More Bus Moves

sw4400

I was riding #6679 on the #49 this morning and the driver used that bridge at Belmont/Clybourn to bypass traffic.

Must have been a new driver unfamiliar with the route.

I once rode a bike over that bridge. Never again, I was huffing & puffing all the way up. It was real early on a Sunday, so no traffic & it was 30 years ago, so it was in good shape then.

Does anybody know why at least 20 to 25 buses were parked on lower Wacker Drive and Randolph this morning? They seemed to all be 77th's buses, there were a few 7900's and artics down there as well.

There are now midday parking at Randolph/Columbus, Division/Hickory, Navy Pier. Getting to be like the Motor Coach, even some of the same routes involved!

I don't think anyone can pin that down. Undoubtedly first on the North-South. Lake-Dan Ryan in early 1970s, and obviously Brown Line around 2008.

A constraint on long trains before the CTA era is that there wasn't multiple car door control, so every other car had to have a conductor, so there wasn't an advantage to running longer trains.

Actually CRT started running 8's on the then-North-South (Howard-Jackson Pk and Ravenswood-Englewood) in the mid-1920's. Not using end doors on 1st and 8th car meant you only needed about 7 carlenghts of platform. 8's on Ravenswood disappeared in 1949 apparently, but always were on NS in rush hours Mon-Fri since. Later 8's replaced 6's on Saturday and still later midday, and finally on Sunday and at all times except late night. By the way, trivia: What was the last main line to run 2-car trains? Howard-Dan Ryan in the middle of the night, circa 2005! Surprised the heck out of me!

I was on the #3 yesterday and the bus had a new clever device installed. We were rolling down the street and all the sudden it poped up "call dispatch" The driver didn't even recognize it. Then about 30 seconds later it said "voice call complete". The driver didn't say anything besides good morning to passengers. I didn't think the new clever devices could record voice or make calls on them.

I was on the #3 yesterday and the bus had a new clever device installed. We were rolling down the street and all the sudden it poped up "call dispatch" The driver didn't even recognize it. Then about 30 seconds later it said "voice call complete". The driver didn't say anything besides good morning to passengers. I didn't think the new clever devices could record voice or make calls on them.

The old system (Orbital) had sound, but basically to listen if the driver was being mugged.

What you describe sounds like OnStar, and the Clever Device is linked to the base by cell phone link, but they way you describe it, nobody made a call.

Can somebody tell me why the hell #1870 is on 95E right now..... :huh:

Well with the start of spring pick coming on Sunday morning, it's possible that it's part of the likely bus reassignments that we know might come with the pick change. This weekend's pick change is bound to stir things up among the bus assignments with a number of posts Saturday and Sunday saying how certain buses at one garage are showing up on routes at a garage that wasn't those buses' previous home garage.

Well with the start of spring pick coming on Sunday morning, it's possible that it's part of the likely bus reassignments that we know might come with the pick change. This weekend's pick change is bound to stir things up among the bus assignments with a number of posts Saturday and Sunday saying how certain buses at one garage are showing up on routes at a garage that wasn't those buses' previous home garage.

True, but I didn't expect Chicago's 1800s at 103rd.

you mean winter pick lol