8325-series Nova LFS - Deliveries & Assignments

sw4400

4 hours ago, Chicago Transit Fan said:

Chicago Transit Authority 8400-8499

FB_IMG_1569464410753.thumb.jpg.78d0a7ab91eed97732d687287350b02b.jpgFB_IMG_1569464436739.thumb.jpg.80ae21da468cfc75348b9092db61d209.jpg

If this isn't a joke, would you care to elaborate? As much as I would like to see more novas with 8325+ specs I can't really believe you here unless you provide more information.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

This looks like click bait.  I haven't seen any RFPs posted.  Also, if I am not mistaken, the original contract  for Nova was for up to 450 buses, which CTA now has.  There weren't any additional options beyond that.

This is all I can find, and I can't provide any background info for it as i just found this somewhere on the forums a while ago.

download_20191010_153718.png

6 minutes ago, Chicago Transit Fan said:

Well according to my resources at Nova CTA has a contract for more Nova Buses to replace the rest of the older Novas and this bus was one of them I followed to Texas to get information about it's a CTA Prototype DUE to the New Drivers window for the 8400 series.

If you read  @WCR post, it is very clear that Nova has already fulfilled its contractual obligations to CTA. And I stated earlier that there are no RFPs for me buses, which by the way, CTA (and Pace) has to post BY LAW.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

6400s are leased?  Never heard of that before

I don't think the 6400s are leased.  I believe some of the 4000 series artics ARE leased.  My only question would be if an RFP would have to be put out for leased buses?  If not, that would be the only way I could possibly see this - - whatever it is - - come to fruition.  However,  my guess is that even leases have to be bid on.

24 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I don't think the 6400s are leased.  I believe some of the 4000 series artics ARE leased.  My only question would be if an RFP would have to be put out for leased buses?  If not, that would be the only way I could possibly see this - - whatever it is - - come to fruition.  However,  my guess is that even leases have to be bid on.

An RFP is used for buses that haven’t been built yet. However, leasing buses would require board action, which would have been posted here if that had occurred.

2 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

An RFP is used for buses that haven’t been built yet. However, leasing buses would require board action, which would have been posted here if that had occurred.

So that answers that question.   CTA doesn't have to put out a bid for leased buses.  I believe the pictures are  demos and not actual CTA buses.  As you indicated,  the CTA board hasn't taken any action concerning new Novas.  

So Nova Bulit the Nova's for CTA but they were rejected because of the Rear Destination Sign Being At the right top corner of the bus, The Back

18 hours ago, artthouwill said:

So that answers that question.   CTA doesn't have to put out a bid for leased buses.  I believe the pictures are  demos and not actual CTA buses.  As you indicated,  the CTA board hasn't taken any action concerning new Novas.  

Door being all black, and the New Driver window Nova Introduced.

On 10/11/2019 at 9:35 AM, Chicago Transit Fan said:

Just was told this morning that those are demos for the CTA I'm very sorry about the incorrect information. 

On 10/11/2019 at 9:42 AM, WCR said:

Demos FOR the CTA? To test?

It isn't unusual for manufacturers to send TAs demo buses.  It serves two purposes. First it can gauge customer reaction to new or updated models.  Second, it can give the manufacturer a leg up on the competition when there are bids out.  I have driven demonstrators for private companies, some good and some horrible.  For the customer,  be it a TA or private company,  the demos gauge driver, maintenance,  and passenger reaction, basically for free, before deciding to incorporate a new product into the fleet.

As shown above, CTA plans a new bus order to replace the 6400s and start replacing the 1000s. The 2020 budget should be out within the next month or so (Metra has already released theirs, and Pace's will be released next week), and might give some more insight as to any new bus orders.

Here is some info about how the leasebacks work and why they are done: 

https://www.transitchicago.com/bus-leaseback-enhances-revenues/

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/19960316/ISSUE01/10007706/leasebacks-good-option-for-cta

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1998-01-20-9801200071-story.html

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20081114/NEWS02/200031833/cta-says-leaseback-dispute-jeopardizes-green-line-service-fragile-budget

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

It isn't unusual for manufacturers to send TAs demo buses.  It serves two purposes. First it can gauge customer reaction to new or updated models.  Second, it can give the manufacturer a leg up on the competition when there are bids out.  I have driven demonstrators for private companies, some good and some horrible.  For the customer,  be it a TA or private company,  the demos gauge driver, maintenance,  and passenger reaction, basically for free, before deciding to incorporate a new product into the fleet.

I'm aware of that, I just was taken by surprise when he said those Novas were for CTA

2 minutes ago, WCR said:

I'm aware of that, I just was taken by surprise when he said those Novas were for CTA

I still don't think they were specifically built FOR CTA.   I don't know if those buses ever came to Chicago.  Perhaps CTA reps went to Plattsburgh to view them.  Again,  these are demos.  They aren't built to any one agency's specs.  The gray at the bottom of the bus can give you a feel of how they might look in CTA livery without painting or wrapping the entire bus.   Besides that,  agencies don't "reject " demos.  

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...