More Bus Moves

sw4400

It ain't like one decided to be on 75th Street! Now that would be nice! :lol: I was shocked that it were so many NF's on #4 after I left from taking my fiancé to the doctor at U of C but nothing but 7900s on #2. I was like wtf man!!! :lol:

No nothing but 6400s on 75th Street when it's a weekday. :lol: Not even a New Flyer can be found on that route a lot of times on weekdays. :lol::P

Actually, CTA just got an order placed for 2,000 of these for Forest Glen, at $1,000/ea. That's right.... a $2,000,000 contract for these!!! At least the passengers on FG routes will be the most physically fit!!! :P:lol:

There was an article in Car and Driver a couple of months ago about the Indianapolis Peddle Pub, sort of the same idea, but with a beer keg. I guess with enough beer, people will do anything.

Actually, I thought you were going to refer to this.

Who the heck is in charge of bus assignments anyway?? Cause Im starting to understand the frustrations of people like cta5750 and SW why does FG have all those Novas? They should have at least so NF buses if they can't get any new Novas. While 77th is just having their cake and ice cream lol. FG deserve better than what they have, I mean eventually they gotta get something new right and I'm sure the 6400's aren't getting any more rehabs.

Maybe its politcal. Since I'm not a city dweller anymore, I haven't kept up much with aldermanic politics. It doesn't seem that the powers that be have a lot of love for the aldermen of the wards that encompass the FG area. Or maybe those aldermen don't have a lot of love for Rahm.

While it is political, and the CTA budget referred to "under the leadership of Mayor Rahm Emanuel" 16 times, I don't think it is political in that manner of micromanagement. Also, probably independent of giving Pawar the back of the hand, and assuming that one can mess with the people on the north side without the repercussions of doing it on the south side. He apparently figures that there are not enough north siders to turn on him to make a difference. While the 11 bus might be a political issue, I don't think old buses on the far northwest side and crosstown on the north side has become one.

If one wants to look at history back to 1972, either Archer or 77th got the new buses first. Archer one can probably explain as being in or near Bridgeport, home of all the Irish mayors. 77th, though is easier to explain. Whether it was getting 4400s first, demanding a trade with FG to get air conditioned buses, and getting 6000s and 6400s first, it was because community activists were screaming that they had the bad buses, and there usually was the newspaper announcement that 3 King Dr. was getting them first. Apparently the same community activists did not live near where "my [whatever] hurts" Derrick Rose grew up (74th and Wolcott--which is across the street from you know, where 7900 had its press gala).

If there is anything to associate with Emanuel, it is that he figured he had to get enough of the Black vote last time to show up 10 times at the 95th terminal to campaign, and promise the Red Line extension. He also must have greased the skids enough to get the Red Line shutdown without every preacher on the South Side complaining, despite what I had predicted. Also, unlike Alex Clifford, he has somehow avoided having Bobby Rush on his back.

Kind of weird #1961 has been at NP for two days. #1057 which was on the #155 yesterday was back on the #24 today and #1969 was back on the #79. #1193 was on the #9. It's hard to discern the transfers from the borrowed buses.

True, but there seems to be a little bit of numerical consistency with some, but not all of the reassignments.

1193-94 as well as 1197 were all operating on 74th St. routes this evening. Having joined 1195 & 1198-99 which migrated to 74th a few weeks ago, I'm assuming that they're reassignments rather than loaners.

In watching the show Person of Interest, it appears that the producers bought the body of car 2306 & have tricked it out to look like a NYC subway car.

You can see that the car has only two doors & some sort of trim added around them to make it look the the sliding doors of NYC, instead of the 2200s blinker doors.

But it's the front end & the window layout that gives its CTA origins away.

In watching the show Person of Interest, it appears that the producers bought the body of car 2306 & have tricked it out to look like a NYC subway car.

You can see that the car has only two doors & some sort of trim added around them to make it look the the sliding doors of NYC, instead of the 2200s blinker doors.

But it's the front end & the window layout that gives its CTA origins away.

BusHunter has that car as scrapped, so if it actually was that, Belson must have sold that part intact, instead of having a steam shovel chew it up. I thought you were referring to 2238, which was sold to Catchmo Productions, but you did not.

BusHunter has that car as scrapped, so if it actually was that, Belson must have sold that part intact, instead of having a steam shovel chew it up. I thought you were referring to 2238, which was sold to Catchmo Productions, but you did not.

Maybe the production designer just liked the number 2306, but it's actually a different car body.

Maybe the production designer just liked the number 2306, but it's actually a different car body.

Or it could have been just a mock up, but then one would have thought they would have used a NYC car as a guide. From what you said, it wasn't an intact car, and thus probably not 2238.

True, but there seems to be a little bit of numerical consistency with some, but not all of the reassignments.

1193-94 as well as 1197 were all operating on 74th St. routes this evening. Having joined 1195 & 1198-99 which migrated to 74th a few weeks ago, I'm assuming that they're reassignments rather than loaners.

#1195, #1198, and #1199 are officially 74th's thanks to the garage code sticker on their windshields.

Or it could have been just a mock up, but then one would have thought they would have used a NYC car as a guide. From what you said, it wasn't an intact car, and thus probably not 2238.

The number 2306, is done like NYC does it, a gray rectangle with black numbers in the rectangle, so it could have been any car body from the 2200s.

When the first show this season ran, I was sure it was a CTA 2200 & now that I've seen more of it, I'm positive it is, but the interior has been stripped & done up as an office.

For most shots, only the front end is shown, either facing the the cab, or an oblique view of the front, plus a long shot of the entire side, which has only two doors on the side, with the far end in darkness, as opposed to NYC cars which have three or four doors per side.

It's supposed to be in an abandoned subway station that was walled off from the rest of the system & forgotten about.

#1195, #1198, and #1199 are officially 74th's thanks to the garage code sticker on their windshields.

Yeah i knew they were all there except #1197, I just didn't put 2 and 2 together to get 4. Probably #1196 is there too. 74th would have to get something for the loss of #6880-83.

I'm kind of interested to see if #1346 will stay at Chicago, #1030 so far has stuck around and it was sent over in a similar circumstance straight from south shops as a rehabbed bus.

(yeah #1196 is on the #49)

• Upvote 1

Plus with more 7900s having filled in some missing gaps down at 77th, more New Flyers were bound to flow out of there to other garages. The main and real oddity is that many of the NFs didn't go back to garages that they had been assigned before 77th snatched them up and in a few cases displacing other NFs.

Plus with more 7900s having filled in some missing gaps down at 77th, more New Flyers were bound to flow out of there to other garages. The main and real oddity is that many of the NFs didn't go back to garages that they had been assigned before 77th snatched them up and in a few cases displacing other NFs.

77th does have some capacity to loan on a daily basis but the weird thing is even with 7900's there have been times recently where 77th is short on busses.

EDIT: 1961 is back at 77th on number 4