough 7900s at 74th to start displacing buses. (And as BusHunter thought and I agreed with, it would indeed seem to be 6400s are the buses to be displaced and not NFs). At any rate, it's no surprise that 74th's 7900s have not gotten garage stickers yet with all the shuffling bringing their older sisters in and right back out of the garage and therefore keeping garage maintenance and other relevant staff busy keeping track of what's there and what's not for any given instant.

If anyone's interested in the percentage of getting a 8000 to ride on a 74th route currently, here's the probability(based on total buses at 74th as a whole and total Nova LFS Smart Buses at 74th)....

10% Chance Of Riding A Nova LFS Smart Bus(8000-8099)

I'm still waiting patiently for my 1st ride, and will try to document with a pic or two when it happens...

If anyone's interested in the percentage of getting a 8000 to ride on a 74th route currently, here's the probability(based on total buses at 74th as a whole and total Nova LFS Smart Buses at 74th)....

I'm still waiting patiently for my 1st ride, and will try to document with a pic or two when it happens...

Probably less chances than that SW. If you figure buses are available 3 hrs in the morning and evening rush for 6 hours in a service day and you added that all up to get 30 hours per week out of a possible 178 hours per week. I would say rough estimate your chances are 1/6th of 10 percent (if 10 percent is based on a percentage of the fleet being #8000's) or 1.66 percent. :P Happy hunting!! :P:lol:

I had a great time with my kids at the Auto Show. I managed to get a shot of #8019. It was operating #21 before changing to the Orange Line Shuttle.

Yeah I was at the auto show too tonight. I believe in years past they did try to run some of the newer buses on the shuttles that ran from downtown. It's probably no different than seeing #1755 debut at the fireworks show, when they had it at grant park. That would be foreign soil for a 74th bus which back then had Archer garage doing the #62's.

Yeah I was at the auto show too tonight. I believe in years past they did try to run some of the newer buses on the shuttles that ran from downtown. It's probably no different than seeing #1755 debut at the fireworks show, when they had it at grant park. That would be foreign soil for a 74th bus which back then had Archer garage doing the #62's.

I remembered (if I'm not mistaking) around the late 90s, early 2000s they used to have a mix of Kedzie, 74th, and 77th Flxibles (6000s) helping out Chicago routes after the fireworks. I was on 61XX on #20. I remembered #1743 and #1747 debuted on #3 for the fireworks in 2008. It was my first time going to the Auto Show in over 20 years.

Now I'm riding 7942 on 79 79th. I see 8039 by 79th & Vincennes.

I think there's only 10-15 left out of the #8000 - #8049. There's #8013 which is reported here but I never saw, #8026, #8029-33, #8036-39, #8046 which are here at south shops. So that leaves us #8034, #8035, #8040 - #8045, #8047 - #8049. (11 buses)

Checking for 74th's Nova LFS Smart Buses:

As of 2:13p on 2/23/15:

Not In Service Not Yet Delivered Brand New In-Service

8000:

8001: #49

8002: #9

8003: #54B

8004: #62H

8005:

8006:

8007:

8008:

8009:

8010:

8011:

8012:

8013:

8014: #9

8015:

8016: #67

8017:

8018:

8019: #63

8020:

8021:

8022:

8023:

8024:

8025:

8026:

8027: #9

8028: #59

8029:

8030:

8031:

8032:

8033:

8034:

8035:

8036:

8037:

8038:

8039:

8040:

8041:

8042:

8043:

8044:

8045:

8046:

Gotta try and get out on Ashland during rush hour SW to get one SW. :lol: Had my second ride on one, 8027 again on the #9, already which kind of surprised me that I did so soon (remember my first ride was on Friday afternoon) since there are currently still relatively lower chances being in luck with getting one out of 74th on a route that sees higher NF distribution as the #9 does. And by the way guys, I noticed in the operator's seat area that there was a low clearance warning sticker giving the 7900s' height as 10' 7". That's 3 inches taller than the 900s were and 7 inches shorter than the 800s. If FG does get some of the 7900s they'll probably want to slow their speed a bit at rail underpasses since clearances at north and northwest side rail underpasses do seem to tend to be on smaller than those on the south side.